Kitchener Rangers 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

K2

Jun 11, 2015
Looks like a carbon copy of the Mintyukov deal to Ottawa
Close, overall a better haul for SAG IMO.

OTT 2nd 2025, SOO 2nd 2025, OS 2nd 2026
SOO 3rd 2024, KNG 3rd 2024, OTT 3rd 2025, WSR 3rd 2025
OTT 4th 2025 & 2026
Bonus: Memorial Cup (priceless)

Reactions: frontsfan67

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Close, overall a better haul for SAG IMO.

OTT 2nd 2025, SOO 2nd 2025, OS 2nd 2026
SOO 3rd 2024, KNG 3rd 2024, OTT 3rd 2025, WSR 3rd 2025
OTT 4th 2025 & 2026
Bonus: Memorial Cup (priceless)

Yes. I think the point being that if you are acquiring an elite player for just picks, that blueprint seems to be the reference point. Now with two trades being similar, I think any team wishing to move an elite player willing to only accept draft picks can make that sort of demand and not be laughed at.

Reactions: K2

ZTKL

Jan 8, 2018
Thinking about it for a bit, the "when" on the picks are interesting. Getting an extra second in each of the next 3 years will help get a few solid support players into the lineup for the (hopefully) 2027 Mem Cup. The 2 extra third round picks and the 4th round pick This year can be used to take a flyer on 2-3 very good - elite players who won't report for 2 or 3 years/until they're drafted to the NHL and directed to go to their OHL rights holder in Kitchener.

The rest I'd say would be useful as trade sweeteners in the years approaching 2027. So, seems like a tidy bit of planning, though, that first-round player back would have been nice. We'll see how that all develops.

Reactions: OnlyUpFromHere49

Matttheleaf

Apr 18, 2019
With MM showing he isn't afraid of trading the big name star this early into the season does anyone think that he will try to trade anyone else before the season starts or wait until it gets going. We will have to make an OA trade I guess as well before the season starts.

Krangers08

Sep 11, 2023
IMG_7302.png
Updated draft Capital courtesy of Generalsupdates on twitter

Reactions: K2

I Mac 80

Jul 23, 2023
An 08 would have been nice but the draft cupboard was badly depleted and needed to be refilled at some point. Can’t keeping kicking it down the road. I’m all for trading Swick before the season as I think he brings back the most value out of our OA’s. I’d be shocked if Ando is still a blue shirt after the trade deadline as he should return some solid assists as well. Perhaps even an 08 (unlikely) if he turns out to be even better this years but at least some more draft capital to perhaps trade for an 08 a bit later on. I like that we are actually going to do a bit of a rebuild and give the younger players more opportunities, responsibility and ice time to help their development. Hopefully it’s a short time pain for a longer more sustainable gain.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
An 08 would have been nice but the draft cupboard was badly depleted and needed to be refilled at some point. Can’t keeping kicking it down the road. I’m all for trading Swick before the season as I think he brings back the most value out of our OA’s. I’d be shocked if Ando is still a blue shirt after the trade deadline as he should return some solid assists as well. Perhaps even an 08 (unlikely) if he turns out to be even better this years but at least some more draft capital to perhaps trade for an 08 a bit later on. I like that we are actually going to do a bit of a rebuild and give the younger players more opportunities, responsibility and ice time to help their development. Hopefully it’s a short time pain for a longer more sustainable gain.
ando may be the most sought after guy at the deadline

LostRangers

Feb 1, 2023
If you can get 3 2nd round picks and 3 3rd round picks including 4 other total picks then there is no way that this isn't quality of picks and quantity. No way is this a C+ either, if you want to give it a B fine but this isn't a C+ return.
So after last years deadline we gave up a full year of Rekhopf, for two picks and 2 months of Sale and Savard, net.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Thinking about it for a bit, the "when" on the picks are interesting. Getting an extra second in each of the next 3 years will help get a few solid support players into the lineup for the (hopefully) 2027 Mem Cup. The 2 extra third round picks and the 4th round pick This year can be used to take a flyer on 2-3 very good - elite players who won't report for 2 or 3 years/until they're drafted to the NHL and directed to go to their OHL rights holder in Kitchener.

The rest I'd say would be useful as trade sweeteners in the years approaching 2027. So, seems like a tidy bit of planning, though, that first-round player back would have been nice. We'll see how that all develops.
The Rangers did not have any 2nds, 3rds, or 4ths in the cupboard until 2028. So they did not acquire extra picks in the next few drafts, they just replaced what they traded away previous. So, if I am MM, and I look at Brampton‘s draft cupboard, and see they have FOUR 2nd round picks in the 2025 draft, I want, two of them included in the deal. Not just one. No ifs, ands, or buts.

For me, that aspect of the trade is a fail.

In my view, he should’ve walked away from this deal with two 2nds and two 3rds in the 2025 draft. Brampton had them and MM should’ve stood fast on that demand.

Had he done that, we would’ve had a very strong ‘09 group who would be in their NHL draft season when we hope to host in 2027. That would have given us a much better shot at a top end supporting cast for our ‘07’s and ‘08’s.

Reactions: rangersblues

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010

The pick in 2025 may help but not the rest. A championship team isn't built with 16 and 17 year old 2nd rounders.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
The Rangers did not have any 2nds, 3rds, or 4ths in the cupboard until 2028. So they did not acquire extra picks in the next few drafts, they just replaced what they traded away previous. So, if I am MM, and I look at Brampton‘s draft cupboard, and see they have FOUR 2nd round picks in the 2025 draft, I want, two of them included in the deal. Not just one. No ifs, ands, or buts.

For me, that aspect of the trade is a fail.

In my view, he should’ve walked away from this deal with two 2nds and two 3rds in the 2025 draft. Brampton had them and MM should’ve stood fast on that demand.

Had he done that, we would’ve had a very strong ‘09 group who would be in their NHL draft season when we hope to host in 2027. That would have given us a much better shot at a top end supporting cast for our ‘07’s and ‘08’s.
We're back where we began and basically traded Rehkopf for two first round playoff victories. I'll let everyone else evaluate the total outcome.

Reactions: LostRangers

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
Rehkopf would have been gone after Worlds (which it looks strongly that he will be) so at some point in December, there are games he would not have played...not to mention the games he wouldn't play at the first of the season as Seattle takes a longer look at him. It opens up a top line position and provides more opportunity for the younger studs and very well could bring in a younger top line player who now sees the extra minutes and more special team opps with Rehkopf off the board.

More to come as this all unfolds.......

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
If you have been an OHL fan for long, you would know that Kitchener would rather trade Ando to the 19 other teams before trading with London. That’s the truth!
But Ando would look lovely in green and gold. Imagine him anchoring our left side? DELICIOUS

rve24

Oct 26, 2022
And one of the biggest trade chips out there this year gets moved early. I think it was a good deal for KTown.
Guess it'll all depend on how those assets are used in the future to get a clear picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad