Kitchener Rangers 2017-18 Season Thread (Part 1)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim Raines

Oct 26, 2015
The Rangers also issued a release on Twitter featuring the Hall/Stanley friendship. In the article, it mentions both Blaisdell and Opilka returning as overagers. Interesting. I'm glad to hear it, but it mentions neither Henderson nor Burns, so hard to say who the odd man out will be. I have to think it's likely Burns.

Mar 12, 2009
Saw on Twitter that a prospect of ours, Jack Tucker, has signed with Moncton in the Q after they got Kitchener to agree to release his rights. I thought at one point management thought well of him, so seeing him moving to another league in the CHL seems strange.

Mar 12, 2009
The return is fine. Wasn't sure the offensive ability was ever going to materialize greatly, but based on our D, I think we may miss his speed and puck moving ability.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Not surprised in the least. He never really got a chance here as an offensiv D. Little to no time on the PP.
When you see forwards like Garreffa and Bracco playing the point on the PP ahead of him, then eventually Vallati, the writing is on the wall. I brought this up numerous times on here and that he'd benefit from a change of scenery.

I wouldn't be surprised if Roberts requested this trade.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
Word is that Roberts asked for a trade due to lack of playing time. He certainly wasn't the Roberts we saw in the first season. I do hope he's happier there and finds what he's looking for. In the meantime, with Stanley, Hall, Vallati, and Ladd.....Rangers are building a formidable backend. Now if Vukojevic would change his mind.....

Tim Raines

Oct 26, 2015
Roberts was a good kid with some good tools, but for me, he highlights our organization's struggles with both scouting and development.

First, on scouting - he severely lacked hockey IQ. He was all wheels, but lacked a lot of what translates at this level.

And on development, we did nothing to improve him. I fail to accept that's all on the kid. He was willing, he worked hard and could skate like the wind. Surely they could have helped him progress more than that. But the writing was on the wall in the playoffs when we were severely short-handed and he was still logging very few minutes.

three dog night

May 3, 2014
Thank you to the Kitchener fans on their impression on Roberts sounds like he may become a fan favourite in Niagara

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Thank you to the Kitchener fans on their impression on Roberts sounds like he may become a fan favourite in Niagara
I think you guys will love Roberts. His first year in Kitchener he impressed with his speed. He carried the puck into the offensive zone and had the speed to get back to his end and recover. Analyst watching him on the tube always commented about his talent. For what ever reason he seemed to be held back last season which is odd because the Rangers give every Dman the green light. I blame some of it on the Ranger staff who have really failed miserably to develop rookies and bring them to a higher level of play after one season. If this kid gets the right coaching he could turn into a fine offensive Dman. His size is also a factor although he shows no fear of opponents. I think its great he is getting another chance to compete.

OhSheila

Aug 28, 2015
Kitchener
He is a great kid, super fast, skilled, hard worker and nice family too.

The change of scenery will be good for him. It looks like the Rangers are going for a more defence first defence and some room had to be made back there.

Melrose

May 8, 2014
I echo the posters on Roberts. I too thought he worked hard, showed that speed and agility but is sure one of the prime examples of our young players never given a chance or any help towards developing.

OhSheila

Aug 28, 2015
Kitchener
Elijah is an offensive minded D-man. He loves to get the puck and skate it up the ice.
He's different from players like Hall and Vallati who are more physical in front of the net and are more pass out of the zone minded.

Roberts got lots of ice time during the regular season with the injuries to Hall and Blaisdell. He did not get much time on the power play. Coach McKee usually went with an extra forward on D like Bracco and a defensively minded D man on the points.

Elijah definitely has skills, I think it just came down to those skills and possibly his size not being the best fit for the Rangers defensive system. I have no doubt he'll be a good fit and a contributor in Niagara. He was well liked in the dressing room, has speed, works hard and who will forget that fight he had where he dominated over a bigger player.

We gave up quality and got a good return.

EastAveFan

Nov 20, 2013
Elijah is an offensive minded D-man. He loves to get the puck and skate it up the ice.
He's different from players like Hall and Vallati who are more physical in front of the net and are more pass out of the zone minded.

Roberts got lots of ice time during the regular season with the injuries to Hall and Blaisdell. He did not get much time on the power play. Coach McKee usually went with an extra forward on D like Bracco and a defensively minded D man on the points.

Elijah definitely has skills, I think it just came down to those skills and possibly his size not being the best fit for the Rangers defensive system. I have no doubt he'll be a good fit and a contributor in Niagara. He was well liked in the dressing room, has speed, works hard and who will forget that fight he had where he dominated over a bigger player.

After his rookie season he was really easy to defend against. He would always do the same rush time after time.

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Would there be anyone interested in doing a gathering at some point either this season or next season. I've tried to do a mainstream post thread with little feedback would there be anyone interested in trying to reboot from Kitchener that would be interested in some sort of HF board gathering.

Any input from Rangers fans would go along way to hopefully getting something started I realize that other posters have tried with little success on HFB in the past.

ScoresFromCentre

Jan 29, 2016
Would there be anyone interested in doing a gathering at some point either this season or next season. I've tried to do a mainstream post thread with little feedback would there be anyone interested in trying to reboot from Kitchener that would be interested in some sort of HF board gathering.

Any input from Rangers fans would go along way to hopefully getting something started I realize that other posters have tried with little success on HFB in the past.

Should be a big contingent coming up for Games 1 and 2 of the Western Conference Finals. ;)

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
He was well liked in the dressing room, has speed, works hard and who will forget that fight he had where he dominated over a bigger player.

I believe that big player was Guelph's Isaac Ratcliff. Pretty much dominated the much bigger player. If Eli ever adds any size (his dad is a big dude) to match the belligerence he has displayed , he'll be a force in front of the net.

Spinner

Nov 25, 2015
Biggest issue going into training camp/season is undoubtedly goaltending. And not in regards to whether or not Opilka will be returned or not but rather how healthy is he? There are rumblings his hip injury continues to linger and surgery may be an option. Also, McGonigle had off season knee surgery so let's hope his recovery is going well.

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
Biggest issue going into training camp/season is undoubtedly goaltending. And not in regards to whether or not Opilka will be returned or not but rather how healthy is he? There are rumblings his hip injury continues to linger and surgery may be an option. Also, McGonigle had off season knee surgery so let's hope his recovery is going well.

Rumblings from whom? Information is only as good as its source.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
After his rookie season he was really easy to defend against. He would always do the same rush time after time.

When you have NHL coaches on the bench and they fail to correct that issue they are either inept or insane. You know the definition of insanity. :naughty: Murphy did the same. I always get an uneasy feeling with small Dmen around our net. Our big D had a hard time clearing big forwards. Its an area that needs a huge improvement going forward.

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
Two tweets from the St Louis Blues beat reporter:

#stlblues announce local goalie prospect Luke Opilka has undergone surgery for a torn labrum in his left hip. He's out until December.

This is Opilka's second hip surgery in a little more than a year, so obviously becoming a concern.

So that's interesting then, guess we don't need to move an OA yet..

McGonigle/Richardson will have to compete for the starters role

Mar 12, 2009
Two tweets from the St Louis Blues beat reporter:

#stlblues announce local goalie prospect Luke Opilka has undergone surgery for a torn labrum in his left hip. He's out until December.

This is Opilka's second hip surgery in a little more than a year, so obviously becoming a concern.

So that's interesting then, guess we don't need to move an OA yet..

McGonigle/Richardson will have to compete for the starters role
Not sure how others feel, but that's kind of the last straw for me in regard to whether or not we should have him back as an OA. Unless Richardson plays very poorly, I'm not sure it's worth the gamble that Opilka will be able to find his game mid season returning from injury.

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
Not sure how others feel, but that's kind of the last straw for me in regard to whether or not we should have him back as an OA. Unless Richardson plays very poorly, I'm not sure it's worth the gamble that Opilka will be able to find his game mid season returning from injury.

Best case scenario, we find out both Richardson and McGonigle are capable of starting at this level, then we can flip one of them later in the season when Opilka returns.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Best case scenario, we find out both Richardson and McGonigle are capable of starting at this level, then we can flip one of them later in the season when Opilka returns.

How can you possibly flip them either of them with the huge question mark on Opilkas health? Last thing the team
wants or needs is to make a trade when Opilka returns then he goes down again.
IMHO, the Rangers should tell St Louis that they are better off in nursing Opilka back themselves. Honestly I
can see St Louis letting him go also as soon as they can also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad