Player Discussion Kirby Dach: Welcome to Montreal part 2

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Yeah, from missing an entire year of hockey.
He's missed a LOT of hockey over the past few years.

Faceoffs are reps, give him half a season then evaluate, if not a center he can still be a giant winger as we saw when he played with Suzuki and Caufield
Yeah, it doesn't mean much right now. He should improve as he gets out there more.

We might have to broke our first line to get at least a good weapon for Dach, Armia is not cutting it in the top 6 as we're all aware.

I would like Marty to try these duos: Suzu/Slaf, Dach/CC and with Newhook & Heiner/Kap as 3rd wings
Armia's a terrible option. Joshua Roy is the right guy. Too bad he shit the bed in camp.

Reactions: Dutronc

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Gallagher has been playing decently, already has two goals. I'd try him instead of Armia. I would really like Dach with Heineman and Kapanen, but Dvorak has been looking rejuvenated with them
I think Gallagher's a better fit for that line - at least for now. He tends to ware down as the season goes on. Hopefully by then Roy can come back and then there's Laine who should be back miday through the year.
i wouldnt be surprised Dach ends up our 3rd C like Jordan Staal with pittsburgh with possibly a high pick for a center this year and Hage impressive start in the NCAA. He missed WAY too much hockey to develop. Bad trade by hughes as for now, just like newhook
I don't think it was a bad trade at all. He showed himself to be a strong center - just had some bad luck. And Newhook looked good last year too. We just had rotten luck with injuries.

As for him being a 3rd line center, I think he's a better player than that. But he's missed a lot of hockey the past few years. It's going to take time before he can come back all the way. It's only been a few games and I don't think he's been that bad.

Reactions: SlafySZN

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
I think he is more afraid than anything at this moment, so it's going to take some times to have the Dach we know.

He don't transport the puck like he did before, juste because, he looks "afraid" to be injured again.
A healthy year would do great for his mental state.

He's missed a LOT of hockey over the past few years.

Yeah, it doesn't mean much right now. He should improve as he gets out there more.

Armia's a terrible option. Joshua Roy is the right guy. Too bad he shit the bed in camp.
Then Roy is not the right guy.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
It's disappointing to me that it seems he didn't work on his shot with all that time off.

I mean, according to Dach himself he's been ready to play games since April, sooooo, why didn't you work on that shot with all that free time?

He has a very good shot but his game speed timing is out of whack......you can not simulate this in practice.

Reactions: Leto

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
He has a very good shot but his game speed timing is out of whack......you can not simulate this in practice.
He most definitely does not. One of the weakest in the league for a top6 forward. He hasn’t looked the part so far this year. Everyone always quick to blame linemates. Kirby has been the weak link on his line so far. It can and will change. He has a muffin shot though.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'm just happy he isn't injured yet. Had a scare in the preseason.

What happens if Dach does not live up to our top 2C expectations? What is our back up plan? Prior to last year and the year before, I had him in that winger/center type of player. He's not that good on faceoffs but he is a physical forward with skill/skating and can provide winger puck possession value.

The more I think about this, the more I would consider Dach as the power forward winger. Call it the upgrade on Anderson. So maybe Demidov can take that 2C spot and Dach can play on his RW. Not sure where Laine fits in the long run. Does he stay or not? Too early to know. But moving Newhook to 3rd line might be ideal.

Slaf / Suzuki / Caufield
Laine / Demidov / Dach

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He most definitely does not. One of the weakest in the league for a top6 forward. He hasn’t looked the part so far this year. Everyone always quick to blame linemates. Kirby has been the weak link on his line so far. It can and will change. He has a muffin shot though.

Sad but true. He started last year more as an impact player (Preseason and the first 2 games).

Dach does not have enough experience/maturity to lead a line on his own IMO. Hopefully he gains some good momentum as the season moves along but we should be considering a back-up plan if Dach does not live up to the 2C expectations.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
What happens if Dach does not live up to our top 2C expectations? What is our back up plan? Prior to last year and the year before, I had him in that winger/center type of player. He's not that good on faceoffs but he is a physical forward with skill/skating and can provide winger puck possession value.

The more I think about this, the more I would consider Dach as the power forward winger. Call it the upgrade on Anderson. So maybe Demidov can take that 2C spot and Dach can play on his RW. Not sure where Laine fits in the long run. Does he stay or not? Too early to know. But moving Newhook to 3rd line might be ideal.

Slaf / Suzuki / Caufield
Laine / Demidov / Dach

It's a good question, but I think KH has the ability to find 2C solutions. Kirby Dach himself is an example even if he doesn't work out.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It's a good question, but I think KH has the ability to find 2C solutions. Kirby Dach himself is an example even if he doesn't work out.

I am not low on Dach. Just pondering alternative roads we might be forced to go down. Would be a crazy move but this is the kind of move that pushes the Habs up to the playoffs?

If the Pens say yes, would you do it?
* Dach
* Anderson
* Flames/Panthers pick
* Barron
for
* Crosby
* Letang

Caufield / Suzuki / Slaf
Laine / Crosby / Demidov
Armia / Newhook / Kapanen
Heineman / Evans / Gallagher

Beck, Hage, Roy, F Xhekaj, etc

Matheson / Letang
Hutson / Guhle
Xhekaj / Savard

Reinbacher, Mailloux, Engstrom

• Haha
Reactions: Toene and Natey

Natey

GOATS
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
I am not low on Dach. Just pondering alternative roads we might be forced to go down. Would be a crazy move but this is the kind of move that pushes the Habs up to the playoffs?

* Dach
* Anderson
* Flames/Panthers pick
* Barron
for
* Crosby
* Letang

Caufield / Suzuki / Slaf
Laine / Crosby / Demidov

Matheson / Letang
Hutson / Guhle
Xhekaj / Savard

Why would a rebuilding team trade for 2 players who are 900 years old? Crosby is still good of course, but unless we're immediately flipping them for a better return, why? Good way to murder the rebuild.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006

* Dach
* Anderson
* Flames/Panthers pick
* Barron
for
* Crosby
* Letang

Caufield / Suzuki / Slaf
Laine / Crosby / Demidov

Matheson / Letang
Hutson / Guhle
Xhekaj / Savard

Are you ok?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Are you ok?

Yup. I don't consider this as crazy as it seems. I don't hate Dach but something tells me he is not here for the long haul. I also think the Pens miss the playoffs and are in rebuild denial.

Dach and the Flames/Panthers 1st are the youth hits. Crosby and Letang get us to the playoffs now vs later and the pressure is less on them at age 37 on our team with others like Suzuki, Caufield, Slaf, Guhle, Hutson surrounding them.

Lets see how this one ages. I know how it can look bad.

Explain to me what is bad about it?
I can guess but rather you explain it? Value is not there? Bad idea for the Habs in our rebuild? Pens will never do it?

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Back up plan is the development of Hage, UFA market and trade opportunities.. also there's a high likelihood one of our 1st rounders this year would be at the center position, as well.

Worst case really is Dach is a 3C or a big possession winger in the top 9. But I think he'll solidify as 2C by the end of the year provided he stays healthy. All of his skills are still on display, it's timing and sometimes a lack of confidence on the surgically repaired knee.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Backup plan?
Their first 4 picks from the last draft can all play center.

Adding to Beck, Newhook and Kapanen.

Some will be wingers and some will be bottom 6, but of the 7, I’m sure 1 will get there.

They’re still hoping for the best with Dach, but they’ve been hedging their bets.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Backup plan?
Their first 4 picks from the last draft can all play center.

Adding to Beck, Newhook and Kapanen.

Some will be wingers and some will be bottom 6, but of the 7, I’m sure 1 will get there.

They’re still hoping for the best with Dach, but they’ve been hedging their bets.

That's a 2+ year back up plan. I guess we just still remain patient? Transition years are delayed like the Sens/Sabres? I doubt Beck, Newhook, Kapanen are able to fill a 2C role. Maybe Hage but he's more than 2 years away. If Newhook can't play center for a contender after MacKinnon, he's not going to be able to do that behind Suzuki on a younger team. Newhook is not a center IMO. He's a winger who can play center as insurance (injuries) but it's not ideal if you want to win. If you want to delay the transition, it fits.

Demidov is the real back-up plan (next season). So yeah, this is a big season for Dach in terms of stapling himself in that 2C spot or even challenging Suzuki. He showed signs of that heading into last season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad