Kirby Dach - is there precedent for a happy ending?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Knuckles30

Jul 4, 2006
So much of this Habs roster seems to depend on Kirby Dach being the player we all want him to be. I'm definitely in the camp of "his injuries aren't related - he can bounce back!" but it's got me wondering, is there any historical precedent for a young player going through this many injuries (3 of first 5 seasons derailed by major injury) and still turning into a top player / borderline all-star?

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
So much of this Habs roster seems to depend on Kirby Dach being the player we all want him to be. I'm definitely in the camp of "his injuries aren't related - he can bounce back!" but it's got me wondering, is there any historical precedent for a young player going through this many injuries (3 of first 5 seasons derailed by major injury) and still turning into a top player / borderline all-star?
Some guy named Maurice Richard was hurt so often the Canadiens looked into trading him. Brutal ankle injury.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Lots of player have been given the injury prone label only to come back healthy and productive. For a while Markov was looking like he would never be healthy but then came back and missed 2 games over the next 4 seasons. Koivu was another who ended up pretty healthy after being labelled injury prone.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
And what is this '3rd major injury' you speak of..?

Reactions: BLONG7

Knuckles30

Jul 4, 2006
Some guy named Maurice Richard was hurt so often the Canadiens looked into trading him. Brutal ankle injury.
That's not a bad comparison, but most of those injuries were actually before he made the NHL. After breaking his leg in his rookie year he only missed 4 games in year 2 and none in years 3-5.

Knuckles30

Jul 4, 2006
RNH, Tarasenko, Bratt, Markov, Stamkos
None of those are comparable? I'm not talking about star players who came back from serious injury - there are many of those. I'm talking about a promising player who had his prime development years derailed but still "made it".

Reactions: Vachon23

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
None of those are comparable? I'm not talking about star players who came back from serious injury - there are many of those. I'm talking about a promising player who had his prime development years derailed but still "made it".
I mean you'll never have an exact modern example. RNH FWIW missed large stretches in 3 of his 5 seasons post draft.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
If Sean Monahan can come back after a billion surgeries to practically rebuild his entire body and then play an 83 game season and put up 60 points at 29 years old then its possible for almost anybody. That's just one season though.

It depends on a number of factors over the long term. Off-season training, pre game prep, and luck are among the biggest factors.

Dach is far from a right off as far as injuries go. I would say he's probably the one player that would benefit the most from playing a full season.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Tough injuries out of the gate for this kid.....................let's hope he has better luck this year.
He can be a heck of a player......................coming out of camp last year, Hughes said Dach was their best player in camp.

As for others, not familiar with a kid who has had so much trouble out of the gate, after being drafted. Surely there are a few?

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Tough injuries out of the gate for this kid.....................let's hope he has better luck this year.
He can be a heck of a player......................coming out of camp last year, Hughes said Dach was their best player in camp.

As for others, not familiar with a kid who has had so much trouble out of the gate, after being drafted. Surely there are a few?
For depressing stories, Ryan Murray is one of them.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Markov came back after having torn a leg ligament twice. But he was always about smarts rather than speed. Saku had injury concerns at a young age and was able to carve out a great career.

The concerning part is the frequency. The Tinordi hit didn’t look like much and it tore a ligament. You can say bad luck, but when it keeps happening, you have to start to wonder.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
That's not a bad comparison, but most of those injuries were actually before he made the NHL. After breaking his leg in his rookie year he only missed 4 games in year 2 and none in years 3-5.
You asked, I answered. :laugh:

You’re not going to find an exact parallel. The good news with Dach is that his last injury shouldn’t be a problem going forward. Richard’s ankle bothered him for the rest of his career.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Koivu

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Alfredsson had a couple long seasons to start his career, then he followed that with 3 straight seasons of sub 60 games.

He ended up playing over 1200 nhl games.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad