Kingston Frontenacs 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Huge game tonight. Next 2 they likely lose against brantford and Kitchener. Gotta win atleast tonight.

Also for the week this matchup against brantford I believe is the second last one of the year. And this is the team we could be playing come playoff time so will be an interesting weekend.

Kitchener we beat them here but now we’re playing in their home barn which is a tough place to play. Hoping to go 3/3 but I’m gonna predict we win tonight and lose the next 2.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
They do try to do that in Ottawa now as well. We had a very bad incident and my wife was absolutely livid. She won’t go back because of it. It was really bad.

Now they have General Admission tickets as part of a promotion on the lower side. If you like to sit low on the ends, you are screwed. I’d be forced to sit high in the middle which is fine but I prefer Aisle seats and there were never any of those available when I originally had to move my seats. That kickstarted everything. It was a nightmare for around 3 seasons. Watching people continually be pushed out of their seats was maddening. Those people would never come back leaving them more reliant on the clown show ticket sales.

Post Jeff Hunt 67’s OSEG has been a joke. Their focus is on the RedBlacks. They use grade one marketing strategies. They ignore the people that actually fuel secondary sales. I’m the guy that spends thousands in the restaurants before/after games, buys other in game stuff etc. Guys like us are inconsequential to their marketing. They bitch and whine about having to alter the schedule to not adversely affect the restaurants on game days. Yet, it is guys like me that are the ones that frequent them. Do you think he families are going to those places before or after games? No. Yet, they whine about lack of synergy at Lansdowne BECAUSE they focus on the lowest common denominator ticket sale that doesn’t fuel any secondary sales. They are a rinky dink marketing group. Very poorly run. It is a good thing they have strong hockey operations. If their hockey ops were run like their marketing/sales group, they’d be battling the Ice Dogs.
Having inhabited TD placw ehen it was teh civic center and understanding things there as well as looking at the KROCK.

I will say tht both of themhave a lot to be desired. However, there is more good at the civic center.

Yeah, the kids are a pain in the assets. Riley from the start had to have a handler due to the kids and the inability or desire of the ushers to assist.

The kids majority of hockey team kids are more interested in playing with their friends than in the game.

Parents are there only because it is a team outing and they have to be there to a pay for the ticket and "chaperone".

AS to the local restaurants it is interesting and while I can understand that they may have a loss as most families eat before they go to the game or go to Rotten Ronnies they were aware before they signed the lease that this was in fact gong to be an issue.

As to the KROCK (I know the name has changed but has the buliding) The set up sucks. One of the things that I ejoyed was going around to meet other people and having talks at gboth arenas. The KROCK stopped that.

While the original purpose of the Civic Centre was a home for jr hockey the city then morphed it to other things and then just let it go to crap.

The same to a certain extent can be said forhte M Centre.

Now the new arenas are built for other events. They city and owners knew that neither team could fund the buildings Jr hockey is a necessary evil that they need to bring in a pay check but also because they are part of the property.

OSEG saw dollar signs in developing Lansdowne park but the down side was tht they needed to keep the arena and the football field in order to get the deal done with the city.

Kington got the deal because of all the supposed business that it would bring to downtown hotels and bars. LOL

Neiother really had anything to do with Junior hockey and I really think that if they could sell the teams and move them away without a lot of outside noise they probably would. IN BOTH CITIES

I think they’ll try and push for 6 but whenever that falls apart they’ll do just that. Except they need to lock up 7. If they play Sudbury/north bay in playoffs they might get swept. Need to play brantford/Ottawa/Oshawa for the best chance of winning
Naw I think you can be happy with 7th and get ready.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Having inhabited TD placw ehen it was teh civic center and understanding things there as well as looking at the KROCK.

I will say tht both of themhave a lot to be desired. However, there is more good at the civic center.

Yeah, the kids are a pain in the assets. Riley from the start had to have a handler due to the kids and the inability or desire of the ushers to assist.

The kids majority of hockey team kids are more interested in playing with their friends than in the game.

Parents are there only because it is a team outing and they have to be there to a pay for the ticket and "chaperone".

AS to the local restaurants it is interesting and while I can understand that they may have a loss as most families eat before they go to the game or go to Rotten Ronnies they were aware before they signed the lease that this was in fact gong to be an issue.

As to the KROCK (I know the name has changed but has the buliding) The set up sucks. One of the things that I ejoyed was going around to meet other people and having talks at gboth arenas. The KROCK stopped that.

While the original purpose of the Civic Centre was a home for jr hockey the city then morphed it to other things and then just let it go to crap.

The same to a certain extent can be said forhte M Centre.

Now the new arenas are built for other events. They city and owners knew that neither team could fund the buildings Jr hockey is a necessary evil that they need to bring in a pay check but also because they are part of the property.

OSEG saw dollar signs in developing Lansdowne park but the down side was tht they needed to keep the arena and the football field in order to get the deal done with the city.

Kington got the deal because of all the supposed business that it would bring to downtown hotels and bars. LOL

Neiother really had anything to do with Junior hockey and I really think that if they could sell the teams and move them away without a lot of outside noise they probably would. IN BOTH CITIES

The difference over the last ten years after they came back from the Canadian Tire Centre and pre-Lansdowne redevelopment is night and day. Totally different fan profile entirely. You cannot drawn any comparisons using experiences from pre-Lansdowne development and now.

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
That was the worst PP performance all year, I'm not sure if they managed a shot...

At this point I think I've seen enough of Dubois to say it was a waste of an OA spot. Awful giveaway that led directly to an Erie goal, a concerning lack of physicality for a guy of his size.

I really hope they haven't completely torqued Hopkins's development. The kid was the consensus 4th pick last year and he's floundering on the wing of the 4th line. There's been tons of games where he's shown more than other guys in the top 6 but he never gets a chance. I hope he gets an extended shot at taking the 2C spot next year and running with it.

Reactions: frontsfan67

PuckLucker

Feb 18, 2024
That was the worst PP performance all year, I'm not sure if they managed a shot...

At this point I think I've seen enough of Dubois to say it was a waste of an OA spot. Awful giveaway that led directly to an Erie goal, a concerning lack of physicality for a guy of his size.

I really hope they haven't completely torqued Hopkins's development. The kid was the consensus 4th pick last year and he's floundering on the wing of the 4th line. There's been tons of games where he's shown more than other guys in the top 6 but he never gets a chance. I hope he gets an extended shot at taking the 2C spot next year and running with it.

That's the disconnect.

Usually when your 1st round pick is placed on the 4th line, it means you have a very strong team in terms of depth and the minutes just aren't there for a rookie - development will have to come in practice with reduced minutes.
I don't feel that's the situation for Kingston, they have loads of talent but your coach doesn't know how to extract the value out of the players, other coaches wish they had a roster like the Fronts.

Here are the current point productions for the top 10 selections from the 2023 Selection:
1. Schaefer - 15 points (D-Man)
2. Roobroeck - 39 points
3. Martin - 22 Points
4. Hopkins - 8 points
5. Czata - 15 points
6. Griffin - 5 points
7. Ivankovic (Goalie)
8. O'Brien - 54 points
9. Taylor - 5 points (Inactive)
10. Reid - 21 points (D-Man)

Reactions: three dog night

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
That's the disconnect.

Usually when your 1st round pick is placed on the 4th line, it means you have a very strong team in terms of depth and the minutes just aren't there for a rookie - development will have to come in practice with reduced minutes.
I don't feel that's the situation for Kingston, they have loads of talent but your coach doesn't know how to extract the value out of the players, other coaches wish they had a roster like the Fronts.

Here are the current point productions for the top 10 selections from the 2023 Selection:
1. Schaefer - 15 points (D-Man)
2. Roobroeck - 39 points
3. Martin - 22 Points
4. Hopkins - 8 points
5. Czata - 15 points
6. Griffin - 5 points
7. Ivankovic (Goalie)
8. O'Brien - 54 points
9. Taylor - 5 points (Inactive)
10. Reid - 21 points (D-Man)
When comparing points- how many of those guys are playing top 6-top 9 minutes or for a d- top 2-top 4. Hopkins plays top 12 and has been like that pretty much since Mann took over. I don’t think Mann is the best at developing players clearly as Hopkins hasn’t progressed much at all. He needs to work on his finishing and he has had lots of grade A opportunities but when you compare him with the rest of the bunch it makes you really think what the hell were they thinking, or what the hell is mann doing putting a top 4 guy on the 4th line the whole year. That’s what they did with guys like Mitchell brooks for years and spoiler-he didn’t get ANY better. When you’re drafted 4th overall you’re expected to be a decent piece to the team and show lots of promise and potential. He’s shown potential but I don’t know if that will be unlocked with him playing 4th line minutes. Personally I wouldn’t be surprised if he asked for a trade.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Also^ Hopkins draft stock is probably really low right now.

If he only puts up a 30-40pts next year (assuming he gets 2/3C mins) that doesn’t even guarantee he gets drafted.

If this happens where he is passed over after being this really good prospect (like Matthew Soto) I doubt any player will want to play for kingston

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Also^ Hopkins draft stock is probably really low right now.

If he only puts up a 30-40pts next year (assuming he gets 2/3C mins) that doesn’t even guarantee he gets drafted.

If this happens where he is passed over after being this really good prospect (like Matthew Soto) I doubt any player will want to play for kingston
Part of the issue may be that he has the worst monus record on the team.

Also you have Ludwinski Dubois and Frasca so hopkis is left to develop as a rookie on the 4th line.

as much as you complain Dubois has 16 points in 21 games as a front and id plus 3. Not too shabby

He is also leading the team in faceoffs won.

Last edited:

ktownfan

Apr 28, 2022

Also you have Ludwinski Dubois and Frasca so hopkis is left to develop as a rookie on the 4th line.

as much as you complain Dubois has 16 points in 21 games as a front and id plus 3. Not too shabby

And I believfe leading in number of players who wonder why we traded for him
That was a win that we needed badly last night, but we will try again

Handcuffhockey

Nov 12, 2022
Don’t think I agree with the Hopkins opinions. For most of the first half of the season he was given opportunities to experience time on every line and he played meaningful minutes. It’s not the end of the world that he hasn’t produced big numbers in his first year. Believe me there would be even more pressure on this kid if they left him high in the line-up and he struggled to produce.
Several of you would be lynching him. He’s not the same player as Brooks. Brooks was drafted in the Covid year, where there wasn’t any games, good kid, decent player but not a 2nd round pick.

I do think the fourth line deserves more time in play, many nights in my opinion they play better than at least two other lines. Last night I thought they were one of our best lines, unfortunately for Hopkins he gets caught waiting for shifts sometimes with special teams taking on more ice.

This year means nothing for him except experience, put him in lots of situations which Kingston is doing, he’s played PP, PK, 1ST, 2ND, 3RD and 4th line, center and wing this year. My bet is he comes into next year way more confident.

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023
Rookies rarely get top 6 minutes their first season in the O and have to earn their minutes.
Next season you will see his minutes shoot up like Thibodeaus did.
I think this season is more about working on him to get him bigger, faster, stronger and comfortable in the league as they are giving up to many goals when he is on the ice.

PuckLucker

Feb 18, 2024

#63 is getting 2nd line minutes and some special teams play as well, he should be producing. I'd even say he's had the most shots on net since becoming a Front

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022

I am not complaining about Dubois he had a rocky first couple of games as expected and since he’s been one of the best on the team.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Hopkins beautiful pass to miedema.
Finally he is given players other than Poole and Heyes and he produces right away.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Hopkins with a beautiful shift almost scoring a goal and playing well defensively on the last shift of the second period. Kid has potential just Mann needs to use him more like he has this game.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Should’ve had a different outcome. Kingston dominated possession in OT but happy to pick up the pt vs Kitchener

Salajko with maybe his best game of the season. Ludwinski was flying all over today too

Reactions: bobber

GoFronts

Sep 2, 2019
The best game of the season for both Hopkins and Salajko in my opinion. I was skeptical seeing Hopkins still on the 4th line after the lineup changes today but it was far and away his best game of the year. He was everywhere and had that great assist on the opening goal. Hopefully this kickstarts something for him.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
I think hopkins and Salajko are going toget a lot more ice time as the season ends. Kingston's only hope in the playoffs is a healthy and rested Vaccari and first and second line.

7th or 8th is not gong to make a big diference this year.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Hey here is a funny I went to the mall yesterday and one shop was selling North American Jerseys.

They had a few of them that had the actual official tag and also the fight strap. The interesting thing was the Canadiens Jersey was Galenychuk they also had a Coyotes jersy with CROUSE and his number ont eh back.

Reactions: ottsabrefan

ktownfan

Apr 28, 2022
I agree with some of us here. Good game for JJ and Hopkins. But we need some points, Not sure we are gearing up for a series win. But let's hope

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
Missed a handful of the game yesterday but from what I saw it was hands down Salajko's best game.

Barrie needs to likely gain 7 points (I assume ROW is first tie-breaker - not 100% sure on that). I like Barrie's schedule a little more than Kingston's, plus they've got a whopping 4 games in hand.

Kingston's remaining games:
Saginaw
Flint
Sarnia
Peterborough x2
North Bay
Ottawa
Brantford

Barrie's remaining games:
Peterborough x2
Mississauga
North Bay x2
Oshawa
Ottawa x2
Sudbury x2
Niagara

Kingston has 2 should-win's in Peterborough, maybe another against Sarnia, and then they've been unreal against Ottawa this year so that could be another win - the other 4 games will be tough.

Barrie has 3 should-win's in Peterborough x2 and Niagara. Looks like Barrie's had Mississauga's number this year (4-1), as well as being 3-1 against NB.

I didn't look at when the games were so I'm not sure if they're pre or post-deadline, but if Kingston handles their business and gets 6-7 points through the end of the year, they should lock in that 7th spot.

ottsabrefan

May 19, 2011
Ottawa
Missed a handful of the game yesterday but from what I saw it was hands down Salajko's best game.

Barrie needs to likely gain 7 points (I assume ROW is first tie-breaker - not 100% sure on that). I like Barrie's schedule a little more than Kingston's, plus they've got a whopping 4 games in hand.

Kingston's remaining games:
Saginaw
Flint
Sarnia
Peterborough x2
North Bay
Ottawa
Brantford

Barrie's remaining games:
Peterborough x2
Mississauga
North Bay x2
Oshawa
Ottawa x2
Sudbury x2
Niagara

Kingston has 2 should-win's in Peterborough, maybe another against Sarnia, and then they've been unreal against Ottawa this year so that could be another win - the other 4 games will be tough.

Barrie has 3 should-win's in Peterborough x2 and Niagara. Looks like Barrie's had Mississauga's number this year (4-1), as well as being 3-1 against NB.

I didn't look at when the games were so I'm not sure if they're pre or post-deadline, but if Kingston handles their business and gets 6-7 points through the end of the year, they should lock in that 7th spot.
I think it is highly unlikely Barrie catches Kingston. They aren’t a great team and might not even get the 7 points over the rest of the season let alone any additional points the Fronts pick up.

That being said, I agree with Beast (that is a scary feeling!). Does it really matter if they did? They need to make sure they are healthy and fresh and finishing 8th may actually give them a better matchup (Bulldogs instead of Wolves).

Reactions: OMG67
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad