Kitchener Rangers 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
The question will be do they set the market, or wait until Barlow goes and adjust the price
This may be controversial with some other people but in my opinion they may go for the same or rehkopf even more as he does more than just score

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Andovoski to Brantford for a slightly steeper price than McCoy?
I don’t know. I think Andonovski’s 19 year old year may trump McCoy’s 19 year old year.

Taylor was a good return for McCoy. But I don’t think we’ll see the number of 1st rounders moved this year. Seems like they were tossed around like candy on Halloween last year.

I still think Andonovski should bring Jorian Donovan return. Not saying I wouldn’t entertain an ‘08 1st. But I don’t expect it.

tjziel

Nov 20, 2012
London
The question will be do they set the market, or wait until Barlow goes and adjust the price
I could see Rehkopf going to Barrie.

With him being from Barrie and MM already dealt with Barrie to get Eduard Sale, it could be now you help me scratch my back.

Then Barrie really goes into contention mode with Rehkopf, Hemming, Beaudoin, Jelsma, Akey and Hillebrandt.

That’s a deadly team! Then they would be on par with Brampton, Brantford, Oshawa etc.

Not a fun year to be in the East if you’re contending.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009

With him being from Barrie and MM already dealt with Barrie to get Eduard Sale, it could be now you help me scratch my back.

Then Barrie really goes into contention mode with Rehkopf, Hemming, Beaudoin, Jelsma, Akey and Hillebrandt.

That’s a deadly team! Then they would be on par with Brampton, Brantford, Oshawa etc.

To Barrie? Obviously Vaughn would have to be included. Considering Vaughn was drafted early 1st round, adding 2nds and a 3rd makes sense. Comparable to the Beck to Saginaw deal.

IMO, the picks have to be in the next couple drafts. 2nd ‘25. 2nd ‘26. 3rd ‘25.

But other teams will be calling too. Brantford may enter into a Rehkopf bidding war pushing the price up. They have a deeper draft pick cupboard so things could get interesting. Like Barrie, they have recent dealings with the Rangers (Xhekaj. Hamara.)

Methinks things are going to get very interesting.

Reactions: Rangers True Blue

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

Barrie is on par with those teams now imo.
I don’t think Williamson was particularly happy being forced to deal with Kitchener, but Savard retiring probably makes him feel much better about that trade.

Barlow might be a better fit for the colts style. Though Rehkopf could be preferred if they’re specifically looking for someone to play (wing) with Jelsma.

To Barrie? Obviously Vaughn would have to be included. Considering Vaughn was drafted early 1st round, adding 2nds and a 3rd makes sense. Comparable to the Beck to Saginaw deal.

IMO, the picks have to be in the next couple drafts. 2nd ‘25. 2nd ‘26. 3rd ‘25.

But other teams will be calling too. Brantford may enter into a Rehkopf bidding war pushing the price up. They have a deeper draft pick cupboard so things could get interesting. Like Barrie, they have recent dealings with the Rangers (Xhekaj. Hamara.)

Methinks things are going to get very interesting.

I agree with EvenSteven that fewer 1sts traded should be expected.
There has only been two top 5 selections traded in January that I am aware of, both by Sarnia. I think it would be a lot closer to the Martone, 2nd - DelMastro trade.
To get several picks a deal might look like Vaughn, Handsor or J.Newton for Rehkopf and Andonovski.

Last edited:

OnlyUpFromHere49

Jun 6, 2023
I don’t know. I think Andonovski’s 19 year old year may trump McCoy’s 19 year old year.

Taylor was a good return for McCoy. But I don’t think we’ll see the number of 1st rounders moved this year. Seems like they were tossed around like candy on Halloween last year.

I still think Andonovski should bring Jorian Donovan return. Not saying I wouldn’t entertain an ‘08 1st. But I don’t expect it.
Agreed on Barrie (and Brantford).

A while back I saw an article about NHL GM’s consistently trading with the same group of other GM’s (Dubas liking to trade with St. Louis, for example) and I think the same goes for some GM’s in the OHL, McKenzie included.

Without looking at numbers, Barrie, Brantford/Hamilton, Brampton/Mississauga and Oshawa seem like consistent trading partners over the years McKenzie has been at the helm.

Coincidentally, those four have some enticing ‘08 1st rounders in year’s those teams are likely each making a run :laugh:

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Agreed on Barrie (and Brantford).

A while back I saw an article about NHL GM’s consistently trading with the same group of other GM’s (Dubas liking to trade with St. Louis, for example) and I think the same goes for some GM’s in the OHL, McKenzie included.

Without looking at numbers, Barrie, Brantford/Hamilton, Brampton/Mississauga and Oshawa seem like consistent trading partners over the years McKenzie has been at the helm.

Coincidentally, those four have some enticing ‘08 1st rounders in year’s those teams are likely each making a run :laugh:
Yes, those four teams do have 08’s I’d be interested in.

Barrie and Brantford were mentioned.

Brampton has the rights to Valentini but will he be a factor in a deadline trade this year? Hard to say. If anything, his rights are likely moved in September. If they don’t move his rights then, maybe a pre arranged deal in January that Brampton, a destination team, and the Valentini camp has already agreed to? That’s a reach I’d think.

As far as Oshawa goes, Brady Smith going where he did has me wondering a little when some mocks had him going earlier. On draft day, he was still on the board when we took Headrick. With those numbers and size vs Headrick, I thought it odd that we didn’t take him at 15. It would have been hard to pass on him for a player who could / should have still been on the board at #31 where we took Bilecki.

Reactions: OnlyUpFromHere49

OnlyUpFromHere49

Jun 6, 2023

Brampton has the rights to Valentini but will he be a factor in a deadline trade this year? Hard to say. If anything, his rights are likely moved in September. If they don’t move his rights then, maybe a pre arranged deal in January that Brampton, a destination team, and the Valentini camp has already agreed to? That’s a reach I’d think.

As far as Oshawa goes, Brady Smith going where he did has me wondering a little when some mocks had him going earlier. On draft day, he was still on the board when we took Headrick. With those numbers and size vs Headrick, I thought it odd that we didn’t take him at 15. It would have been hard to pass on him for a player who could / should have still been on the board at #31 where we took Bilecki.
I think the hit/‘miss work ethic of Smith was a deterrent for some teams, but the goal scoring ability is no joke.

Valentini is interesting too. To the right team, I think he ends up back in the league at some point. Kitchener being on a list of potential suitors wouldn’t surprise me. He seems to be close with quite a few members of the team, including Headrick and Bilecki, as well as being repped by Quartexx who seem to have a few players on the Rangers past/present.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017

headrick would not have made it there. careful with the online scouts, remember they had belchetz as a late first/early second.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
headrick would not have made it there. careful with the online scouts, remember they had belchetz as a late first/early second.
Still can’t believe that about puck preps LOL

Literally either brain dead or just trying to clickbait

Reactions: rve24

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Still can’t believe that about puck preps LOL

Literally either brain dead or just trying to clickbait

To be fair, he did come around late in the process. I forget if it was 6, 9, or 11 with a handful of players that did not report ahead of Belchetz; and four year upside was one of his reasons. We can call him brain dead in four years?

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
To be fair, he did come around late in the process. I forget if it was 6, 9, or 11 with a handful of players that did not report ahead of Belchetz; and four year upside was one of his reasons. We can call him brain dead in four years?
He is a 6’5 230 or 240lb guy who put up 2.5 ppg. He won’t even be in the ohl in 4 years lol he will be out probably in 2. Look at byfield.

If that guy isn’t put at #1 then people making lists need to re-evaluate.

It’s not all about numbers but come on man that guy is coming in as one of the biggest in the league for 1 so he should have no problem adjusting and for 2 he is clearly one of the most skilled to put up those numbers. combine those 2 and what’s the #1 thing most bigger players most times need to work on? Speed. I think he can work on that in 2 years let alone 4.

I don’t like calling people that- but that take of 10 people better is just brain dead.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
He is a 6’5 230 or 240lb guy who put up 2.5 ppg. He won’t even be in the ohl in 4 years lol he will be out probably in 2. Look at byfield.

If that guy isn’t put at #1 then people making lists need to re-evaluate.

It’s not all about numbers but come on man that guy is coming in as one of the biggest in the league for 1 so he should have no problem adjusting and for 2 he is clearly one of the most skilled to put up those numbers. combine those 2 and what’s the #1 thing most bigger players most times need to work on? Speed. I think he can work on that in 2 years let alone 4.

I don’t like calling people that- but that take of 10 people better is just brain dead.

OK :)
I’m gonna guess he is not Byfield; and for every Byfield, there is a McFarland that overpowered the MM competition to 100 season plus tournament goals.

I don’t follow MM, so I will consider consensus not any one scout. I only stated that one had Belchetz top 10 prior to the draft, not late 1st/early 2nd

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
OK :)
I’m gonna guess he is not Byfield; and for every Byfield, there is a McFarland that overpowered the MM competition to 100 season plus tournament goals.

I don’t follow MM, so I will consider consensus not any one scout. I only stated that one had Belchetz top 10 prior to the draft, not late 1st/early 2nd
No I’m not ripping you I just think puckpreps makes a lot of bad calls. For instance last year they had weir and Hopkins as 2 of the top 5 most “ohl ready forwards”

Weir didn’t even play in the O’ and Hopkins struggled the whole season except the last 10-15reg season games and into the playoffs

And then again here they are saying belchetz is the 11th best guy. Not very reliable imo.

Not saying he’s going to be as good as byfield but byfield was the last player that I can recall of his size, stature and skill and he ended up going 2nd overall in the NHL draft.

Last edited:

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
IMG_7427.png

Not a scout but this is laughable.

Nyman 2

Malholtra 4

Belchetz 10

No di Orio or fitzgerald

Matttheleaf

Apr 18, 2019
I know we are going into a rebuilding year and this will hopefully restock our cupboard but I was looking forward to seeing him play here for at least half the season and having him go back to the World Juniors as a Ranger.

Reactions: sbpointer and LDN

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
I know we are going into a rebuilding year and this will hopefully restock our cupboard but I was looking forward to seeing him play here for at least half the season and having him go back to the World Juniors as a Ranger.
O’Donnell coming to Kit? Or just picks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,632.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Israel vs Italy