Kitchener Rangers 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
For me, I’ll give MM a B+ on this trade. For now. Here’s why:

No doubt he explored every trade possibility / trade partner. There may have been in his opinion only a couple teams that had ‘08 first rounders that they’d make available who he’d be interested in. As I said in previous posts, I did not want just any old first rounder in any Rehkopf deal. That first rounder would’ve had to have been projected as a very high-end to elite player at ages 18 and 19. (my McMichael example). So it looks like he chose picks that he could trade down the road, in lieu of that ‘08 1st, to maybe go towards acquiring a high-end to elite player in a couple years.

Someone mentioned the Owen Beck to Saginaw deal as a comparable. Beck went to Saginaw for their 16 year year-old 1st rounder (Aiden Young), 2 x 2nds and a 3rd. So if we say that instead of bringing in “just any ‘08 1st” (Young for example), he brought in a 2nd, 2 x 3rds, 3 x 4ths and a 7th.
At the end of the day, MM decided he’d rather have 2nd, 3rd, 3rd, 4th, 4th, 4th, 7th than “just any ‘08 1st”.

Let’s say MM had a choice between doing this deal and say a deadline deal with Oshawa. He may have preferred the picks to a player, Brady Smith, who, like Young, was the 17th overall pick in their draft year.

My only issue with the deal is that I feel he should have held out to have two of Brampton’s four 2nds included in the deal. Of course, maybe they had that conversation and instead of two 2nds in ‘25, extra 4ths were added? Who knows.

Now, if there is another shoe to drop where Valentini is part two of a two parter, then I’m thinking he gets an A to A+ on the deal.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
How does the second half of a two parter work? Maybe Andonovski is involved.

My comparable for Andonovski is the Jorian Donavan deal. That’s 2 x 2nds, 4 x 3rds and 2 x 4ths.

Instead of that return for Andonovski, maybe Ando to Brampton even up for Valentini at the deadline makes sense.

Then the entire deal would be :

To Brampton:
Rehkopf and Andonovski.

To Kitchener:
The picks in the Rehkopf deal and Valentini.

If Ando is worth the Donovan return, then theoretically, they send no report Valentini to us for the picks.

Is the package of 2 x 2nds, 4 x 3rds, 2 x 4ths fair value for Valentini?

If so, the deal makes sense.

Reactions: Matttheleaf

Matttheleaf

Apr 18, 2019
How does the second half of a two parter work? Maybe Andonovski is involved.

My comparable for Andonovski is the Jorian Donavan deal. That’s 2 x 2nds, 4 x 3rds and 2 x 4ths.

Instead of that return for Andonovski, maybe Ando to Brampton even up for Valentini at the deadline makes sense.

Then the entire deal would be :

To Brampton:
Rehkopf and Andonovski.

To Kitchener:
The picks in the Rehkopf deal and Valentini.

If Ando is worth the Donovan return, then theoretically, they send no report Valentini to us for the picks.

Is the package of 2 x 2nds, 4 x 3rds, 2 x 4ths fair value for Valentini?

If so, the deal makes sense.
I was also wondering or thinking that Ando may be a part of this deal closer to the deadline.

Romano with the 3-0 for Canada.

Reactions: East Avenue Bully

Squirrel88

Jul 1, 2023
So after last years deadline we gave up a full year of Rekhopf, for two picks and 2 months of Sale and Savard, net.
I mean, yeah, so long as a 5th round pick is the same value as a 2nd round pick this totally tracks. Same value. Definitely.

I think I'd have liked MM to gamble and go for an '08, but I get why he did this (I think). Rangers needed to replenish a lot of picks (ES has laid that argument out very clearly) and if you want to build up a war chest of assets to go buying you need some pick based trades. If Swick sticks in the AHL (big if) who brings back value other than Ando? They basically have 2 prime assets to trade. Maybe Swick is sent back and they get a Guindon style return (that would be great). After that? Parsons? Maybe Sale is back. Mercer? It gets pretty thin pretty quick. I was wondering if they would consider trading Ellinas in January - see what a time like Brampton or Brantford in a 2 year window would give up for him. Seems less likely, and less necessary, now.

This trade takes the heat off in refilling the proverbial cupboard. They need a 3rd in '26 and maybe some 5ths, but any other deals they do can be based around value maximization. They can start looking at picks farther out to build up collateral.

Like I said, I'm not convinced this was the right trade, but I'm not going to quibble over another 2nd. MM clearly shopped around and thought that this was the best he can do.

One minor point, I'm not sure Ando is the top D available at the deadline. Got to be Gibson, no? Unless we don't think the Soo make him available.

Matttheleaf

Apr 18, 2019
At this point, and even after the Rangers trade away more players I don't know if I see them missing the playoffs. I think they'll chug along until closer to the trade deadline when they move off their last big pieces but I still don't see them slipping into the bottom 2 of the West, especially if last years rookies continue to develop.

Reactions: Rangers True Blue

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
At this point, and even after the Rangers trade away more players I don't know if I see them missing the playoffs. I think they'll chug along until closer to the trade deadline when they move off their last big pieces but I still don't see them slipping into the bottom 2 of the West, especially if last years rookies continue to develop.
I see you guys, sarnia and Windsor fighting for the 8th spot(assuming you trade ando and swick)

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
On the theory of Valentini being in the mix:

If I’m Brampton, I want the first round comp pick if this player is not reporting. That’s where a deadline deal involving him does not make sense. We know as part of a two-part deal, the same assets can’t be transferred back to complete the deal. So that means none of the picks involved in the Rehkopf deal can be transferred back to Brampton for Valentini. The only other picks that the Rangers have that would be of interest are their 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round picks in 2028. I suppose those three picks could be sent back to Brampton for Valentini’s rights. But if I’m Brampton, I want more.
I want Andonovski.

So this is how things could play out:
During the September window, Brampton trades Valentini to the Rangers for the Ranger’s 2nd, 3rd and 4th picks in 2028. Then, once the Rangers get Valentini signed, the Rangers trade Andonovski to Brampton for Brampton’s 2nd, 3rd, and 4th picks in 2028.

So in effect, the 2028 picks involved in each of these deals cancel each other out. The trade effectively becomes Valentini for Andonovski. On the surface, that may look like a lopsided trade in the Rangers favor. But once you consider the value of Andonovski to be Jorian Donovan return (8 high picks), it doesn’t look lopsided at all.

This deal works out well for everybody. Brampton gets the players they want to go on a run this year along with a comp first round pick for next year‘s draft. Kitchener gets their draft pick cupboard restocked and bring in one of the top players from the 2024 draft. Valentini is happy to sign with the Rangers.

For all this to happen, though, there would already have to be agreements in place (pre Rehkopf trade) between the two teams and the Valentini camp that Valentini will report the Kitchener.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
For me, I’ll give MM a B+ on this trade. For now. Here’s why:

No doubt he explored every trade possibility / trade partner. There may have been in his opinion only a couple teams that had ‘08 first rounders that they’d make available who he’d be interested in. As I said in previous posts, I did not want just any old first rounder in any Rehkopf deal. That first rounder would’ve had to have been projected as a very high-end to elite player at ages 18 and 19. (my McMichael example). So it looks like he chose picks that he could trade down the road, in lieu of that ‘08 1st, to maybe go towards acquiring a high-end to elite player in a couple years.

Someone mentioned the Owen Beck to Saginaw deal as a comparable. Beck went to Saginaw for their 16 year year-old 1st rounder (Aiden Young), 2 x 2nds and a 3rd. So if we say that instead of bringing in “just any ‘08 1st” (Young for example), he brought in a 2nd, 2 x 3rds, 3 x 4ths and a 7th.
At the end of the day, MM decided he’d rather have 2nd, 3rd, 3rd, 4th, 4th, 4th, 7th than “just any ‘08 1st”.

Let’s say MM had a choice between doing this deal and say a deadline deal with Oshawa. He may have preferred the picks to a player, Brady Smith, who, like Young, was the 17th overall pick in their draft year.

My only issue with the deal is that I feel he should have held out to have two of Brampton’s four 2nds included in the deal. Of course, maybe they had that conversation and instead of two 2nds in ‘25, extra 4ths were added? Who knows.

Now, if there is another shoe to drop where Valentini is part two of a two parter, then I’m thinking he gets an A to A+ on the deal.

A lot of chatter about a player set up nicely in Chicago then Michigan. Would trade of Andonovski for Leenders and ‘06 D not named VonRichter work?

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
Canada vs Slovakia last night at the Hlinka Gretzky.......5-1
Romano with 2 goals!
1723035064541.png

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
A lot of chatter about a player set up nicely in Chicago then Michigan. Would trade of Andonovski for Leenders and ‘06 D not named VonRichter work?
The only way I do a trade involving Leenders is if we find by the deadline that Edwards may not be our goalie of the future and we get significant conditionals on Leenders, an ‘06, playing an OA season.

Leenders playing an OA season in 26–27 would be money in the bank for the Rangers. But if he does not play an OA season, his acquisition makes no sense at all.

Hence, the significant conditionals.

Gondrex

Apr 10, 2017
On the theory of Valentini being in the mix:

If I’m Brampton, I want the first round comp pick if this player is not reporting. That’s where a deadline deal involving him does not make sense. We know as part of a two-part deal, the same assets can’t be transferred back to complete the deal. So that means none of the picks involved in the Rehkopf deal can be transferred back to Brampton for Valentini. The only other picks that the Rangers have that would be of interest are their 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round picks in 2028. I suppose those three picks could be sent back to Brampton for Valentini’s rights. But if I’m Brampton, I want more.
I want Andonovski.

So this is how things could play out:
During the September window, Brampton trades Valentini to the Rangers for the Ranger’s 2nd, 3rd and 4th picks in 2028. Then, once the Rangers get Valentini signed, the Rangers trade Andonovski to Brampton for Brampton’s 2nd, 3rd, and 4th picks in 2028.

So in effect, the 2028 picks involved in each of these deals cancel each other out. The trade effectively becomes Valentini for Andonovski. On the surface, that may look like a lopsided trade in the Rangers favor. But once you consider the value of Andonovski to be Jorian Donovan return (8 high picks), it doesn’t look lopsided at all.

This deal works out well for everybody. Brampton gets the players they want to go on a run this year along with a comp first round pick for next year‘s draft. Kitchener gets their draft pick cupboard restocked and bring in one of the top players from the 2024 draft. Valentini is happy to sign with the Rangers.

For all this to happen, though, there would already have to be agreements in place (pre Rehkopf trade) between the two teams and the Valentini camp that Valentini will report the Kitchener.
I personally like this scenario, and of course your last paragraph is important. I’m just questioning the odds of this situation happening (Chicago / Michigan thing like dirty mentioned). Obviously Valentini’s talent level provides him with more options than most. Wondering if his agent has any history of favouring a certain league, or any particular OHL team over another (?)

On the Rehkopf trade, obviously I would have loved to have that 1st rounder, but I was hoping they would make this trade early. An almost completely depleted draft cupboard got us to this point, and I had personally felt the risks were too great for this not to happen…the potential for injury was there. The “bird in hand” analogy comes to mind. With the picks, it gives MM more options than before. Obviously whether or not the amount / quality of picks is up for debate.

Reactions: Rangers True Blue

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I personally like this scenario, and of course your last paragraph is important. I’m just questioning the odds of this situation happening (Chicago / Michigan thing like dirty mentioned). Obviously Valentini’s talent level provides him with more options than most. Wondering if his agent has any history of favouring a certain league, or any particular OHL team over another (?)

On the Rehkopf trade, obviously I would have loved to have that 1st rounder, but I was hoping they would make this trade early. An almost completely depleted draft cupboard got us to this point, and I had personally felt the risks were too great for this not to happen…the potential for injury was there. The “bird in hand” analogy comes to mind. With the picks, it gives MM more options than before. Obviously whether or not the amount / quality of picks is up for debate.
The odds of Valentini happening are not good I’d think. More likely to see a Hage to Sudbury type deal in September / comp pick.

Fun to talk about though I suppose. More so than the Kaeden Johnston hypotheticals I say. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Gondrex

OnlyUpFromHere49

Jun 6, 2023
McKenzie was just on the Mike Farwell Show and one quote got me a bit interested...

He mentioned that having these assets (picks) now in the bank allows them to potentially target a young player "one month, two, three months down the road."

Can't ready too much into it, but still a fun quote to dig in to since it's August and we have nothing else to do!

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
McKenzie was just on the Mike Farwell Show and one quote got me a bit interested...

He mentioned that having these assets (picks) now in the bank allows them to potentially target a young player "one month, two, three months down the road."

Can't ready too much into it, but still a fun quote to dig in to since it's August and we have nothing else to do!
The September defected player window opens up inside that timeframe.
Just saying.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
I like the words you're speaking!

(It's going to be so fun when he gets dealt to someone else :laugh: )
This is not a knock to the rangers at all but why would he de commit from Chicago in the USHL which is a top program, then Michigan in the NCAA which is another top program and has a track record of putting out top players year after year.

Chicago USHL
Last year Michael Hage got drafted first round.
Year before that Celebrini was there and after then went on to be the #1 pick
Year before that Fantilli was there and went on to be the #3 pick
Year before that Josh Doan and Sean Farrell were there and they’ve done pretty good for themselves too.

Michigan NCAA
Last year Seamus casey, Gavin brindley, Dylan duke, rutger mcgroaraty, nick moldenhauer, frank nazar were there.
Year before same guys + Luke Hughes, Adam Fantilli, Mackie samoskevich, Eric portillo
Year before some of the same guys + Owen power, matty beniers, John Beecher, Brendon Brisson, Thomas borderleau, Kent johnson

Kitchener is great don’t get me wrong but they don’t have a track record like this over the last few years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad