Kingston Frontenacs 2024-25 Season Thread, Part I

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Yep, Moore in playing on the "top pair" with Burns, Pieniniemi with Uens and McGowan with Williamson
Interesting splitting burns and Pie up despite the recent success. Makes sense though as Moore probably needs a vet.

glad they’re keeping Williamson and McGowan together atleast.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Yep, Moore in playing on the "top pair" with Burns, Pieniniemi with Uens and McGowan with Williamson

Interesting splitting burns and Pie up despite the recent success. Makes sense though as Moore probably needs a vet.

glad they’re keeping Williamson and McGowan together atleast.
DAMN The Raccoon was right again.

I said all along they should be seperated adn everyone said the raccoon had rabies and did not know what he was saying.

I also remember saying something about this is not the year to go for it there are too many unknowns.

Yes this is going to be a good team BUT DEFINITLEY not a contender. 26 shots in a game is not going to win a lot of games especially when you give up 41.

WOW It is definitley getting HARD TO BE HUMBLE

I see the fronts as 4th at best but probably 5th if they make development moves. Wakely is not going tomake this a power team. You need a lot more than him at this stage.

Vaccari looked weak on the goals but then he faced a lot of rubber froma teamthat has a hard time scoring.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
On a different note.

There was alot made of Shane Wright and the way he was treated in Kingsotn by the coaching staff.

Remember that he was supposed to be a first pick first round pick Here is a thought.

First he went to an expansion team that touted him. BUT of the first round picks in 2022 he has the 7th NHL games.

I think it is safe to say that the teams that passed him knew what they were doing.

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
DAMN The Raccoon was right again.

I said all along they should be seperated adn everyone said the raccoon had rabies and did not know what he was saying.

I also remember saying something about this is not the year to go for it there are too many unknowns.

Yes this is going to be a good team BUT DEFINITLEY not a contender. 26 shots in a game is not going to win a lot of games especially when you give up 41.

WOW It is definitley getting HARD TO BE HUMBLE

I see the fronts as 4th at best but probably 5th if they make development moves. Wakely is not going tomake this a power team. You need a lot more than him at this stage.

Vaccari looked weak on the goals but then he faced a lot of rubber froma teamthat has a hard time scoring.
So the one game they split them up they give up 41 shots - maybe that's a sign they should be kept together 😂

I wasn't totally watching but I'm pretty sure they didn't even keep with the listed pairs, I only saw Moore out there a handful of times so they rolled 5D most of the game.

Reactions: frontsfan67

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
So the one game they split them up they give up 41 shots - maybe that's a sign they should be kept together 😂

I wasn't totally watching but I'm pretty sure they didn't even keep with the listed pairs, I only saw Moore out there a handful of times so they rolled 5D most of the game.
The challenge that they have is that if you pair them up then teams only have to worry about 1 defence pairing and the rest of the players stumble. You are going to develop the yong guns ilke Milliamson Velaris and Moore better by having them playing on a pairing that they kow if they make a mistake they can be covered.

As my friend @OMG67 says you can not have rookies out there skating all over the place. You need a vet to help them.

Pie is not an offensuve dynamo he is a defending D put him with Uens who likes to play forard and let them go

Burns with Wiliamson was a good pairing last year

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023
The challenge that they have is that if you pair them up then teams only have to worry about 1 defence pairing and the rest of the players stumble. You are going to develop the yong guns ilke Milliamson Velaris and Moore better by having them playing on a pairing that they kow if they make a mistake they can be covered.

As my friend @OMG67 says you can not have rookies out there skating all over the place. You need a vet to help them.

Pie is not an offensuve dynamo he is a defending D put him with Uens who likes to play forard and let them go

Burns didn’t even play with Williamson last year. Burns and Schmidt played together.

Pieniemi is not an offensive threat but yet he’s 5th in dman pts in the league lol…

Keep the horrible takes coming.

Reactions: frontsfan67

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014

If they play separate then then you have two rookies/young players stumbling around on your top two pairs which probably brings down the quality of both pairs enough.

Overly simplified example - player letter grades are up for debate

If Burns is an A, Pieniniemi is an A, and Moore is a D and Uens is a C - pairing Burns w/ Pieniniemi and Moore with Uens gives an A pair and a C-/D+ pair. Splitting up the top guys like they did yesterday would give a B pair and a B-/C+ pair.

If the other teams top line is A quality now both pairs will get overwhelmed instead of one.

The idea of splitting isn't bad in practice - but they need to have better depth so the weaker players don't drag down the better players.

Aside from the D pairs - Vaccari did not have a great outing but it's a refreshing change from last year because I guarantee last year they would've felt they had to keep him in because they didn't trust Salajko.

Did Burns get tripped on the OTG or did he just fall? I couldn't go to the game and it looked like he might've been tripped but they never showed a replay.

PuckLucker

Feb 18, 2024
^^^^Great accurate post!

Great game last night. Hard to be negative at all but I seem to always find a way. Two things irked me last night and one seems to be ongoing.

Why on earth with an 8 or 9 goal lead do you instantly put your number one powerplay unit out when you get a PP with three and a half minutes left? Seriously. Is that not a time to throw Weir, Buttar, Kelly and a couple D out that don't get PP time and try to give them some confidence?

Secondly and moreover, either the coaching staff or leadership group need to get a handle on a couple of players who seem to constantly do the following; score a goal and the teammate that passes it to them races towards them to celebrate but the goal scorer blows them off and doesn't acknowledge them and races to jump into the glass and look at themselves instead. a'la McNamara and Miedema. It's constant with those two when they score.

Secondly and moreover?
You're now focusing on how players celebrate or interact with the fans after a goal before linking up with teammates?
Watch the 1st minute of this clip - #93 and #91 do the exact same thing you're describing.

I'm with you on the PP still being used late in the Peterborough & North Bay games. An old school coach who sees a team doing this when the score is run up won't take kindly to it.

This coaching staff needs to slowly show some confidence in the younger players they drafted and dress each night and at least give them some shifts when the game is shored up and secure.

PuckLucker

Feb 18, 2024
If they play separate then then you have two rookies/young players stumbling around on your top two pairs which probably brings down the quality of both pairs enough.

Overly simplified example - player letter grades are up for debate

If Burns is an A, Pieniniemi is an A, and Moore is a D and Uens is a C - pairing Burns w/ Pieniniemi and Moore with Uens gives an A pair and a C-/D+ pair. Splitting up the top guys like they did yesterday would give a B pair and a B-/C+ pair.

If the other teams top line is A quality now both pairs will get overwhelmed instead of one.

The idea of splitting isn't bad in practice - but they need to have better depth so the weaker players don't drag down the better players.

Aside from the D pairs - Vaccari did not have a great outing but it's a refreshing change from last year because I guarantee last year they would've felt they had to keep him in because they didn't trust Salajko.

Did Burns get tripped on the OTG or did he just fall? I couldn't go to the game and it looked like he might've been tripped but they never showed a replay.
I couldn't see well if #41 was tripped or fell from my seat either.
I know his $400 stick died a quick death afterwards

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
I couldn't see well if #41 was tripped or fell from my seat either.
I know his $400 stick died a quick death afterwards
Yeah that reaction made me think it was more likely he just fell because he probably would've gone right at the refs instead of going all Paul Bunyan

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
IMO, the Fronts have four capable D-Men. The 3rd pairing is the pairing that needs a little support. I’m not a fan of Uens. I think in time, Villiaris can be better but on a team that wants to push for the division, maybe he’s not an ideal top 6 guy at this point.

In a perfect World, Kingston would acquire a true #1 guy back there and that trickle down effect helps all three pairings. But, barring that, jsut adding a solid Top 4 guy allows them to push Williamson down to the 3rd pairing. I like Williamson. He’s more than adequate. I like McGown on that 2nd pairing. If Williamson is on the 3rd pairing, McGowan is on the 2nd pairing and then they have whomever they acquire plus Pie and Burns, they will be fine. I don’t think the defence is in a bad spot. They jsut need to add someone that can eat minutes on the 2nd pairing with McGowan.

Or, they could go even cheaper and get a veteran depth D-Man and put Williamson and McGowan together. That would help too. The problem is the depth of the ‘05 class isn’t all that great league wide. Maybe finding those middle roster guys will be more difficult than other years?

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023
People need to relax a bit too.
We are through just over a week of the season.
The lose's in both cases have been close games and the team is competing.
Niagara loss was a bad last 5 minutes of the game with a couple empty netters and they have proven to be a strong team so far and a OTL to Ottawa isn't so bad.

Got to look at some of the positive like how Lalonde has looked, Mcgowan's improvements, Pie has looked great.
I would to think at some point here soon we see the net go to Lalonde.

Reactions: OMG67

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad