Kitchener Rangers 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
Mesar pumping his tires? He must have experienced it differently. As a fan, I was frustrated with him more than once...
I'm sure I heard something to the same effect early in Mesar's first season. Wonder if it's just the same story with new legs.

At any rate he still hasn't proved he's above OHL level imo.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
If the rangers truly want to be like the Knights and their model they need to trust the ability of the Junior B leagues like the Knights do when their younger players may not be ready for the OHL instead of just throwing them in the deep end.

To be honest, guys like Lam and Stark should have been playing regular top minutes at the JrB level last year. Then bring them up every now and again when needed.

I betting the same should be said for a couple 16 year olds we’ve signed from this year’s draft.

I had Mercer as a bubble player this upcoming season mainly to make room for the kids.

Perhaps we should revisit that and keep him around. That would allow one of the kids to play the season at junior B.

After spending the year last year, McNiel look pretty good when he was called up at the playoffs.

Last edited:

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
To be honest, guys like Lam and Stark should have been playing regular top minutes at the JrB level last year. Then bring them up every now and again when needed.

I betting the same should be said for a couple 16 year olds we’ve signed from this year’s draft.
I agree but would this scenario affect their education package? If so it's a tough sell, even though London does it effectively.

Jives

Jan 6, 2018

I had Mercer as a bubble player this upcoming season mainly to make room for the kids.

Perhaps we should revisit that and keep him around. That would allow one of the kids to play the season at junior B.

After spending the year last year, McNiel look pretty good when he was called up at the playoffs.

I think Lam and Stark were expected to see more ice time last year but with the hot start that didn’t happen. In a year we were expecting to sell those 2 kids would have seen more ice if the vets get traded. This year the new kids will get ice and I’m sure they will progress nicely under JA. With the Knights being good the past couple years I can see limited ice time for the 16 year olds and Jr B is the correct situation then. I think playing solid minutes under JA this year will be better than playing Jr B for the 16 year olds this year. This is something that should change year to year depending on who is returning.

Reactions: RB76 and Habsrule

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
If the rangers truly want to be like the Knights and their model they need to trust the ability of the Junior B leagues like the Knights do when their younger players may not be ready for the OHL instead of just throwing them in the deep end.
It seems kingston took a page out of Londons book last year lol early second round pick weir spent the year in the GOJHL and had over a ppg

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
Lam seemed to adapt fairly quickly but Romano didn't click until late in the season and into the playoffs. McNeil and Arquette both played down but had callups. It will be interesting to see if that translates into a better first full season in the OHL.

tjziel

Nov 20, 2012
London
Not only that guys, there are a couple players from the Knights that played Jr. B as a 16 year-old since COVID and because of that they were really able to develop properly.

2021: Logan Mailloux
2023: Oliver Bonk and Easton Cowan
2024: Sam O’Rielly

Reactions: rangersblues

Krangers08

Sep 11, 2023
IMG_7228.jpeg
Long time

• Wow
Reactions: frontsfan67

Krangers08

Sep 11, 2023
To be fair, 3 of those goalies played for Flint and two were absolutely terrible even as OA’s and are now getting lit up in the ECHL and SPHL. The Rangers have had some better goalies than some of the guys listed here. The kid I thought had a shot was Luke Opilka. Wasn’t he drafted before injuries derailed his career?
Opilka and Gibson were drafted out of the NTDP and came the following year. I really enjoyed watching Opilka as well, tough way for his career to end the way it did.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad