Value of: Kirill Kaprizov Value (+prospect/draft picks)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
Kind of pointless but since it came in the form of KK being offered then it makes sense to do some keyboard due diligence.
Panicking gms are out there
Wasnt Eichel damaged goods (neck) which lowered the return?
In most years there is not that much of a gap between a couple of slots, even the top ones: patrick-Hischier vs Makar-Pettersen or Slafkovsky-Cooley.

Philly having Michkov and not too much into long rebuild might be interested. That offer few posts up could be a good base.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
To Seattle for a deal centered around Shane Wright
Huh?

Again, HFB overvaluing draft picks, and pretending that players like Lafreniere, Slafkovsky, Wright, Kakko, Pulju, Patrick, Kotkaniemi and many, many others do not exist. Celebrini looks like a sure thing, and will be off the table, probably Eiserman... we have to wait and see how the others do.

I do agree that Kaprizov will be more attractive to a team who's window is now, and those teams are usually not picking early in the draft.

Trading Kap for middle sixers and/or middle pairing Dman should only be considered if they are secondary pieces to the deal. Centering a deal around a disappointment like Wright would be ridiculous. Can't wait for the next offer "centering" around Turcotte.

Last edited:

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Huh?

Again, HFB overvaluing draft picks, and pretending that players like Lafreniere, Slafkovsky, Wright, Kakko, Pulju, Patrick, Kotkaniemi and many, many others do not exist. Celebrini looks like a sure thing, and will be off the table, probably Eiserman... we have to wait and see how the others do.

I do agree that Kaprizov will be more attractive to a team who's window is now, and those teams are usually not picking early in the draft.

Trading Kap for middle sixers and/or middle pairing Dman should only be considered if they are secondary pieces to the deal. Centering a deal around a disappointment like Wright would be ridiculous. Can't wait for the next offer "centering" around Turcotte.
A 19 year old who's nearly a point per game in the AHL is a "disappointment"? Okay dude enjoy getting the standard package of 1-2 conditional late 1sts, a B prospect and a roster player/cap dump aka nothing remotely as valuable as Shane Wright.

• Haha
Reactions: Horton Hears A Woo

EK392000

Mar 9, 2020
If you’re going to nitpick others, at least learn how to spell the star in question’s name
Wasn’t even trying to nitpick. I genuinely did not understand why he would do that. Why would someone make an offer for Kap and one of the untouchables when Kap is Uber valuable on his own

theVladiator

May 26, 2018
Huh?

I understand your disappointment, but that's just cap world for ya. Teams for whom Kaprizov would be of highest value (aspiring Cup contenders), normally would not be able to afford him. Trying to clear cap would just create a hole elsewhere.

I think one needs to look back at the similar level trade(s) to anchor the value expectations for possible return. I am looking at Eichel trade. What did Buffalo get? A middle-6 guy (Tuch), a former mid-1st pick already starting to disappoint (Krebs), and a late 1st rounder. I think that's the ballpark return Minny should be expecting, and this is why I think Kaprizov is staying in Minnesota. Guerin set on this course when he signed Kaprizov to the deal, and continued by re-signing Zuccarello, Hartman and Foligno. Not much can be done in the next 2-3 year IMO.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
If Montreal lands around pick #5 again I would consider something around that pick and players like Newhook + Harris but not sure if I'd bite as this summer would probably a year early for them to make any move like that

I think Detroit will regress and be around pick #10 but they've proved to be closer than anticipated, I would watch for them if he is made available

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
Wasn’t even trying to nitpick. I genuinely did not understand why he would do that. Why would someone make an offer for Kap and one of the untouchables when Kap is Uber valuable on his own
The whole idea was I would add to KK to get the right deal done. But I wouldn’t add any of those players.

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
Huh?

So you wouldn’t do Wright+Dragicevic+1st for Kap?

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Huh?

Yeah sure I mean Shane Wright is one conversation but don't think the conversation around 1OA in this years draft is realistic. Celebrini is a bit different (so far). That could always change depends on how he does at the WJC and continues in the NCAA.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Hasn't looked himself since that Suter cross check.
No, it was before that when Stanley sat on him. They keep saying he's healthy, but I dunno...

His timing seems to be that little bit off. He's fumbling pucks and missing one timers that he never did before. Some say his skating is off, but I don't really see it. He does tend to start slowly, so maybe it's much ado about nothing.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
If Montreal lands around pick #5 again I would consider something around that pick and players like Newhook + Harris but not sure if I'd bite as this summer would probably a year early for them to make any move like that

I think Detroit will regress and be around pick #10 but they've proved to be closer than anticipated, I would watch for them if he is made available
No one wants players like Harris and Newhook in return for a player like Kaprizov. Newhook, especially....we've been there, done that. He's just not vg.

I somewhat agree that Kap and Montreal's window might not line up, but he could be the piece that puts them over the edge. Suzuki and Caufield are nice young forwards, love Guhle, and Reinbacher has vg+ potential.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
No one wants players like Harris and Newhook in return for a player like Kaprizov. Newhook, especially....we've been there, done that. He's just not vg.

I somewhat agree that Kap and Montreal's window might not line up, but he could be the piece that puts them over the edge. Suzuki and Caufield are nice young forwards, love Guhle, and Reinbacher has vg+ potential.
I mean the prize piece in this case is a first rounder somewhere in the 4-7 range, I think it's pretty unreasonable to expect prime assets on top of that. If Kaprizov had 4-5 years left on his deal we'd be talking about much better secondary pieces, but we're talking about two years and I just don't think that garners a top 5 pick + top tier young players.

If Montreal had the goalie position more solidified I'd be more interested in jumping on this but a very realistic possibility could be sneaking into playoffs with him for two years and then watching him walk.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I understand your disappointment, but that's just cap world for ya. Teams for whom Kaprizov would be of highest value (aspiring Cup contenders), normally would not be able to afford him. Trying to clear cap would just create a hole elsewhere.

I think one needs to look back at the similar level trade(s) to anchor the value expectations for possible return. I am looking at Eichel trade. What did Buffalo get? A middle-6 guy (Tuch), a former mid-1st pick already starting to disappoint (Krebs), and a late 1st rounder. I think that's the ballpark return Minny should be expecting, and this is why I think Kaprizov is staying in Minnesota. Guerin set on this course when he signed Kaprizov to the deal, and continued by re-signing Zuccarello, Hartman and Foligno. Not much can be done in the next 2-3 year IMO.
Eichel's value was way down, he wasn't even playing, and there were doubts that he would be ever be able to play again due to his neck/spine issues. There was also a lot of rumbling about his character, or lack of it, AND he was on an expiring contract.

Kaprizov has none of those issues.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Jarvis & Morrow from Canes
Nikishkin and Jarvis. Call me, you have my number.:thumbu:

Kap actually is exactly what the Canes need, would mesh well with Svech, and allow them to have two scoring lines. I just don't think that CAR can fit him into their salary structure. I could see TT and his expiring cap going the other way...he's not really a need, though.

In general, they are probably better off long term sticking with Jarvis, Nikishkin, and their ELC's, but there might be some impatience around the franchise, and wish for some immediate gratification(i.e. Cup). That's where Kaprizov comes in. He's signed for two more years after this, which has value.

theVladiator

May 26, 2018
Eichel's value was way down, he wasn't even playing, and there were doubts that he would be ever be able to play again due to his neck/spine issues. There was also a lot of rumbling about his character, or lack of it, AND he was on an expiring contract.

Kaprizov has none of those issues.

Granted, although Eichel's intrinsic value I think would be higher than Kaprizov's, Eichel being a center. Who else is there though to guide the expectations?

My main point is, the cap greatly tempers the demand for large contract like Kaprizov's, and elevates the value of blue chip prospect assets (top 10 picks), and ELC/bridge contracts. Which is why I am skeptical we will see Kaprizov being moved, and, if he is, the return will not include top-flight prospects or top-10 picks. Just my opinion though.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Granted, although Eichel's intrinsic value I think would be higher than Kaprizov's, Eichel being a center. Who else is there though to guide the expectations?

My main point is, the cap greatly tempers the demand for large contract like Kaprizov's, and elevates the value of blue chip prospect assets (top 10 picks), and ELC/bridge contracts. Which is why I am skeptical we will see Kaprizov being moved, and, if he is, the return will not include top-flight prospects or top-10 picks. Just my opinion though.

We've also seen top 10 picks moved for less. Garland+OEL for the 9th, DeBrincat for 7th+

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad