Kingston Frontenacs 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 4)

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
We all knew he wasn’t coming a few days after the draft cooper even said he was surprised.

Doesn’t mean they won’t trade him for conditionals and to a team where he MAY commit to. Gotta remember he misses out on team Canada going to the BCHL. Regardless on if it’s in kingston or somewhere else in the OHL like Guelph, London, Kitchener etc- they’re still going to trade him.

Worst case scenario they still get their first back and some high conditionals next year in what should be a better draft(assuming half of good players don’t go elsewhere-bchl, ushl etc this year)

It is interesting that his Dad is coaching Abbotsford which is only 25 minutes away from Chilliwack so he will clearly be living with his family. I sense this is the real reason he is going to the BCHL and not somewhere else.

The question is where will these guys play as 17 year olds? Are some simply just keeping their options open? I know there are some rumblings that 67’s draft pick, Vandenberg, is going to play USHL as a 16 year old but he is likely to entertain the OHL as a 17 year old.

It is tough for 16 year olds in the OHL and not enough Tier II programs offer strong ice time outside of affiliate programs/teams.

Reactions: frontsfan67

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
We all knew he wasn’t coming a few days after the draft cooper even said he was surprised.

Doesn’t mean they won’t trade him for conditionals and to a team where he MAY commit to. Gotta remember he misses out on team Canada going to the BCHL. Regardless on if it’s in kingston or somewhere else in the OHL like Guelph, London, Kitchener etc- they’re still going to trade him.

Worst case scenario they still get their first back and some high conditionals next year in what should be a better draft(assuming half of good players don’t go elsewhere-bchl, ushl etc this year)
I am sure that he thought about the ramifications before going. Also there is no guarantee that he will make a world Junior team the next two years and once he is NCAA he will be eligible to play so it is not tht big a deal.

The loss for you guys is that one year of development. Next year, you will deal with 2 first-round pick rookies instead of a sophomore and a rookie. Also if Frasca leaves that cuts down on your centgers where Malhorta could have played 3rd string minutes

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I am sure that he thought about the ramifications before going. Also there is no guarantee that he will make a world Junior team the next two years and once he is NCAA he will be eligible to play so it is not tht big a deal.

The loss for you guys is that one year of development. Next year, you will deal with 2 first-round pick rookies instead of a sophomore and a rookie. Also if Frasca leaves that cuts down on your centgers where Malhorta could have played 3rd string minutes

Could have been worse, the Frontenacs could have had to deal with the development of rookie 1st and 2nd during a contending season?

On the bright side, Kingston can trade away their ‘25-3rd, 4ths and not have a draft class void of talent. As long as it doesn’t happen twice in three years it is not really a problem.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017

he really should not have been surprised, he was open about it the whole time. cooper thoguht there was a deal in place with guelph and the agent said not a chance. agent seems to be telling the truth.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
he really should not have been surprised, he was open about it the whole time. cooper thoguht there was a deal in place with guelph and the agent said not a chance. agent seems to be telling the truth.
no matter what was said it is obvious that Cooper screwed the pooch

ktownfan

Apr 28, 2022
now for OA's we have Lalonde, Poole, Heyes, Guindon. Will we be bringing in more or what is the feeling?

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
If they haven't acquired anyone I could maybe see one of them starting the year (I'd rather Heyes but Poole is a C) with Kingston with the understanding that they'll likely be traded/waived by the deadline - I could be wrong but it feels like Kingston is short on signed players so the extra body could help.

Reactions: dirty12

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
If they haven't acquired anyone I could maybe see one of them starting the year (I'd rather Heyes but Poole is a C) with Kingston with the understanding that they'll likely be traded/waived by the deadline - I could be wrong but it feels like Kingston is short on signed players so the extra body could help.
I feel like Poole retires due to all the concussions and they keep Heyes until the deadline then at the deadline they flip Heyes with whatever else to acquire an OA d man.

Some team should want Heyes. Could be a decent middle 6 player on a lower end team and he’s a great penalty killer and locker room guy. For a young team like maybe Peterborough/sarnia etc an older guy on the pk with leadership would help their team lots even if his role isn’t to fill the net.

Or a team that has a struggling pk and an open OA spot could take him to help their pk out at a low cost. Just my thoughts

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019
I feel like Poole retires due to all the concussions and they keep Heyes until the deadline then at the deadline they flip Heyes with whatever else to acquire an OA d man.

Some team should want Heyes. Could be a decent middle 6 player on a lower end team and he’s a great penalty killer and locker room guy. For a young team like maybe Peterborough/sarnia etc an older guy on the pk with leadership would help their team lots even if his role isn’t to fill the net.

Or a team that has a struggling pk and an open OA spot could take him to help their pk out at a low cost. Just my thoughts
Owen Sound would have room for an OA forward at some point I’d think, but will Heyes be better then any of the kids they would be playing?

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Owen Sound would have room for an OA forward at some point I’d think, but will Heyes be better than any of the kids they would be playing?
I dont think you guys want either. Just because of the rumoured Guindon trade- you’d think they may want a body back(with picks) for Guindon but they elected just picks rather than either of those guys included.

For context heyes and Poole (along with Stewart when they had him) were all on the same line years ago and when Stewart left- Poole and Heyes both kinda stayed on the 4th line. Both have shown flashes of skill. Heyes is definitely the more skilled of the 2 and is faster, and a better penalty killer. (But Poole is a consistent +50% Faceoff man so both were good role players- just not enough to hold onto for an OA season especially when we are going for it)

Think the 3 guys you are holding onto (for now) are hookey, jordan, smith(assuming he returns but will likely be flipped later on in the year)

Stewart may not be back unless they trade smith and I heard that Steen was put on waivers but not claimed. Votary doesn’t have very good stats especially for a guy you’d be bringing back as an OA- definitely don’t think he is back either. And then Guindon you guys are supposedly trading to us.

Last edited:

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013

I doubt the Petes will trade for Gage Hayes. They already have Jonathan Melee and Ryder MacIntyre who likely will be two of their three overages. Both are better than Heyes. If they do not keep Liam Sztuska as their third overage they will likely trade for an overage defenceman to fill that spot.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
I doubt the Petes will trade for Gage Hayes. They already have Jonathan Melee and Ryder MacIntyre who likely will be two of their three overages. Both are better than Heyes. If they do not keep Liam Sztuska as their third overage they will likely trade for an overage defenceman to fill that spot.
Yeah not sure if anybody will trade but I just meant a younger team may take a look, not necessarily the Pete’s and sarnia but those are 2 of the younger ones in the league that I thought of right away. should’ve specified that.

Hopkins made the u18 team.

Not surprised. I expect him to be the third line centre behind desnoyers and obrien.

Also saw he is listed at 185lbs now. He was drafted at 160. Glad he put on the weight he probably won’t be knocked around as much now. Wonder if this affects how fast of a skater he is.

He is the heaviest forward and tied for the tallest with a few other kids LOL. Small forward group

Last edited:

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Yeah not sure if anybody will trade but I just meant a younger team may take a look, not necessarily the Pete’s and sarnia but those are 2 of the younger ones in the league that I thought of right away. should’ve specified that.

Hopkins made the u18 team.

Not surprised. I expect him to be either in their top 6 or the best player on that third line. Definitely better than atleast 3 of those forwards there.
Keep in mind, the only trade I would consider is if Frasca really wants out. It's important to start with what we have and evaluate our needs as the season progresses.

You have a team that is going to have issues personally. You need to start the season with what you have, and then as time goes on, be it in camp or after, you can evaluate your needs. Having an open OA slot or 2 is not a bad thing.

Also, are you sure that your Euro picks are going to report? As I understand it you have

Uronen could opt to play in Europe depending on what Vegas says
Pie who people seem to think is going to be sent here by the Pens or could go AHL or Euro
Chromiak who you still have and would have to be let go or traded AGAIN if the other 2 show up

If Pie does report then you are good on the left side of the D but really hurting on the R side

I would suggest that, based on Pie returning, you could go into the start of the season with only 1 OA and trade Budnick.

possible D

Pienimi Uens
Burns Williamson
Vellaris
Bergeron

I would be surprised if anyone wants Chromiak. but you definitely need RD help and that is not cheap

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Keep in mind, the only trade I would consider is if Frasca really wants out. It's important to start with what we have and evaluate our needs as the season progresses.

You have a team that is going to have issues personally. You need to start the season with what you have, and then as time goes on, be it in camp or after, you can evaluate your needs. Having an open OA slot or 2 is not a bad thing.

Also, are you sure that your Euro picks are going to report? As I understand it you have

Uronen could opt to play in Europe depending on what Vegas says
Pie who people seem to think is going to be sent here by the Pens or could go AHL or Euro
Chromiak who you still have and would have to be let go or traded AGAIN if the other 2 show up

If Pie does report then you are good on the left side of the D but really hurting on the R side

I would suggest that, based on Pie returning, you could go into the start of the season with only 1 OA and trade Budnick.

possible D

Pienimi Uens
Burns Williamson
Vellaris
Bergeron

I would be surprised if anyone wants Chromiak. but you definitely need RD help and that is not cheap
Just want to clarify about my comment that you quoted before I could fix it- I thought some of those players that are better than Hopkins were wingers because I couldn’t find the roster very easily. Just wanted to clarify in case anyone else sees that lol.

Yeah I agree about keeping the 1 open in case you need it I believe I mentioned that above somewhere. Also about frasca yes he needs to go if he’s not getting along with coaching staff etc- can turn the picks we get from him into a big upgrade in a go for it year- just without the 08 we can’t go get guys like Rehkopf or Barlow likely.

Uronens family have liked posts and all that about him by the fronts. Believe somewhere- maybe on the post when we got him that cooper made it seem like he’s coming.

Again not sure if they get Pieniniemi or not- but that’s the rumour- I don’t get much info until the season starts and I see certain people so any time I mention something about pieniniemi it could be true or false- wanted to clarify that too. I hope they get pieniniemi because I’m not sure who is worse defensively.. uens or Chromiak but having both on the same team AGAIN is going to make my eyes bleed watching their play.

If they were to trade Chromiak and pieniniemi did report I don’t think they’d get very much for him but I think they could maybe get a mid round pick like a 6th or 7th but nothing that would be included in a big trade.

Also Budnick has been long gone. Hindsight 20/20 would be nice to have him on the right side but I believe he asked out last year so that’s why they got rid of him.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Budnick was traded last year to Guelph
DAMN, I WISH THE OHL roster sheets were up to date. You would not think it that hard to take a player who is traded off the roster of Team A and put him on the roster of Team B. But the OHL webmaster seems to have that difficulty

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
DAMN, I WISH THE OHL roster sheets were up to date. You would not think it that hard to take a player who is traded off the roster of Team A and put him on the roster of Team B. But the OHL webmaster seems to have that difficulty
I would think you could just remember it if you’re a fan of the team, no? he stays in the stats sheet because he played games with the team, you can’t just delete the games he played for kingston

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023
Budnick was traded last year to Guelph
I've told him 5x in the past 6 months lol.

Chromiak is on the block.
Pittsburgh has told Kingston Pie will be there for this season.
He is not AHL ready and Pitts knows it after evaluating him last season in the Lilga where he struggled.
The kid is 170 lbs.
Kingston needs to look for a solid OA right shot D imo.
The forward core is solid, If Pie does in fact come as told they have a legitimate top D pairing and Lalonde hopefully answers the goaltending issues.
Kingston is well positioned with the addition of Guidon and more moves that may come shortly.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

You can check playoff or regular season stats (traded players at bottom).

fronts123

Jul 31, 2024
Ok

for the sake of my sanity I hope you’re right

Fair point. I don’t know what to expect of them they’re a real wildcard for me
I have just come across these forums from last season and now the of season. I have noticed many of you and especially frontsfan67 hate uens. I know the family, the kid, and real knowledge/conversations with these players. first off anyone who listens to frontsfan67 he knows nothing to the fact i see he's stated budnick is a "room guy". The players didn't like him do to his ego and he wanted a trade because he knew no one liked him.

so now i start with Uens,

After an incredible rookie season and looking to become a big OHL name things went downhill for him offensively i will admit which i will get to later on. However none of you understand what he has dealt with and why you assume he lost his passion and drive. (I spoke recently with Uens he is more determined then ever he is going to bounce back this year) So imagine moving away at 16 years old playing under a hard ass coach, uens starts fighting blocking a crazy amount of shots getting blown up to make plays all while standing at 5,8. This kid has taken a skate to the face broke his nose and missed one shift then came out for the last shift of the period and blocks 2 shots one being a one timer. (He's crazy and refuses to show people he's hurt). Being this size playing this way his head has become a serious issue. No medical staff or any one in owen sound or kingston organization knows this, his family i don't believe is even aware. Everyone go watch his fight early on in his second year against jorian donovan. He starts the fight without a helmet doing great then takes bad blows to the back the head in obvious pain. He then the next game misses his only game in his career do to 'sickness' (only missed others for suspension). The kid told the staff he's crazy sick and couldn't play over the phone. Meanwhile, it was heard his girlfriend that night took care of him and he was burnt up puking every time he stands. Then next day he couldn't open his eyes yelling in pain throwing up unable to move. Now take in he practices the next day because he knows his teammates look to him as a warrior and doesn't want to show weakness likely because he's always been told he's to small. so now i have heard he is getting much better after 2 years but has dealt every day and night with paranoia and his head bothering him without telling anyone this is just rumors that have came from someone very close to him who certainly would know these things/seen them so i assume this is the case . I have even heard stories of him puking in intermission again telling people he's sick but came after a big hit or fight. So please grow up and get off the kid that battles for you every night doing the things no one else will at half there size.

So now you can see i have some inside scoop i also have access to elite advanced stats. you say uens is a offensive defensemen and terrible defensively. your 100% right his offensive game has been a bust to what we saw his rookie season and the stats dont lie. Not point stats, real stats that you'll never get your hands on as you don't have any involvement with the league no matter how much you think you know . However his defensive game has grown to be elite the stats don't lie as it follows

Pros
-Shot blocking 96.4th percentile
-Exit passes 88.2th percentile (turnover machine though right?
-Puck battles 94.7th percentile (to Small?)
-Gap Set 98.0th percentile (average gap set at 7.8ft, that is a very elite stat)
-Kill/dump rate 96.7th percentile

Cons
Carries out of neutral zone rate 54th percentile (likely due to being a pass first player)
point shots on net 45th percentile
expected offence 58th percentile
passes to slot allowed rate 57th percentile
expected points 44th percentile

For those who don't understand the percentile metric. This is comparable to all defensemen in the league averages. for example if there was a 100 defensemen, the 20th best shot blocking numbers would land you in the 80th percentile. Hope that makes sense
90-100 is extremely elite
70-90 is great
70 good
50-60 ok
30-50 weakness
30 under liability

Uens best categories all are defensive and point towards him being a elite defender.
His only real low defensive stat is pass to slot allowed rate which is likely due to him trying to be to physical at times allowing passes through his feet to the slot as he doesn't give anything up off the rush. The offensive stats are not impressive at all he knows and he's working on it I'm sure.. The team has access to all this info they see him as a inspiration in the room there's a reason he won the unsung hero, no one respects his game other then the ones who truly understand the game he will break out his offense just watch.

This d core looks great this year with burns and likely pienemi as a 1,2 however McGowan and Uens are very good together and i believe they both will have breakout seasons offensively while continuing to dominate defensively. To add McGowan is the next best is in gap set on the team in the 96th percentile which makes these to elite when working together.
Uens plays his best with those who have good gaps as if one defenders gap is off it can kill someone who has a good gap with defenders sneaking behind them. This is why holmes and uens struggle together. where as chromiak with much worse defensive stats played much better with holmes.

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
I have just come across these forums from last season and now the of season. I have noticed many of you and especially frontsfan67 hate uens. I know the family, the kid, and real knowledge/conversations with these players. first off anyone who listens to frontsfan67 he knows nothing to the fact i see he's stated budnick is a "room guy". The players didn't like him do to his ego and he wanted a trade because he knew no one liked him.

After an incredible rookie season and looking to become a big OHL name things went downhill for him offensively i will admit which i will get to later on. However none of you understand what he has dealt with and why you assume he lost his passion and drive. (I spoke recently with Uens he is more determined then ever he is going to bounce back this year) So imagine moving away at 16 years old playing under a hard ass coach, uens starts fighting blocking a crazy amount of shots getting blown up to make plays all while standing at 5,8. This kid has taken a skate to the face broke his nose and missed one shift then came out for the last shift of the period and blocks 2 shots one being a one timer. (He's crazy and refuses to show people he's hurt). Being this size playing this way his head has become a serious issue. No medical staff or any one in owen sound or kingston organization knows this, his family i don't believe is even aware. Everyone go watch his fight early on in his second year against jorian donovan. He starts the fight without a helmet doing great then takes bad blows to the back the head in obvious pain. He then the next game misses his only game in his career do to 'sickness' (only missed others for suspension). The kid told the staff he's crazy sick and couldn't play over the phone. Meanwhile, it was heard his girlfriend that night took care of him and he was burnt up puking every time he stands. Then next day he couldn't open his eyes yelling in pain throwing up unable to move. Now take in he practices the next day because he knows his teammates look to him as a warrior and doesn't want to show weakness likely because he's always been told he's to small. so now i have heard he is getting much better after 2 years but has dealt every day and night with paranoia and his head bothering him without telling anyone this is just rumors that have came from someone very close to him who certainly would know these things/seen them so i assume this is the case . I have even heard stories of him puking in intermission again telling people he's sick but came after a big hit or fight. So please grow up and get off the kid that battles for you every night doing the things no one else will at half there size.

So now you can see i have some inside scoop i also have access to elite advanced stats. you say uens is a offensive defensemen and terrible defensively. your 100% right his offensive game has been a bust to what we saw his rookie season and the stats dont lie. Not point stats, real stats that you'll never get your hands on as you don't have any involvement with the league no matter how much you think you know . However his defensive game has grown to be elite the stats don't lie as it follows

Pros
-Gap Set 98.0th percentile (average gap set at 7.8ft, that is a very elite stat)

Cons
Carries out of neutral zone rate 54th percentile (likely due to being a pass first player)

For those who don't understand the percentile metric. This is comparable to all defensemen in the league averages. for example if there was a 100 defensemen, the 20th best shot blocking numbers would land you in the 80th percentile. Hope that makes sense
70-90 is great
70 good
50-60 ok
30-50 weakness
30 under liability

Uens best categories all are defensive and point towards him being a elite defender.
His only real low defensive stat is pass to slot allowed rate which is likely due to him trying to be to physical at times allowing passes through his feet to the slot as he doesn't give anything up off the rush. The offensive stats are not impressive at all he knows and he's working on it I'm sure.. The team has access to all this info they see him as a inspiration in the room there's a reason he won the unsung hero, no one respects his game other then the ones who truly understand the game he will break out his offense just watch.

This d core looks great this year with burns and likely pienemi as a 1,2 however McGowan and Uens are very good together and i believe they both will have breakout seasons offensively while continuing to dominate defensively. To add McGowan is the next best is in gap set on the team in the 96th percentile which makes these to elite when working together.
Uens plays his best with those who have good gaps as if one defenders gap is off it can kill someone who has a good gap with defenders sneaking behind them. This is why holmes and uens struggle together. where as chromiak with much worse defensive stats played much better with holmes.
This really reads like someone with a personal connection to Uens defending him so I can't help but be a little skeptical - but the advanced stats (provided they're accurate) are interesting and higher in some spots than I would've guessed (puck battles being the main one - mostly due to often having a size disadvantage). I don't know how they quantify gap set - but I'd have to imagine Uens' lack of size plays a factor in his gap being smaller because he has a small reach - similar to why McGowan is also up there.

As much as it is admirable that he's a warrior and fights through everything - if all this is true someone needs to step in. Not only is it a very unhealthy way to go about hockey - if he's playing every game at significantly below 100%, it's impacting the rest of the team because although it may be inspiring, they're not getting the best version of Uens every night.

If you truly are someone with access to InStat you'll likely need to get vetted by mods - there's a few people that post across all the forums that have been confirmed as "insiders" - from what I gather it's requried to post inside info/stats because there's too many people that come around posting BS rumours with nothing to back it up.

Reactions: frontsfan67

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022

Pros

Cons

70-90 is great
70 good
50-60 ok
30-50 weakness
30 under liability

How’s it going Mr Uens?? You having a good summer?

I’ve said many times how uens is a turnover factory. That’s the part that makes my eyes bleed LOL. You will see some periods where he has 3 or 4 bad ones in a period- the opposing team doesn’t score all of them but when you pass it in front of the net enough- they will sooner or later. Pretty sure they teach not to do this very early on like I’m talking when you’re below the age of 10. People harp on burns all the time for it- atleast burns brings a good 30 points a year. Also a lot of people hate on burns for dumb penalties but uens does the exact same thing. Just doesn’t make much sense- cutting up the star d and leaving the depth d alone just because he’s from gan?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad