Value of: Kirill Kaprizov Value (+prospect/draft picks)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

roon

Mar 1, 2012
Minnesota
Nikishkin and Jarvis. Call me, you have my number.:thumbu:

Kap actually is exactly what the Canes need, would mesh well with Svech, and allow them to have two scoring lines. I just don't think that CAR can fit him into their salary structure. I could see TT and his expiring cap going the other way...he's not really a need, though.

In general, they are probably better off long term sticking with Jarvis, Nikishkin, and their ELC's, but there might be some impatience around the franchise, and wish for some immediate gratification(i.e. Cup). That's where Kaprizov comes in. He's signed for two more years after this, which has value.

The Wild could take TT back assuming this isnt a draft day trade. Flip TT at the deadline for more assets.

roon

Mar 1, 2012
Minnesota
Suggesting that teams wouldn't trade 1OA is a bit silly. Its the old Family Guy - Mystery Box vs a boat. Kaprizov is what you hope your 1OA turns into....but you don't have to wait and there is no risk of a bust.

I understand the arguments against it - team control etc....but there is also way more risk with draft picks than with sure things like Kap. If you know you can extend him - you make that trade imo.

theVladiator

May 26, 2018
We've also seen top 10 picks moved for less. Garland+OEL for the 9th, DeBrincat for 7th+

DeBrincat is Detroit's choice of 2024 BOS/DET 1st, as of now it's 32nd/17th pick.

OEL trade is likely the closest, VAN thought it was getting a #2 Dman and a top-6 winger there (plus 8M total retention on OEL and also shedding 6MAAVx2 cap and 8M salary owed to Eriksson). That was a true blockbuster.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
DeBrincat is Detroit's choice of 2024 BOS/DET 1st, as of now it's 32nd/17th pick.

OEL trade is likely the closest, VAN thought it was getting a #2 Dman and a top-6 winger there (plus 8M total retention on OEL and also shedding 6MAAVx2 cap and 8M salary owed to Eriksson). That was a true blockbuster.

DeBrincat was traded at the 2022 draft for the 7th overall pick, the 39th overall pick, and a future 3rd.

Bond

May 10, 2012
Suggesting that teams wouldn't trade 1OA is a bit silly. Its the old Family Guy - Mystery Box vs a boat. Kaprizov is what you hope your 1OA turns into....but you don't have to wait and there is no risk of a bust.

I understand the arguments against it - team control etc....but there is also way more risk with draft picks than with sure things like Kap. If you know you can extend him - you make that trade imo.
You are dreaming. The 1OA has never been traded in the cap era and it won’t be Kaprizov that gets it done with two more years of control left.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
You are dreaming. The 1OA has never been traded in the cap era and it won’t be Kaprizov that gets it done with two more years of control left.

I don't think most people actually expect the 1st overall pick, but that would still be the dream, as OP stated.

Reactions: keppel146

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
No thanks. How about Barzal+ and we figure out the rest later.
For a signed Kaprizov? Absolutely... but the entire premise of the proposal is that he's shortly heading to UFA.

Just an FYI from an Isles fan perspective, Nelson has clearly been a much more effective hockey player than Barzal for a good few years at this point.

Joseph Nathan

Feb 11, 2022
For a signed Kaprizov? Absolutely... but the entire premise of the proposal is that he's shortly heading to UFA.

Just an FYI from an Isles fan perspective, Nelson has clearly been a much more effective hockey player than Barzal for a good few years at this point.
Doesn't Nelson have a no trade clause or no movement? Anyway it was stated he hates Minnesota even though he grew up here and with his super model wife being from new York,, he will never want to live in Minnesota again.

Apparently wild went after him as a free agent and he turned down wild and didn't even give them a meeting due to his wife

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
Kaprizov has been nothing but a shell of his former self this season, and nobody seems to know why. He says there is a nagging injury, yet apparently the medical staff has found nothing wrong with him. Either way, he needs to figure his @#$! out or he won't be worth much.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin

"Shortly heading to UFA" is such a bs statement. He is signed for two more seasons AFTER this one.

Why would Minnesota trade their superstar for a package that starts with a 32 year old player... And the other pieces are a guy that's closer to being a bust than an impact player and a pick that will likely be a mid 1st... Would be better to just keep Kaprizov.

roon

Mar 1, 2012
Minnesota

Im not sure thats a good argument...just because it hasn't been done means it wont. The point still stands that Kap is what you hope your 1OA turns into. There have been just as many busts as "sure things" taken with 1OA - it just takes the right team winning the lottery.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Doesn't Nelson have a no trade clause or no movement? Anyway it was stated he hates Minnesota even though he grew up here and with his super model wife being from new York,, he will never want to live in Minnesota again.

Apparently wild went after him as a free agent and he turned down wild and didn't even give them a meeting due to his wife
I don’t know where getting this is coming from. Because Brock Nelson never reached UFA. He was re-signed in May of 2019. Are you thinking of another Islander?

EDIT: Unless you mean to suggest that the Wild tampered with Nelson. If so… “Do not pass go, do not collect $200 and leave Kaprizov on your way to jail!”

Last edited:

Bizz

Slacked for Mack
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
from a Sharks perspective, you ain't getting 1st overall for Kaprizov. Not from us at least.

Reactions: Groo

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
To be fair, if there ever was a perfect circumstance of trading the 1OA…

It might be, Kaprizov to the Islanders if they win the lottery.

They’re close enough to get it, and management and ownership seem more inclined to think they have the pieces to turn it around quickly.

I don’t necessarily agree with that assessment, but do agree that Kaprizov is exactly what the Isles have needed for years now.

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010

If it was a bad draft yr with no obvious 1OA then maybe. But once the player starts making big money their value diminishes. You have Celebrini looking like a guy who with score 50 goals one day and you can have him for basically free for 3 yrs.

To be fair, if there ever was a perfect circumstance of trading the 1OA…

It might be, Kaprizov to the Islanders if they win the lottery.

They’re close enough to get it, and management and ownership seem more inclined to think they have the pieces to turn it around quickly.

I don’t necessarily agree with that assessment, but do agree that Kaprizov is exactly what the Isles have needed for years now.
Could be but would have to include a cap dump as well. Lou would be the guy to trade 1oa though

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Id compare the price to Eichel's, who returned Krebs, Tuch, top 10 protected 1st and a 2nd.

Kap is couple years older than Eichel when the trade happened and dont have as much of term left, but Eichel also had injury problems and a long time lingering battle with demanding a trade to decrease his value.

So

- A young solid prospect, drafted within couple years around middle of the 1st round.
- Young solid roster player, with upside to grow more and a 1st round pedigree.
- Top 10 protected 1st round pick.
- A second round pick

For my Caps this would be equivalent of

- Rasmus Sandin
- Ivan Miroschichenko
- Top 10 protected 1st round pick '24.
- COL 2nd '25

For

- Kaprizov
- 3rd '24

Would I do from Caps view? Honestly not sure. Value wise, yes.

Kaprizov is a better player than Eichel

roon

Mar 1, 2012
Minnesota
If it was a bad draft yr with no obvious 1OA then maybe. But once the player starts making big money their value diminishes. You have Celebrini looking like a guy who with score 50 goals one day and you can have him for basically free for 3 yrs.

Sure Celebrini looks like that guy. Yakupov looked good - Laf looked good...etc. NHL History is riddled with dudes that looked good and busted. I guess it just depends on where the team that wins the lottery is in their window.

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
Sure Celebrini looks like that guy. Yakupov looked good - Laf looked good...etc. NHL History is riddled with dudes that looked good and busted. I guess it just depends on where the team that wins the lottery is in their window.
Yakupov didn't look that good. It was an awful draft and everyone knew it. Lafreniere is a good shout though. But then you miss out on the chance to get Crosby, Ovechkin, Stamkos, Matthews, Mackinnon, Hughes etc. As good as Kaprizov is, the odds are you'll get a better player, who is younger and basically free against the cap for 3 yrs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad