Kingston Frontenacs 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 3)

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
He'll probably make main camp but I'm guessing they'll send him back in time for the OHL season to start - he's still not even signed and they have 13 other already signed D, plus I'm guessing at least one or two NHL signings.
Yes he has to have a great camp and a great year to get signed otherwise I think he becomes a free agent

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Both Miedema and Burns will have prospect camp the long weekend in July to show themselves. Usually, at the camp, the scouts will tell them what to work on so they are ready for rookie camp.

Burns will have a lot of people to fight against including Mayich. I see neither getting a signed contract unless the either the Blues or Sabres decide that there is something they show at the rookie camp. Attitude and work ethic over the summer will decide how long they stay in camps. None of these 3, personally, I think will last more than a week at the main camp at best because there is little chance that they will make the main team or the AHL team.

The player that you may miss the longest is Pie as he is eligible for the AHL, and they may want to see how he does at that level.

Reactions: frontsfan67

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
The player that you may miss the longest is Pie as he is eligible for the AHL, and they may want to see how he does at that level.
Played 5 AHL games after the fronts playoffs and dropped 0’s across the board.

Then the AHL playoffs he didn’t even play a game.

Could be a Roman Schmidt/Josh Bloom situation with ludwinski. Play some games at the AHL and get sent back. I don’t think it happens but if he plays like he did in the short time he was there this year, it will.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Played 5 AHL games after the fronts playoffs and dropped 0’s across the board.

Then the AHL playoffs he didn’t even play a game.

Could be a Roman Schmidt/Josh Bloom situation with ludwinski. Play some games at the AHL and get sent back. I don’t think it happens but if he plays like he did in the short time he was there this year, it will.
Ludwinski is like Stonehouse; neither showed a heck of a lot towards going PRO. The difference with Ludwinski is that there is room for a growing AHL and ECHL team. They could decide to send them down to the ECHL to get some experience and then move up to the AHL. Of course, if he struggles in the E, then it would be a quick trip back to the O. The question then is, what do you do with them?

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
I highly doubt a signed second rounder will be back - with their current OA situation I have no problems with them keeping him around but the second someone becomes available they should jump on it and not hold hope for Ludwinski.

As far as I'm concerned the 5 pointless games mean absolutely nothing - he's joining a totally new team, in a totally new city and country, playing against men for the first time in his career - that's a LOT of change for a 20 year old kid that just finished a season - I don't expect many players to light it up after that.

If Ludwinski has an NHL career he likely tops out as a solid 2-way 3C, maybe putting up 15g/25a per year - so the points likely won't be the main thing Chicago looks at

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Ludwinski is like Stonehouse; neither showed a heck of a lot towards going PRO. The difference with Ludwinski is that there is room for a growing AHL and ECHL team. They could decide to send them down to the ECHL to get some experience and then move up to the AHL. Of course, if he struggles in the E, then it would be a quick trip back to the O. The question then is, what do you do with them?
2 teams in different modes. Kingston is a buyer, Ottawa is a seller this year. May not be a full scale seller but conservative.

I say both teams hold onto their rights until they can’t. If ludwinski comes back to that’s great for Kingston- you don’t need to buy any OA centre. And if stonehouse comes back for Ottawa that’s great, they can ship him somewhere as one of the better OA’s

Reactions: beastintheeast

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
I highly doubt a signed second rounder will be back - with their current OA situation I have no problems with them keeping him around but the second someone becomes available they should jump on it and not hold hope for Ludwinski.

As far as I'm concerned the 5 pointless games mean absolutely nothing - he's joining a totally new team, in a totally new city and country, playing against men for the first time in his career - that's a LOT of change for a 20 year old kid that just finished a season - I don't expect many players to light it up after that.

If Ludwinski has an NHL career he likely tops out as a solid 2-way 3C, maybe putting up 15g/25a per year - so the points likely won't be the main thing Chicago looks at
Never should’ve been a second rounder to begin with. Got extra attention because of wrights draft year. Had below a ppg and played 3rd line all year then. Covid year before messed up some teams

Although I agree with your point about a different team etc. look at the rest of the guys in the O that played a few games for their own drafted ahl teams. Don’t think anyone did as bad as ludwinski.

Hope I’m wrong about ludwinski for his sake as he is a great kid and I hope it works out but he needs lots of improvement to be an ahl regular. If he plays echl he may as well be sent back here.

Last edited:

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Never should’ve been a second rounder to begin with. Got extra attention because of wrights draft year. Had below a ppg and played 3rd line all year then. Covid year before messed up some teams.

Although I agree with your point about a different team etc. look at the rest of the guys in the O that played a few games for their own drafted ahl teams. Don’t think anyone did as bad as ludwinski.

Hope I’m wrong about ludwinski for his sake as he is a great kid and I hope it works out but he needs lots of improvement to be an ahl regular. If he plays echl he may as well be sent back here.
There's a possibility of Ludwinski making the AHL team, or he could be sent to the ECHL to acclimate to the size and strength, and then potentially brought back to the AHL team. It's a path that could lead to his growth and success.

I won't get into the did he deserve to be picked then as we have all seen guys that should not have been drafted or drafted as high as they were that were useless or disappointments in the pro's

tjziel

Nov 20, 2012
London
Any chance Paul Ludwinski comes back for an OA year? Or do you think he’s good enough to play in the ECHL?

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Any chance Paul Ludwinski comes back for an OA year? Or do you think he’s good enough to play in the ECHL?
Ludwinski will either play in the AHL, be sent to develop for a few games in the ECHL or be sent back. He is probably more likely to be sent for development in the ECHL and then decide if he has the ability for the AHL or should be sent back to Kingston.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Off topic but really wonder how the fronts handle Gabriel Schmidt.

6’2 but 163. Can put some weight on obviously but is a late birthday, Roman’s brother and put up 19 pts in 34 games for the OHL cup champion. Have a feeling he will be pretty good. If they’re keeping any 16 year old D man on the team you’d have to think they go with him. Might have to play OJHL or GOJHL for a year but still will have 2 after that for his NHL draft. And if he sprouts up and puts the lbs on like Roman this kid will be a force on our team for years.

How many 16 year olds can they sign? I forget. Or can they sign whoever but only 4 can play? And 3 at a time or something like that?

Reactions: Section5Petes

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

6’2 but 163. Can put some weight on obviously but is a late birthday, Roman’s brother and put up 19 pts in 34 games for the OHL cup champion. Have a feeling he will be pretty good. If they’re keeping any 16 year old D man on the team you’d have to think they go with him. Might have to play OJHL or GOJHL for a year but still will have 2 after that for his NHL draft. And if he sprouts up and puts the lbs on like Roman this kid will be a force on our team for years.

How many 16 year olds can they sign? I forget. Or can they sign whoever but only 4 can play? And 3 at a time or something like that?
First two selections and any other two can be registered on full cards.
All other '24 picks signed can play up to 10 games. There are exemptions in place for emergency call-up and games played when the season of affiliate's team is finished.
As for true rookies allowed per game, I'm not sure there is one. I have not found a written rule, and Niagara played 7 at least once last season

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017

what makes you think that he is a quality ohl prospect? i think him going in the 10th is a statement on its own. he has a long way to go.

you can sign pretty much as many as you want, 4 can be on a cards and 4 can play at once.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
what makes you think that he is a quality ohl prospect? i think him going in the 10th is a statement on its own. he has a long way to go.

you can sign pretty much as many as you want, 4 can be on a cards and 4 can play at once.
Don’t think he’s a quality prospect but probably very raw. Could be a good player 2 years or 3 years down the road with the right coaching and development. Won’t be impact or anywhere near close to it this year.

Is there a chance he fell that far not based off his on ice abilities but with the chance that he goes the US route like Roman did originally out of the draft?(yes roman was way better, bigger etc at the same age)

Last edited:

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Don’t think he’s a quality prospect but probably very raw. Could be a good player 2 years or 3 years down the road with the right coaching and development. Won’t be impact or anywhere near close to it this year.

Is there a chance he fell that far not based off his on ice abilities but with the chance that he goes the US route like Roman did originally out of the draft?(yes roman was way better, bigger etc at the same age)
Schmidt is either a fringe player or a defensive D he is also a LD. Those things hurt him in the draft.

The upside is 6'2" , which means if he can get the coordination and up his game, he is a definite prospect. I will hold any thoughts about him until after The Junior leagues have had their camps and see where he ends up. Not sure if Kingston has any deals in the CCHL, but that might be a league for him to play or play with the Blades in Oakville for a year.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Schmidt is either a fringe player or a defensive D he is also a LD. Those things hurt him in the draft.

The upside is 6'2" , which means if he can get the coordination and up his game, he is a definite prospect. I will hold any thoughts about him until after The Junior leagues have had their camps and see where he ends up. Not sure if Kingston has any deals in the CCHL, but that might be a league for him to play or play with the Blades in Oakville for a year.
Exactly what I’m thinking.

Won’t make team this year but with him being so young who knows what that extra year before coming here could do for him.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
The hard times are going to be

17 - 27 October 6 games in 10 days only 1 at home
13-15 Dec last games before break going to have to take their per stuff on the road with them will have a hard time thining abut hockey
9-12 Jan The Northern swing
30 Jan 2 Feb Saginaw Blint Sarnia
6-9 March LDN NIAG Windsor

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017

no way, he was drafted based on his tools not anything else other then that. he has low hockey sense, he may make it for sure but hes not anything to write home about, like most 10th round picks. something there but a ton to work on left.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
London wil lose 6 players this year but Cowan will still be there along with an outstanding group of draftees. I don't see them at the top but they will damn sure be fighting for it

Niagara is returning an intact lineup that just needs a few tweeks

windsor is still building

also remember if they do not find a back up Kingston will have worn Vaccari down to nothing

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
Kingston's roster will likely have had a ton of turnover by the time they hit that London swing so there's no point in projecting anything. Theres still OA holes, the Pieniniemi question, the question of any trade requests/players not vibing with Mann, a question in net and the Malhotra question (I know we have an answer but this year is making me feeling delusional so why not).

I thought there'd be more trade action so far but I'm guessing it'll pick up by the end of this window (i think it's next Monday or Tuesday), and if not there'll be moves in August.

If the season started today this Kingston team is likely a 5-6 seed - way too early to be projecting a weekend sweep that includes London and Niagara (I think they'll take a big step)

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
They are potentially losing bonk, Dickinson, Cowan, George, Gazizov. They won’t have mccue, Simpson and probably have to run with willmore who is nowhere near simpsons level.

I think it’s a fair assessment to say that if these players aren’t back they’ll take a step back. they’ll still be a playoff team and probably top 4 in conference. Memorial cup? I don’t know if they’re going that far this coming season.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Kingston's roster will likely have had a ton of turnover by the time they hit that London swing so there's no point in projecting anything. Theres still OA holes, the Pieniniemi question, the question of any trade requests/players not vibing with Mann, a question in net and the Malhotra question (I know we have an answer but this year is making me feeling delusional so why not).
not really projecting more or less stating facts and the fact is Windsor and Niagara although they can probably still score some goals- they’re both very young and will be much better the season after. London is potentially going to be losing a lot of players at the top of their roster. Who that is? Time will tell.
I thought there'd be more trade action so far but I'm guessing it'll pick up by the end of this window (i think it's next Monday or Tuesday), and if not there'll be moves in August.
Sounds good! Thank you
If the season started today this Kingston team is likely a 5-6 seed - way too early to be projecting a weekend sweep that includes London and Niagara (I think they'll take a big step)
They’re going to obviously get 3 good OAs, they’ll be an older, more experienced and talented team, may get pieniniemi which will help their defence lots and I don’t think they’ll be done there

Far from a middle of the pack team. Only teams that could be better are Brantford with their picks and returning roster, Brampton with their returning roster and picks, Oshawa with their experience and returning roster.

Only 3 I see above them but I think the fronts if they make these moves will be battling out for first place among these 3 other teams. Then I think a big gap between 4 and 5

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad