Kingston Frontenacs 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 4)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
OK, so all the pundits who said Kingston was going to be able to draft 2 players today were mistaken.

Those of us who thought they would release Chromiak were mistaken.

I think that "Pie in the sky" may not be coming as I am sure Chromiak's agent would ensure that Chromiak is not put in the same situation as he was in Sudbury.

CONFIRMED KINGSTON HAS PASSED N BOTH PICKS

Last edited:

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Gong into the start of the year you will have

Battaglia Frasca Uronen (After he comes back form AHL camp)
Miedema Hopkins Soto
McNamara Cavalin Weir
Buttar Shewfelt

Burns Chromiak
McGowan Uens
Vedllaris Williamson
Moore

Vaccari Lalaonde

I am hopng that I got all the right players on here my apologies if not

Thoughts on this lineup

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
OK, so all the pundits who said Kingston was going to be able to draft 2 players today were mistaken.

Those of us who thought they would release Chromiak were mistaken.

I think that "Pie in the sky" may not be coming as I am sure Chromiak's agent would ensure that Chromiak is not put in the same situation as he was in Sudbury.
had they not traded for a kid and traded chromiak, like they could have, they would have made 2. they have 4 imports now, they can carry 4 until the season

Reactions: frontsfan67

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
Confirmed based on the CHL Import Draft page Kingston has passed both import draft picks.

This is what I've got so far:

BattagliaFrascaUronen
MiedemaHopkinsSoto
McNamaraWeir
ButtarCavallin
McQuaigKelly
BurnsChromiak
McGowanUens
VelliarisWilliamson
Bergeron
Lalonde (OA)
Vaccari
Salajko/Betts

This is strictly signed players - I wouldn't be surprised if they sign some other picks during training camp. But as of right now, only having 4 forwards signed from the 2022/2023 drafts is starting to impact their depth.

My guess is the empty spots at 3C and 4RW will be filled with OA acquisitions at some point (they'll play higher in the lineup and others will shuffle down). If the season started now I'd be thinking that Poole and Heyes could possibly even start the year with Kingston, knowing they're a placeholder until a trade upgrade comes along.

They'll also need a RD upgrade at some point - if they opt for an OA there they could look elsewhere for a forward, and depending on how the season starts they could look to shore up their lack of depth.

Edit - I suppose Hemstrom is an option - but that weakens the D even more and takes up another OA spot.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
had they not traded for a kid and traded chromiak, like they could have, they would have made 2. they have 4 imports now, they can carry 4 until the season
Hemstrom is gone. There is no way in hell they would have traded for Uronen.

As to Chromiak and "Pie in the Sky," I see no way that Chromiak's agent would let them keep him or his play here if there was not a guarantee that he would not face the same issue as he did last year in Sudbury.

YOu have ONLY 2 import players in your lineup and they are Uronen and Chromiak.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Confirmed based on the CHL Import Draft page Kingston has passed both import draft picks.

This is what I've got so far:

BattagliaFrascaUronen
MiedemaHopkinsSoto
McNamaraWeir
ButtarCavallin
McQuaigKelly
BurnsChromiak
McGowanUens
VelliarisWilliamson
Bergeron
Lalonde (OA)
Vaccari
Salajko/Betts

This is strictly signed players - I wouldn't be surprised if they sign some other picks during training camp. But as of right now, only having 4 forwards signed from the 2022/2023 drafts is starting to impact their depth.

My guess is the empty spots at 3C and 4RW will be filled with OA acquisitions at some point (they'll play higher in the lineup and others will shuffle down). If the season started now I'd be thinking that Poole and Heyes could possibly even start the year with Kingston, knowing they're a placeholder until a trade upgrade comes along.

They'll also need a RD upgrade at some point - if they opt for an OA there they could look elsewhere for a forward, and depending on how the season starts they could look to shore up their lack of depth.

Edit - I suppose Hemstrom is an option - but that weakens the D even more and takes up another OA spot.
Bergeron was a 12th-round 22 draftee that got a grand total of 8 pts in the CCHL

MCQuaig and Kelly would be better off playing in the CCHL or OJHL to get experience, but I see your point because of the lack of players.

I think there may be a hope that Ludwinski gets returned with Pie in the Sky LOL

BigHitter67

Feb 6, 2014
Bergeron was a 12th-round 22 draftee that got a grand total of 8 pts in the CCHL

MCQuaig and Kelly would be better off playing in the CCHL or OJHL to get experience, but I see your point because of the lack of players.

I think there may be a hope that Ludwinski gets returned with Pie in the Sky LOL
Not 100% but pretty sure Bergeron actually hung them up last season . As in quit hockey ..

• Wow

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014

Agreed I absolutely don't expect them to play - I'm just listing them based on the fact they've committed and others haven't.

Not 100% but pretty sure Bergeron actually hung them up last season . As in quit hockey ..
If that's the case then they're lacking in defense depth too...

I must be missing something - are the Fronts not very short on signed/committed players?

The 12 forwards above (14 if you want to include Heyes/Poole but I consider them gone)
The 6 defense above (7 if you add in Bergeron)
The 4 goalies above.

At the absolute most they have 25 signed players - but McQuaig and Kelly should be playing in Jr A/B.

I don't know what other teams are like but YEESH it looks like they have no depth at all right now.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Agreed I absolutely don't expect them to play - I'm just listing them based on the fact they've committed and others haven't.

If that's the case then they're lacking in defense depth too...

I must be missing something - are the Fronts not very short on signed/committed players?

The 12 forwards above (14 if you want to include Heyes/Poole but I consider them gone)
The 6 defense above (7 if you add in Bergeron)
The 4 goalies above.

At the absolute most they have 25 signed players - but McQuaig and Kelly should be playing in Jr A/B.

I don't know what other teams are like but YEESH it looks like they have no depth at all right now.
No, they don't and to be honest looking at the line up I really do not see them competing for a top 3 in the conference, If they have this little depth they may even struggle to be top 4-5.

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
No, they don't and to be honest looking at the line up I really do not see them competing for a top 3 in the conference, If they have this little depth they may even struggle to be top 4-5.
Whatever two quality OAs they end with post-deadline will help with the appearance of the lineup - but the depth is still really concerning.

I'm hoping Cooper is out there recruiting HARD for players from the '22 and '23 drafts to come - right now only 7 have played games between the two drafts and one has possibly walked away from hockey.

If there's anyone to target I think it would be Kieren Dervin.

It would be really nice if the Fronts were able to slot in a '24 first round pick - but nope!

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Fronts cannot bring Chromiak back. They’d be better off trying to trade him and pick up some other teams import.

If it came between choosing hemstrom as an OA import and having Chromiak back 100 times out of 100 I’m picking hemstrom even if it means we have to pick up another d man and lose an OA spot. Odds are with that OA spot they’d be picking up a winger anyways for up front before trading for an OA d man to fill out the 3 spots.

Chromiak and Uens on the back end again? Yikes can’t get much worse than those 2 defensively.

If pieniniemi comes over we’re saved but it seems the fronts aren’t 100% sure about that just yet based off keeping the rights of Chromiak and hemstrom. In a perfect world Uronen(lock) and pieniniemi(it seems as a long shot now) would be 2 GREAT imports.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Even 1 (if not 2 or all 3 lol) of Dervin, Manza, Luciano would be a huge boost for the fronts. Hopefully they play their cards right and get 1. That would help with our third line.

Cause as it stands right now- McNamara probably plays third line C or they put Hopkins/frasca there but both of those guys need to be getting the minutes in the top 6

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Forwards:
1 Battaglia Frasca Uronen
2 Miedema Hopkins Soto
3 McNamara Trade/Dervin?? Weir
4 Buttar Cavallin Manza??

Extra Forwards:
McQuaig??, Kelly??

Defence:
1 Burns Trade for OA/19 yo??
2 Pieniniemi?? Williamson
3 McGowan Velliaris

Extra D (hopefully):
Uens

Goalies:
1A Vaccari
1B Lalonde (OA)

LOTS of questions going into training camp.

Dervin doesn’t have a place to go next season so hopefully he comes here because he would be a great 3rd line C.

Manza isn’t committed to anywhere until 2026/2027 and has his nhl draft in 2026. Need to find a way for him to commit here but will be challenging if he only plays 4th line minutes- may lead to a trade for McNamara and they use those picks to acquire a C if Dervin doesn’t come

McQuaig and Kelly are signed so they can be included as extra forwards although I think they play in the OJHL/GOJHL.

1st line RD it seems pretty obvious there’s a glaring hole there- probably the most obvious thing going into next season is them looking for someone to come play there.

Pieniniemi is a big ‘?’
If they get him to commit here that’s amazing. However given they still hold the rights to hemstrom AND Chromiak- it seems like it may be a long shot. I’m also wondering if they picked up uronen as a way to potentially sway Pieniniemi being as they’ve played together before.

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
Dervin doesn’t have a place to go next season so hopefully he comes here because he would be a great 3rd line C.

Manza isn’t committed to anywhere until 2026/2027 and has his nhl draft in 2026. Need to find a way for him to commit here but will be challenging if he only plays 4th line minutes- may lead to a trade for McNamara and they use those picks to acquire a C if Dervin doesn’t come
They both have options - they were both picked in the USHL draft this year.

Dervin slots in at 3C fairly well - and if Manza comes I feel pretty safe saying he'd slot in at 3RW at the lowest too based on his production at each level.

Realistically I don't really expect either just based off the fact neither was at the Orientation camp in May, but anything can change before August.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022

Dervin slots in at 3C fairly well - and if Manza comes I feel pretty safe saying he'd slot in at 3RW at the lowest too based on his production at each level.

Realistically I don't really expect either just based off the fact neither was at the Orientation camp in May, but anything can change before August.
I agree. Big questions just hoping 1 of them comes as that would help a TON but it probably is unrealistic.

GoFronts

Sep 2, 2019

Dervin didn't come to Orientation Camp due to injury. Heard he came with his family for a visit some time after that though. Feel like that Dervin is still on the table if he's coming for visits.

• Wow

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013

Dervin is committed to Penn State, and I doubt that he will be looking at the NHL, so I think he is a not-on-your-life player. There really is no upside to him playing in the CHL. USHL or staying at St Andrew's is his best bet.

Manza is in the same boat as Devin, so you can forget about either one. Besides he was a 9th round pick and his numbers are good but not that good to be NHL quality so again there is no upside to playing here versus going NCAA and getting an education.

Hemstrom is in the same boat. He has not been picked up by any NHL/AHL teams so what is the sense of coming back here and playing for chump change with kids when he can play at home and make real bucks.

Face it, you have Uronen and Chromiak this year.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Whatever two quality OAs they end with post-deadline will help with the appearance of the lineup - but the depth is still really concerning.

I'm hoping Cooper is out there recruiting HARD for players from the '22 and '23 drafts to come - right now only 7 have played games between the two drafts and one has possibly walked away from hockey.

It would be really nice if the Fronts were able to slot in a '24 first round pick - but nope!
The problem is that by the deadline, the Fronts could be so far back that a couple of OAs are not going to help.

In order for the Fronts with the present lineup to be competitive, they have to be sickness and injury-free. Sounds easy until you remember a thing called the FLU that creeps into dressing rooms in November and December.

I think we can agree that Malhotra was a HUGE SCREW-UP. What would you give to have a player that was drafted in that position that showed up this year?

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
Dervin is committed to Penn State, and I doubt that he will be looking at the NHL, so I think he is a not-on-your-life player. There really is no upside to him playing in the CHL. USHL or staying at St Andrew's is his best bet.

Manza is in the same boat as Devin, so you can forget about either one. Besides he was a 9th round pick and his numbers are good but not that good to be NHL quality so again there is no upside to playing here versus going NCAA and getting an education.

Face it, you have Uronen and Chromiak this year.
I don't think it's worth putting a blanket statement on anything yet, commitments get broken all the time, granted - it's not exactly the Kingston's of the league that get players to break commitment, it's usually reserved for the London's or the Kitchener's - but it does happen and with the post about Dervin being in town but just unavailable due to injury I think there's a little room for optimism.

Manza was the Jr. A rookie of the year and posted a PPG - I'm not saying he's a locked and loaded future NHLer but I think he would've been an impact OHLer. He was 6th in the GTHL in goals in his draft year so I think there's a real chance he slid due to NCAA concerns. Realistically it's a moot point because I don't think he's coming but the fact he was at orientation camp last year is interesting.
The problem is that by the deadline, the Fronts could be so far back that a couple of OAs are not going to help.

In order for the Fronts with the present lineup to be competitive, they have to be sickness and injury-free. Sounds easy until you remember a thing called the FLU that creeps into dressing rooms in November and December.

I think we can agree that Malhotra was a HUGE SCREW-UP. What would you give to have a player that was drafted in that position that showed up this year?
I think if they're 5-6th at the deadline that's all they really need. As far as I'm concerned it's all about how you're playing at the time of year - Oshawa this year is a perfect example. Got hot and made it to the finals.

And yeah - Malhotra was a waste. Even if they intended on trading him, it's still a massive asset to throw away for nothing but a comp pick.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
I think if they're 5-6th at the deadline that's all they really need. As far as I'm concerned it's all about how you're playing at the time of year - Oshawa this year is a perfect example. Got hot and made it to the finals.
I agree, but they are going to have to stay away from the FLU and injury bugs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad