Value of: Kirill Kaprizov

Roman Maroni

Prepared to be underwhelmed
Sponsor
Dec 7, 2019
My prediction….he’ll stay in Minnesota. It’s simple, with Guerin at the helm, he can sign his new contract at least a year early. It will be at least 2 years longer than it should be, and it will be an overpay of at least 2 million per year. Never mind the fact that it is a standard requisite that all of Billy’s contracts have full NMC’s.

The Guerin Trifecta…..Length, overpay, NMC.

Just ask at least 4 players in the last couple seasons how it works……

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Return is highly dependable on if its a sign and trade or purely a rental.
Would love to see a Demidov-Kaprisov duo 👀
Exactly. One year of Kaprizov is one thing. 8-9 more another at a reasonable price(i.e 10M) another.

Fiala situation wasn't the exact same, but similar. He was traded to the Kings, with an agreement already in place to re-sign. Wild got a 1st(20th oa, or was it 24th?) and Faber, who was a 2nd rounder. No one thought that Faber was going to be what he has turned out to be, but he was well regarded even then- maybe his value had moved up to a late 1st round.

So, if re-signed is worth two later firsts, then Kaprizov, a similar but better player is worth 3 later 1sts, or one very high first, at the very least?

Unsigned, he is worth less, as he would then be going to a Cup contender, who usually don't have high picks, or young players to spare. A player like him could be the difference between winning and losing a Cup, which would have different values for different teams. I would say their best "A" +/- prospect, maybe, but there is a wide variance there.

If the acquiring team expects MN to take back some bad cap or retain, then that causes Kap's value to go up a bit, depending on amounts involved.

Bottom line is that there is no one value. There is a pretty wide variation, depending on the details of the deal.

Reactions: The Don Hughes

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
Lafreniere, Kakko, Trouba for Kaprizov.

Who says no?

Rangers free up $3m and get a star for 2 seasons to compete. The Wild get a very good young winger, a guy that needs a change but could still thrive and Trouba who could be flipped to elsewhere as someone would take him, especially with retention.

It won't happen but still.
Kaprizov for Miller+Lafreniere?

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
He's in the middle of a 5 year contract and isn't even eligible to sign an extension for 355 more days at the earliest lol
Minny would have gladly signed him for 7-8 years. He took 5 because it gives him the option to bounce at the earliest possible point. Just like Panarin…..
Teams aren’t going to be lining up to trade for him unless they know he’ll sign with them long term. It’s too risky.
Imo, Kaprizov has every intention of going to UFA

Reactions: Ciao

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Minny would have gladly signed him for 7-8 years. He took 5 because it gives him the option to bounce at the earliest possible point. Just like Panarin…..
Teams aren’t going to be lining up to trade for him unless they know he’ll sign with them long term. It’s too risky.
He also took 5 because we couldn't give him $11M+ on a 7/8 year deal at the time, due to cap constraints.

Reactions: johnnybbadd

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

If that was the case, why didn't he take 3 and bounce this summer?

Realm

Jun 5, 2005
The wild are kind of stuck being a mid/bubble team. Not sure he would agree to extend. Hope he does though
Tough to not be stuck with a near 15 million dead cap space all during a pretty flat Covid salary cap number. Now with it going up and almost 15 million opening up next year and one of the best prospect pools in the league the future is very bright for the Wild, and plenty of money to pay him.

Reactions: MNRube

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Tough to not be stuck with a near 15 million dead cap space all during a pretty flat Covid salary cap number. Now with it going up and almost 15 million opening up next year and one of the best prospect pools in the league the future is very bright for the Wild, and plenty of money to pay him.
The Wild have been stuck there for much longer than the 15m in dead cap has been around.

We'll see if the prospect pool actually pans out. We had one of the best prospect pools in the league back around 2012 too and that didn't get us anywhere.

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
I’ve never been more confident that a player will hit free agency.

No idea where he goes, but I bet it won’t be Minnesota.

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
Kap is gone , I’m totally fine with that if it means Guerin is gone too. Id love for Leipold to get f***ed also

peconcan

Apr 24, 2020
He’s the same as Marner not getting what the team will want for him. And before all the leaf haters come in saying he’s way better no he’s not.

ctmagic

Jan 15, 2013
Kap is better than Marner AINEC, he’ll stay in MN, f7ben represents the cry baby minority of the mn hockey fanbase, sky is not falling, Wild are about to make a competitive push for a cup over the next 5 years. Too much talent in the cupboard and cap flexibility on the horizon.

Reactions: Obvious Fabertism

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Kap is better than Marner AINEC, he’ll stay in MN, f7ben represents the cry baby minority of the mn hockey fanbase, sky is not falling, Wild are about to make a competitive push for a cup over the next 5 years. Too much talent in the cupboard and cap flexibility on the horizon.
Kaprizov staying eats into that cap flexibility. He's going to be the highest paid NHL player if/when he re-signs.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
If they're looking to get a package of younger guys for him, let's call it

Peterka/Cozens
Ostlund/Kulich/Helenius
1st, protected

That's relatively close to what the Sabres got for Eichel, and should be what the Wild look for in a futures focused package
The best combo of this is Cozens+Kulich+protected 1st from my perspective. I liken it to a package of Boldy+Ohgren+protected 1st value wise - assuming that Cozens bounces back to his production of two years ago.

At that point, one would assume that Rossi would be traded for a scoring winger and we would run a center group of Cozens-Eriksson Ek-Kulich-Khusnutdinov.

Option 1 is still hopefully re-signing Kaprizov. Keep him around as long as you can. I’ve seen very few players dictate play the way he does.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
He doesn't deserve a contract that big...but Guerin would give it to him.
It's not about what you deserve, it's about what you can demand.

The best combo of this is Cozens+Kulich+protected 1st from my perspective. I liken it to a package of Boldy+Ohgren+protected 1st value wise - assuming that Cozens bounces back to his production of two years ago.

At that point, one would assume that Rossi would be traded for a scoring winger and we would run a center group of Cozens-Eriksson Ek-Kulich-Khusnutdinov.

Option 1 is still hopefully re-signing Kaprizov. Keep him around as long as you can. I’ve seen very few players dictate play the way he does.
I think I've seen Buffalo fans pretty adamant about Kulich not being a center in the NHL.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
If they're looking to get a package of younger guys for him, let's call it

Peterka/Cozens
Ostlund/Kulich/Helenius
1st, protected

That's relatively close to what the Sabres got for Eichel, and should be what the Wild look for in a futures focused package
I hope we don’t have to trade Kap, but if we do, I’d be fine with this

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
a gritty 40 goal-scorer who is good at playmaking in his prime? he is an unicorn in today's nhl, what he thinks would be probably not enough for him.
For 1 year of control on a guy who in this scenario doesn't want to resign? Less than you'd think

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad