Kirby Dach - is there precedent for a happy ending?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
there was no injury to knee prior to Tinordi hit. maybe a psychic reading can help us predict how long his health will hold up. Allume des lampions!
A doctor should know some people are just more fragile than others. Just like some are more clumsy than others (like me). Dach needs to avoid all unnecessary contact. Now he may well go years without missing much time but HuGo needs to be looking for depth at centre.

Last edited:

Rob Sense

Apr 26, 2015
A doctor should know some people are just more fragile than others. Just like some are more clumsy than others (like me). Dach needs to avoid all unnecessary contact. Now he may well go years without missing much time but HuGo needs to be looking for depth at centre.
Really ??? based on what? psychic abilities?? if you and i are in front of 6'4" Kirby Dach are you the one who is going to call him FRAGILE??? you must be crazy! If he is going to avoid contact then he should retire and take up backgammon...FFS!

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Really ??? based on what? psychic abilities?? if you and i are in front of 6'4" Kirby Dach are you the one who is going to call him FRAGILE??? you must be crazy! If he is going to avoid contact then he should retire and take up backgammon...FFS!
What are you talking about??? Size has nothing to do with anything. he could be 8 feet tall and 400 lbs and break his wrist opening a door. Lindros might have had a long career if he had learned to not take vicious hits.

Rob Sense

Apr 26, 2015
What are you talking about??? Size has nothing to do with anything. he could be 8 feet tall and 400 lbs and break his wrist opening a door. Lindros might have had a long career if he had learned to not take vicious hits.
So Dach must retire to avoid any other injury? How about you send him an Instagram messge to inform him that your psychic abilities have concluded that he is done since it is impossible to avoid all unnecessary hits in pro hockey and that you do not want him to be the next Lindros! that is moronic.

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
Lindross had ONE flaw and that single flaw cost him his career. He always had his head down. That's it.

Like Slafkovsky in his rookie year. He learned where as Lindross never did.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
I'm waiting for Rain Man aka @VirginiaMtlExpat to give us his opinion
This is like seeing a Bat-signal in the night sky. I started a thread about this last summer. The basic idea was that I felt that some ironman players have a special skill in avoiding injuries where so-called injury-prone players are challenged in this area, though I believe that this skill can be conditioned (learned). I don't believe in injury prone players per se if that individual has rehabbed the snot out of that injury, like Monahan finally rehabbing that wonky hip and then playing 83 games.

But I also believe that an ironman like Suzuki would not let Tinordi run him into the bench the same way Dach did. He is significantly better at protecting himself. Or Kessel, or Marleau. The Habs need to do more to condition players into protecting themselves better, even if it costs a 2-minute penalty. Adam Nicholas needs to key on this, or hire a biomechanics expert who understands hockey. Look at game film of ironmen avoiding injuries, in the face of vicious contact, and drill these techniques into them. Stop being the league's injury patsies. Make injury avoidance one of the top priorities, like a potent powerplay.

Edit: some of this boils down to communication. Teammates telling one another: "Wilson on your 6. Hard left!" Make it a team priority with a multifactorial solution. You could actually practice like that, with the whites playing dirty against the reds, and maybe an extra layer of padding on the boards. The reds have to both score and avoid getting plastered into the boards using these techniques. What is preventing the Habs from being the most injury-proactive, communicative team in the league? Nothing, except lack of critical thinking.

Last edited:

JIMVINNY

Nov 9, 2007
Lindross had ONE flaw and that single flaw cost him his career. He always had his head down. That's it.

I'm not convinced that Slaf has learned to keep his head up, though. It seems to me he just learned to skate around always ready to be hit. There were a couple instances last year where a guy would have him lined up but bounce off, even though Slaf didn't appear aware the hit was coming.

Reactions: Habs13

Habs

I've almost had enough of you kids
Feb 28, 2002
This is like seeing a Bat-signal in the night sky. I started a thread about this last summer. The basic idea was that I felt that some ironman players have a special skill in avoiding injuries where so-called injury-prone players are challenged in this area, though I believe that this skill can be conditioned (learned). I don't believe in injury prone players per se if that individual has rehabbed the snot out of that injury, like Monahan finally rehabbing that wonky hip and then playing 83 games.

But I also believe that an ironman like Suzuki would not let Tinordi run him into the bench the same way Dach did. He is significantly better at protecting himself. Or Kessel, or Marleau. The Habs need to do more to condition players into protecting themselves better, even if it costs a 2-minute penalty. Adam Nicholas needs to key on this, or hire a biomechanics expert who understands hockey. Look at game film of ironmen avoiding injuries, in the face of vicious contact, and drill these techniques into them. Stop being the league's injury patsies. Make injury avoidance one of the top priorities, like a potent powerplay.

Edit: some of this boils down to communication. Teammates telling one another: "Wilson on your 6. Hard left!" Make it a team priority with a multifactorial solution. You could actually practice like that, with the whites playing dirty against the reds, and maybe an extra layer of padding on the boards. The reds have to both score and avoid getting plastered into the boards using these techniques. What is preventing the Habs from being the most injury-proactive, communicative team in the league? Nothing, except lack of critical thinking.
well said!

Last edited:
Reactions: Farmboy Patty

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

Dach plays quite a fast paced game leaves himself open at times. Like you said, Nicholas learns him. They go so fast though imagine it be harder. Anderson career also been cut down with injuries. Both fast in neutral zone. Game moving at quicker pace. Lesser degree Paul Bryon did too. The old saying I guess, speed kills.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
If Sean Monahan can come back after a billion surgeries to practically rebuild his entire body and then play an 83 game season and put up 60 points at 29 years old then its possible for almost anybody. That's just one season though.

It depends on a number of factors over the long term. Off-season training, pre game prep, and luck are among the biggest factors.

Dach is far from a right off as far as injuries go. I would say he's probably the one player that would benefit the most from playing a full season.
We can rebuild him, we have the technology.
We can make him faster.
We can make him stronger.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
What's up Habs fans!? Hawks fan here, saw the thread title on the HF side bar. Really wish the best for this kid, i met him in person in Chicago a few years back and he seemed like a nice guy.

What're you all expecting from him? From what us Hawks fan saw from his time with us I think he's got potential to be a 50-60 point guy, a reliable top 9 forward down the middle for years. He'd show flashes of high skill but lacks that offensive killer instinct IMO. He'd also routinely put himself in vulnerable positions so I worry about his health.

I doubt he becomes a true 1C, sadly. Nazar is far from a guarantee himself, so I hope both of these guys reach their full potential. Best of luck to Dach going forward!

I think he can be in suzuki's league. I was very impressed with his game.

But yes, injuries are piling up and he's missing out on development time. You might be bang on about leaving himself vulnerable. I mean, the way he went down last year against tinordi. Yes, it was an awkward fall and a freak accident but there is a part of me that wonders if dach could have protected himself better.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
How long will he last though? Had concussion his first camp, broke his wrist in WJC. His first year in Montreal had knee injury. Then last year he tore both MCL and ACL. Makes 5 years pro, 5 different injuries.

Nobody has the answers to this. Remember when everyone said Monahan was done? Dach is young and I have faith/hope that he reaches his potential and has some healthy years. We will see because that's the only thing we can do.

Reactions: BLONG7

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Nobody has the answers to this. Remember when everyone said Monahan was done? Dach is young and I have faith/hope that he reaches his potential and has some healthy years. We will see because that's the only thing we can do.
I remember when Markov missed a ton of games, during a 3 year period...................they said he was done, and way too injury prone. Then when on the play almost every game for the next 5-6 seasons.......
It's a fast game of physicality, and sometimes these injuries come from bad luck boys. Skate caught in a rut on the ice. a vicious hit from behind and 2 hand chop and the guy breaks your wrist.

Dach could spend some time chatting and learning from Suzuki for sure, but I can tell you if Suzuki gets targetted by a guy who wants to injure him it will happen, and we will blame Suzuki?

Dach knows he needs to play smarter and stay healthy but there are things happen, that you just can't control.

Last edited:
Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I remember when Markov missed a ton of games, during a 3 year period...................they said he was done, and way too injury prone. Then when on the play almost every game for the next 6-7 seasons.......
It's a fast game of physicality, and sometimes these injuries come from bad luck boys. Skate caught in a rut on the ice. a vicious hit from behind and 2 hand chop and the guy breaks your wrist.

Dach could spend some time chatting and learning from Suzuki for sure, but I can tell you if Suzuki gets targetted by a guy who wants to injure him it will happen, and we will blame Suzuki?

Dach knows he needs to play smarter and stay healthy but there are things happen, that you just can't control.

Agreed. Some will say he is injury prone and others will say it's bad luck. At the end of the day, we need a full season from Dach to gauge how good he is. Hopefully he is not playing a tentative style so he don't get injured.

2 more seasons and then he needs a new contract. Those are 2 big seasons for him if he is trying to set himself up to cash in.

Frankenheimer

Sir, this is an Arber
Feb 22, 2009
MTL

Lindros played in an era where headshots were tolerated. He would have been fine in this NHL.

Reactions: Habs

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
This guy went on to a half decent career after a few injury plagued seasons early

1725625428245.png

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Serge Savard. Who suffered two disastrous leg injuries and went on to have a Hall of Fame career. One could only imagine the heights he would have reached if he had avoided those injuries.
Agreed. Before being hurt he was very very high level. Some said almost Orr level.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009

Interesting. The amounts of injuries in the nhl are very high. Many not preventable but also many that could be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad