Kirby Dach - is there precedent for a happy ending?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
So much of this Habs roster seems to depend on Kirby Dach being the player we all want him to be. I'm definitely in the camp of "his injuries aren't related - he can bounce back!" but it's got me wondering, is there any historical precedent for a young player going through this many injuries (3 of first 5 seasons derailed by major injury) and still turning into a top player / borderline all-star?
Jean Ratelle. (though he wasn't AS young)

And what is this '3rd major injury' you speak of..?
I think it goes :
- Last year
- The year before
- WJC

Reactions: MTL Dirty Birdy

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Jean Ratelle. (though he wasn't AS young)

I think it goes :
- Last year
- The year before
- WJC
The year before? Played 60 games missed a bit of time with a concussion from the hit from behind vs Buffalo on his partial break, a cheap shot that could happen to anyone

He's had 2 major injuries, a broken wrist, and a torn ACL
Shit happens

the valiant effort

settle down, bud
Apr 17, 2017
A big positive we have to cling to here is his great stretch of play during the latter half of 2022-2023 (which carried right into 2023-2024 preseason and 4 periods…lol). To have that experience in his pocket while dealing with these horrible setbacks is much better than just trying to continue building on junior success, draft pedigree, and a good performance in the fake playoff bubble 4 years ago. I still wake up in a sweat every night fearful that he’ll never have luck with his health, but I am no longer doubting that he can be a PPG+ centre

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'm personally not worried about Dach one bit. He was performing better than Suzuki in preseason and in camp last year (before the injury) and Hughes said that as well.

The only thing I would be worried about is his term left and timing of when big contracts might have to be signed. Add Demidov, Hutson, Reinbacher to that list. Could snow ball on us if we rise up the standings with Dach's term left and most of our guys have better stats because we are a better team.

Hage is good insurance for Dach.... if Dach has more health issues or he shows signs of wanting to leave or asking for a contract that is too much.

Last edited:

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I'm personally not worried about Dach one bit. He was performing better than Suzuki in preseason and in camp last year (before the injury) and Hughes said that as well.

The only thing I would be worried about is his term left and timing of when big contracts might have to be signed. Add Demidov, Hutson, Reinbacher to that list. Could snow ball on us if we rise up the standings with Dach's term left and most of our guys have better stats because we are a better team.
Hage is good insurance for Dach.... if Dach has more health issues or he shows signs of wanting to leave or asking for a contract that is too much.
I'm going to be watching him in camp. Because Markov tore both MCL and ACL also. Never was same. Seemed a step slower. His could been age related though. Albeit His second year back Markov seemed a little faster than his first year back.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'm going to be watching him in camp. Because Markov tore both MCL and ACL also. Never was same. Seemed a step slower. His could been age related though. Albeit His second year back Markov seemed a little faster than his first year back.

I think he will be fine and he was skating pretty hard at the end of the season last year. However, we don't know for sure until we see the results.

The good news is we have talent for Dach to work with so maybe he will not feel the need to do to much on his own

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Serge Savard. Who suffered two disastrous leg injuries and went on to have a Hall of Fame career. One could only imagine the heights he would have reached if he had avoided those injuries.

Reactions: VirginiaMtlExpat

Rob Sense

Apr 26, 2015
Because the broken wrist and knee injury were on nothing plays. As opposed to, for example, Chara's cheap shot on Pacioretty where an injury was to be expected.
a 230 pound plus train called Tinordi just teeter-totering on his knee when dangling over the board is a nothing play? even his hit on the wrist was a fast moving play against stiff oponent.

Rob Sense

Apr 26, 2015
Markov had some of his best years after the knee surgery and played multiple full seasons.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
We got the best doctors. DaCH will be in good hands.

Injuries are part of the game.

Will come back more stronger than ever!

Rob Sense

Apr 26, 2015
I wonder if many posters here worry about how the acid rain may affect the paint job on their car and leave in the garage versus those who just want to take it out for a great September ride on a winding road???...RELAX and let DACH play. I swear the main boards are more rational (i never thought i would see myself post that!!) than this nervous nellie social club. and FWIW I am a MD and have been in knee reconstruction surgeries so i have seen the secret sauce.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I think he will be fine and he was skating pretty hard at the end of the season last year. However, we don't know for sure until we see the results.

The good news is we have talent for Dach to work with so maybe he will not feel the need to do to much on his own
How long will he last though? Had concussion his first camp, broke his wrist in WJC. His first year in Montreal had knee injury. Then last year he tore both MCL and ACL. Makes 5 years pro, 5 different injuries.

Rob Sense

Apr 26, 2015
How long will he last though? Had concussion his first camp, broke his wrist in WJC. His first year in Montreal had knee injury. Then last year he tore both MCL and ACL. Makes 5 years pro, 5 different injuries.
there was no injury to knee prior to Tinordi hit. maybe a psychic reading can help us predict how long his health will hold up. Allume des lampions!

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
So much of this Habs roster seems to depend on Kirby Dach being the player we all want him to be. I'm definitely in the camp of "his injuries aren't related - he can bounce back!" but it's got me wondering, is there any historical precedent for a young player going through this many injuries (3 of first 5 seasons derailed by major injury) and still turning into a top player / borderline all-star?
As long as it’s not his knees or hands he injured he’ll be just fine.

Knuckles30

Jul 4, 2006
Sheldon Souray. I saw the scars on his wrists from multiple surgeries and they were bad... then, he starts blasting pucks at ungodly speeds.
That's a great comparable (not to mention one of my favourite players from that awful, awful era) - thanks!

Reactions: Habs13

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Benoît Brunet!
Brunet would been good player but injuries ruined his career. Young players seem like loss of development time hurts double. Then again Veteran, like a Monahan, didn't hurt the same. Smarts he did it with I imagine. Monahan was slow though. At times seemed worse than others. Same as Markov, Markov they could beat him to outside his first year back. His second year back seemed like he evolved, he wasn't as bad.

Reactions: barbu

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
The year before? Played 60 games missed a bit of time with a concussion from the hit from behind vs Buffalo on his partial break, a cheap shot that could happen to anyone

He's had 2 major injuries, a broken wrist, and a torn ACL
Shit happens
Why guys want to blame the kid for these, I will never know........................he is a target because he is talented...........would be great to see him have some change in luck this year.
He will have to keep his head up, and play his game, and make sure he prepares himself to be a hunted player of sorts.......

Suzuki could give the kid some advice.....

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
He was also blasting people in the face with that wrist brace. Complete legend.
Oh yes he was! Lol. They don't make 'em like Souray anymore.

Why guys want to blame the kid for these, I will never know........................he is a target because he is talented...........would be great to see him have some change in luck this year.
He will have to keep his head up, and play his game, and make sure he prepares himself to be a hunted player of sorts.......

Suzuki could give the kid some advice.....
I mean, none of his injuries came off of dirty plays. If anything, the reason for concern is that his injuries came from minimal contact. He isn't being targeted at all.

Maybe he needs to learn to take a hit better... like Slafkovsky had to learn to keep his head up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boss Man Hughes

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
I wonder if many posters here worry about how the acid rain may affect the paint job on their car and leave in the garage versus those who just want to take it out for a great September ride on a winding road???...RELAX and let DACH play. I swear the main boards are more rational (i never thought i would see myself post that!!) than this nervous nellie social club. and FWIW I am a MD and have been in knee reconstruction surgeries so i have seen the secret sauce.
but can you fight?

Ad

Ad

Ad