OT: OT-what he doesn’t know is this is a buck and a quarter quarter staff

sabremike

#1 Tageaholic
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
SIR SOME OF MY BEST FRIENDS ARE DRAGONS!!!
20230415_152403.jpg
20230927_180725.jpg

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Welp. The wife and I are officially getting separated. We decided a week or so ago. I'll be moving out within the month. We're getting along pretty well, though. I think we're both taking solace in the fact that we're still going to be friends because there's definitely still a lot of love between us. She just thinks we'd be better off as friends, which I'm ok with.

We both look at the relationship as a great thing that happened to us, especially since it brought us our son. Lots of tears, but I feel like we're on to the acceptance phase of grieving.

I am excited for some independence, and I look forward to the challenge of being a separated 36 y/o man with a kid and trying to meet women. I'm not even sure what my age range for women is since I haven't had the need to think about it until now. Strictly looking for hook-ups for a while. It'll be a bit before I'm even ready to hook-up with a woman, but thinking about it is a nice distraction from the sadness. Also, I'm diving into hobbies and traveling. Should be fun, but the fulfillment of a good relationship and a good, loving woman is going to be a tough thing to lose.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Welp. The wife and I are officially getting separated. We decided a week or so ago. I'll be moving out within the month. We're getting along pretty well, though. I think we're both taking solace in the fact that we're still going to be friends because there's definitely still a lot of love between us. She just thinks we'd be better off as friends, which I'm ok with.

We both look at the relationship as a great thing that happened to us, especially since it brought us our son. Lots of tears, but I feel like we're on to the acceptance phase of grieving.

I am excited for some independence, and I look forward to the challenge of being a separated 36 y/o man with a kid and trying to meet women. I'm not even sure what my age range for women is since I haven't had the need to think about it until now. Strictly looking for hook-ups for a while. It'll be a bit before I'm even ready to hook-up with a woman, but thinking about it is a nice distraction from the sadness. Also, I'm diving into hobbies and traveling. Should be fun, but the fulfillment of a good relationship and a good, loving woman is going to be a tough thing to lose.
Good luck.

One piece of advice I will give coming from my experience of growing up with a single mom, don't introduce a woman you are dating to your kid until you are sure they will be around for the long run.

It caused a little drama with my now wife when we were dating early on. She wanted me to introduce her to the kids sooner than I was comfortable with. But, it was worth it to me.

That my kids have no idea who I dated between their mom and their step-mom is one of those things that I am happy about with respect to how I handled the divorce.

Although, my middle kid would love to know which hockey mom I had a short fling with. :laugh:

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
I took the week off because I'm burned out and need a break. Have spent almost the entire time building an enclosure for a small blueberry bush garden. Just came in from attaching the final piece of wiring to keep the deer away. Blisters on my hand from the staple gun, sunburn from long hours outside, but it's done. Hell of a "break" though. :-/

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
My daughter is currently waiting to be admitted as well. Then we go into the parent plus loan application process. It's like a mini-job.

We've got a ton of runway with my son so I'll have time to learn from the process.

Make sure you look at the double consolidation loophole for parent plus loans before it closes.

MA has a good write up on how to do it:

The stuff with the save plan is up in the air but it still allows you to get some more govt protection on the loans that you don’t get with parent plus.

(Also had $297k wiped out a couple weeks ago on law school loans with PSFL!!)

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Carpal tunnel release surgery recovery is going slower than expected. 3 weeks out, and I still have stitches, my whole palm is purple, and I can’t fully straighten or bend my fingers on that hand. Bleh.

Damn! Is there anything to help the mending? Ice?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
My daughter is currently waiting to be admitted as well. Then we go into the parent plus loan application process. It's like a mini-job.

We've got a ton of runway with my son so I'll have time to learn from the process.

The perils of my situation have meant that we applied for a slew of grants and scholarships, and the university shewill be attending, handing her a great deal of money to go there. She should come out with less student debt than I have ultimately, I find that funny and a bit satisfying.

Last edited:

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
The perils of my situation have meant that we applied for a slew of grants scholarships, and the university will be attending, handing her a great deal of money to go there. She should come out with less student debt than I have ultimately, I find that funny and a bit satisfying.

Anywhere in particular you were finding grants to apply for? My soon-to-be Senior has gotten several scholarships for colleges they aren't interested in, including a 35k scholarship, which blows my goddamn mind, but I'd like to see them get some university-agnostic options as well

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Good luck.

One piece of advice I will give coming from my experience of growing up with a single mom, don't introduce a woman you are dating to your kid until you are sure they will be around for the long run.

It caused a little drama with my now wife when we were dating early on. She wanted me to introduce her to the kids sooner than I was comfortable with. But, it was worth it to me.

That my kids have no idea who I dated between their mom and their step-mom is one of those things that I am happy about with respect to how I handled the divorce.

Although, my middle kid would love to know which hockey mom I had a short fling with.
Agreed. I've had enough crazies in my life to take the risk of bringing a woman home to him quickly. Some of the crazies put on the best disguise.

I was wild in my 20s, so Im sure I'll get some stories out of this period of my life. Not really looking to do too much too soon, though. It's fun to fantasize about, but for now- that's where it's staying...in fantasy land.

Im still holding out hope we may end up back together in a few months, so I dont want to add a few hook-ups to our issues. Now, if we're still not together by the fall time when I move into my new place...let the games begin!

Reactions: Jim Bob

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
Agreed. I've had enough crazies in my life to take the risk of bringing a woman home to him quickly. Some of the crazies put on the best disguise.

I was wild in my 20s, so Im sure I'll get some stories out of this period of my life. Not really looking to do too much too soon, though. It's fun to fantasize about, but for now- that's where it's staying...in fantasy land.

Im still holding out hope we may end up back together in a few months, so I dont want to add a few hook-ups to our issues. Now, if we're still not together by the fall time when I move into my new place...let the games begin!
Sorry bro. Such BS. What’s the other guy’s name?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Anywhere in particular you were finding grants to apply for? My soon-to-be Senior has gotten several scholarships for colleges they aren't interested in, including a 35k scholarship, which blows my goddamn mind, but I'd like to see them get some university-agnostic options as well

Dug through the state sites for Florida - OFSA, FSFA - and some of the clearinghouse ones like Fastweb and Scholarly. And then asking around from advisors and program heads at the high school and some of the admissions people at a couple of the higher education institutions she was interested in. There were a lot of workdays last summer and then she was writing a lot of essays and filling out a lot of paperwork.

Reactions: TheMistyStranger

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
I wish I knew. Doctor’s office hasn’t been returning my calls. 😑
That sucks and is one of the things I definitely don't miss. Had an ER visit today, Xrays a couple stitches, in and out under 90 minutes for a bit under $130 including pharmacy meds. Much more efficient and cheaper for a higher quality of care than in the West

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
Introduced my eldest spawn to John Barry in a conversation where we were talking about composers of film scores. Mostly it means it now pops up at random in my music player lists.

Big fan of his trumpet arrangements. That BAH-BAH-BAHBAH-BAH in Man with the Golden Gun? Timeless.

Reactions: Chainshot

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
My favorite of his remains The IPCRESS File, followed closely by On Her Majesty’s Secret Service.

The low brass on this…

The low brass AND the early synth work. His willingness to experiment and create amazing stuff cannot be understated.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $1,050.00