GDT: Kings vs Jackets | 6pm | Game 27

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
- he played in the NHL last year which means can't be sent down anymore
- there are other young 1st rounders playing on the team, if they're with the team he has to be too
- he's a son of former Blue Jacket
- he has a celebrity gf
- he doesn't have any issues with skating, it's just a mysterious, unexplainable "sophomore slump"

What is so difficult for you to understand here? :sarcasm:
He also had skating problems last year, but played better. That's why I think it's the 2nd season syndrome. I expect him to work on his skating this summer.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
He also had skating problems last year, but played better. That's why I think it's the 2nd season syndrome. I expect him to work on his skating this summer.

It isn't going to get fixed in a few months. He needs full year skating training which you can only do in the AHL.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I don't know what's next, but Patrik Laine is 6-6-3-9 after his second injury. Johnny Gaudreau, for example, is 6 - 2 - 7 - 9. It's enough optimist for us. But his real qualities will show games against Florida, Tampa and Boston.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
- he played in the NHL last year which means can't be sent down anymore
- there are other young 1st rounders playing on the team, if they're with the team he has to be too
- he's a son of former Blue Jacket
- he has a celebrity gf
- he doesn't have any issues with skating, it's just a mysterious, unexplainable "sophomore slump"

What is so difficult for you to understand here? :sarcasm:
Maybe I'm just old or not Canadian but I think "celebrity" should be a loose term here.

I have zero idea who she is.

LJ7

#80 #13
Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
Chinakhov played like the exact player Roslovic and Laine need as a linemate, which is a huge compliment to him and a mild surprise to me. Johnson played so well that we had 4 at least somewhat threatening scoring lines, the 4th line threatened to score a few greasy ones. Fun game to attend !

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Chinakhov played like the exact player Roslovic and Laine need as a linemate, which is a huge compliment to him and a mild surprise to me. Johnson played so well that we had 4 at least somewhat threatening scoring lines, the 4th line threatened to score a few greasy ones. Fun game to attend !
I'm often saying it. Yes, he doesn't so good stats like Jack and Patrik but without his ideal play that line would have so good. So I hope Lars won't make changes, for example Gaudreau or, especially, Nyquist for Yegor.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Celebrity should not be a loose term. She is one
That might be your opinion but if I have no idea who you are and couldn't pick you out of a crowd if you were standing right in front of me, you aren't a celebrity to me.

I probably have people I consider to be a celebrity in my world that you probably have no idea who they are.

"Celebrity" is a relative term IMO.

Reactions: NotTooWideArena

Vapaatunnus

Feb 2, 2021
I don't know what's next, but Patrik Laine is 6-6-3-9 after his second injury. Johnny Gaudreau, for example, is 6 - 2 - 7 - 9. It's enough optimist for us. But his real qualities will show games against Florida, Tampa and Boston.
Yes.

1670828476083.png

LJ7

#80 #13
Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
That might be your opinion but if I have no idea who you are and couldn't pick you out of a crowd if you were standing right in front of me, you aren't a celebrity to me.

I probably have people I consider to be a celebrity in my world that you probably have no idea who they are.

"Celebrity" is a relative term IMO.
There's plenty of celebrities that aren't on my radar, they're still celebrities :laugh:

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
What a Bluejacket type of loss for the Kings
I am shocked they called it good goal.
WTH was McLellan arguing about?

Probably arguing because Gaudreau knocked the puck in the net with his glove.

Really shouldn’t have counted. I know they allow some questionable shit nowadays and it’s not really consistent, but, I’m pretty sure the rule wording is that you cannot “direct” the puck into the net with anything other than your stick.

Sure, they allow “deflections” of skates, and MANY nowadays are pretty clearly directed towards the net and shouldn’t count IMO.

From one of the top angles above the net you could see Gaudreau pretty clearly “punch” the puck with his right hand/glove. I’m fairly certain the LA player has to have possession/control with the puck and the way it went in shouldn’t have mattered after Gaudreau hit it with his glove like that.

I’m interested in the explanation the refs/“Toronto” gave them, I’d be pissed if it went against the CBJ.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
What is the team GF/GA in this same stretch??

Goal scoring is WAY up in the league, it’s time some people look at more than just how many points guys are putting up, and also stop comparing it to past norms.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
5:5 podľa riadkov (nielen času):

Boone Jenner - 17:58
Johnny Gaudreau - 17:46
Gustáv Nyquist - 16:52
----
Patrik Laine - 17:07
Yegor Chinakhov - 16:45
Jack Roslovic - 15:31
----
Cole Sillinger – 10:58
Kent Johnson – 10:56
Kirill Marčenko - 10:53
---
Sean Kuraly - 9:08
Mathieu Olivier - 9:00
Eric Robinson - 8:07

Chcem upozorniť, že čas 5:5 bol ovplyvnený hrou PP/PK.
What is the team GF/GA in this same stretch??

Goal scoring is WAY up in the league, it’s time some people look at more than just how many points guys are putting up, and also stop comparing it to past norms.
Thesr stats from open sources don't interested me.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
He's certainly not solving anything with this form, he'd never have made the NHL playing with this technique. We have to just hope he can get back in form where he isn't overreacting all the time.
Nothing has changed. Besides the “results”.

“Technically”, he’s the same exact goalie. Exactly why I was SO ADAMANT about everything I have said about him, “hfboard perception” is 1-2 years behind reality on 75% of things.

He’s gotten literally lucky with some shutouts and people went crazy. He’s the same goalie he was then. Even with the shutouts his numbers and record were never good. The contract given to him is 1 of the worst in the league, for goalies, at the very least.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Well, I figured I would make an appearance as I took my nephew to the game last night. I'm certainly not going to let the tickets go to waste and I couldn't give those away. Overall, the game was entertaining.

Elvis - Anchor! He needs his head fixed and his technique continues to be terrible. He overplays the puck and the shooter too often. He's clearly athletic and has a skill set that if he could quiet his movement might make him a top 10 goalie. Unfortunately until the movement changes he's going to continue to give up goals that are what I consider soft. Best example was the 3rd goal last night... Overplayed the post and went past allowing the shooter a wide open look far post. I get that he was left out to dry on several occasions and he make several good saves but he is too erratic for me to be a #1 in the NHL. I believe it was also the 4th goal that ended up being a poor rebound (straight up and not directed wide) that dropped right to the feet of the Kings forward. This contract is going to be a challenge if they can't get him to simplify his movements

Gudbranson - Whipping boy due to the unfortunate contract. I think he's simply playing too many minutes right now. puck is a hand grenade for this guy and his distribution seems like Savard (either into feet or out of reach). Several times last night the decisions with the puck were brutal. Some of that may be playing with yet another partner, yet another career AHL guy (Berni), but his game hasn't seemed to change regardless of partner. Turns the puck over too much for me and that's likely because he's on the ice too much.

Chinakhov - I still love this kid. I think he has a good motor and the most under rated thing for him is his back check and play on transition recovery. He seems confident and I don't know who (experts) knocked his skating but he's pretty dynamic. I don't see a top line guy but I like him playing with Roslovic and Laine at the moment. He needs to use his shot more but he's alreayd on a 40 pt pace and I could see him as a 50 point guy with 25 goals as time moves on. Really like his two way game. I think he could replace Nyquist with his style (only he has more speed than Gus and a better shot, just not as cerebral).

Gaudreau - You can see the offense but he still seems a little lazy to me and careless (like much of the team) with the puck. He tries to make things happen and at times to the detriment. I think that's what you have to accept with a player his caliber but I'm hopeful the line change will do him some good overall. Wasn't really impressed with him last night and yet he still ends up with 3 points...

Roslovic - As many of you know I've been a Jack fan and hoping for him to find some consistency to show he can be part of the solution. He looked great last night and I thought he earned his points and ice time. Unfortunately, that's the first game this year I've seen a complete game from him. He's been better the last 2 nights (Calgary and LAK) but I'm resigned to think it's time to move on from him. I saw someone joke (?) "sell high" but I do think I would consider that and move KJ to center. If they aren't going to move Jack to wing, I think I'm ok with simply moving Jack. Sad as that makes me. Good young man

Laine - Keep him in a shooting position and punish him for carrying the puck. He's an amazing talent that doesn't need much room to shoot and can let it go from anywhere at any angle. Showed it again last night. I think his overall game was fine but he needs to either trust those around him more or buy into the team concept (whatever that is this year). He continues to turnover the puck, and usually at terrible times in terrible positions (ie. across the blue line or in our own zone). I think maybe he's simply trying to make a play because the team around him is very subpar at the moment but I also think others would say this is not atypical in his play. Was evident again last night.

Johnson - This kid has skill and vision like no other on the team. His skating was better than I expected and he seems willing to compete. You can see the wheels are still turning when it comes to defensive play and transition but he's going to be special. I like him with Marchenko (or even with Chinakhov if they get the chance again). I don't think you would be doing him a disservice by putting him at Center at this point. If not here, send him to Cleveland.

Sillinger - The invisible boy. He's not showing anything like last year. I agree with those that think he's lost a step. Maybe that's overthinking but he's not really a good NHL player right now. Was OK but I can't tell you one play he made last night that I noticed him... in any zone.

Defensive Zone - I'm not going to single anyone out and I do know we are playing a defensive 6 that really only have 2 players that belong in a top 6 (Peeke - bottom pair guy, Gavrikov - 2nd pair guy), however, our overall play in our own zone continues to be absolutely brutal. The turnovers and decisions are so egregious and it clearly impacts our goaltending. Couple that with inconsistent play from Elvis and it's no wonder we're going to break our goals against record. Goner for Connor isn't going to change that aspect. I can't say it's the game and the current team either because this wasn't any different the first few weeks with a full team.

That's all for now. I may stop in a few threads. I miss you all and the discussion but this team still has me pissed and extremely disappointed. I do have tickets and more than happy to offer to anyone if they are available. My time with this team will be limited to reading and catching highlights. I've become ambivalent, which is the worst thing to be as a fan. I want to care but the thought of talking about the future has crushed my spirit - every year it's become wait until next year or the next crop and I've just finally grown tired of that thought. Enjoy the holidays

LJ7

#80 #13
Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
Chinakhov - I still love this kid. I think he has a good motor and the most under rated thing for him is his back check and play on transition recovery. He seems confident and I don't know who (experts) knocked his skating but he's pretty dynamic. I don't see a top line guy but I like him playing with Roslovic and Laine at the moment. He needs to use his shot more but he's alreayd on a 40 pt pace and I could see him as a 50 point guy with 25 goals as time moves on. Really like his two way game. I think he could replace Nyquist with his style (only he has more speed than Gus and a better shot, just not as cerebral).
I think his skating has just improved, he also got a lot stronger which helps. Both of those facts are really encouraging along with his far more well rounded game he's brought this year. He's borderline exceeding my most optimistic vision for how he'd look this year.
Johnson - This kid has skill and vision like no other on the team. His skating was better than I expected and he seems willing to compete. You can see the wheels are still turning when it comes to defensive play and transition but he's going to be special. I like him with Marchenko (or even with Chinakhov if they get the chance again). I don't think you would be doing him a disservice by putting him at Center at this point. If not here, send him to Cleveland.
I just get higher and higher on him the more I watch. What a player. I will say I do prefer him at wing in the NHL over center in Cleveland. He's NHL ready.

I was there too, and left the arena encouraged despite the messy moments. Future mainstays of the team played great.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
It isn't going to get fixed in a few months. He needs full year skating training which you can only do in the AHL.
jason robertson had similar skating issue and basically just dedicated one offseason to only working on that and turned into a 40 goal scorer pretty much overnight.

i get that sillinger is in a slump but i don't think he's playing poorly. he still has a high compete level and an active stick. roslovic was similarly struggling until he got put with laine. sillinger hasn't been afforded similar opportunities.

Reactions: VT and CBJx614

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
jason robertson had similar skating issue and basically just dedicated one offseason to only working on that and turned into a 40 goal scorer pretty much overnight.

i get that sillinger is in a slump but i don't think he's playing poorly. he still has a high compete level and an active stick. roslovic was similarly struggling until he got put with laine. sillinger hasn't been afforded similar opportunities.

He does some things well but the sum results with Sillinger are poor. Stuck in his own end a lot. Doesn't have the wheels to possess the puck or to forecheck effectively. It's not about opportunity. He's had plenty.

It upsets me that we have so many prospects in skating training every week and Sillinger isn't one of them.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016

He didn't play that much better last season. He was just really promising as a 18-year-old. Like "wow, when he improves his skating and other areas, he might be decent 2C, even 1C if he improves a lot". But instead of improving, he didn't. Unlike Johnson, Chinakov who improved a mile.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
He didn't play that much better last season. He was just really promising as a 18-year-old. Like "wow, when he improves his skating and other areas, he might be decent 2C, even 1C if he improves a lot". But instead of improving, he didn't. Unlike Johnson, Chinakov who improved a mile.
Last year he played with veteran playmakers (Domi, Voracek) a LOT. This year he's not.

In other words, they're putting more on his plate (carry linemates) while also shrinking his ice time and taking him off of PP2. That's a big adjustment and a recipe for a sophomore slump, it's not necessarily evidence that he hasn't improved as a player. He's having fewer opportunities to succeed.

Ryan Johansen had similar regression from his rookie season to his second (and that was his D+3 whereas Sillinger is in his D+2) while playing more minutes a night before breaking out and becoming a 60 point player in his third year.

He had insane expectations coming into this year. Part of his growth as a player will come from how he navigates not meeting those. His development this year is more nuanced than the statline, especially given the changes in linemates/deployment.

Progress isn't linear. It's frustrating to watch this prolonged slump, but I still 100% buy him as an eventual all-situations top six forward who plays at that level for a decade.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Next three games: Florida, Tampa, Boston, all road games, likely no points to be expected
We watching the same Florida team that has lost three of their last four, has a -14 goal differential on the season and is 6th in their division in points percentage? I am sure their fans...all ten of them...are disappointed by now they fired interim Andrew Brunette to bring in re-tread Paul Maurice. WTH were they thinking?

KCbus

Someday, we’ll have an NHL team.
Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
Probably arguing because Gaudreau knocked the puck in the net with his glove.

Really shouldn’t have counted. I know they allow some questionable shit nowadays and it’s not really consistent, but, I’m pretty sure the rule wording is that you cannot “direct” the puck into the net with anything other than your stick.

Sure, they allow “deflections” of skates, and MANY nowadays are pretty clearly directed towards the net and shouldn’t count IMO.

From one of the top angles above the net you could see Gaudreau pretty clearly “punch” the puck with his right hand/glove. I’m fairly certain the LA player has to have possession/control with the puck and the way it went in shouldn’t have mattered after Gaudreau hit it with his glove like that.

I’m interested in the explanation the refs/“Toronto” gave them, I’d be pissed if it went against the CBJ.
The official ruling from the war room was that the defender put the puck into his own net.

That seemed sketchy to me.

Gaudreau knocked the puck towards the net with his glove. While it was in the air, the defenseman waved at it, got a small piece of it, and then accidentally backhanded it in while trying to recoil and take another swing. If I wrote the rulebook, that would not be a goal. If the defenseman had never touched it at all, it still goes in, and it doesn't count. It seems unfair to punish him for trying to make a play.

Plus, if there had been a delayed penalty on L.A. on the play, and that little touch in mid-air was deemed enough to stop play, I'd have been furious. So to say it's enough to deem the d-man responsible for the puck going in seems unfair as well. Yeah, I know it's dicey to try to use the logic of one rule and apply it to another, but that's where my head went.

Reactions: Doggy and thebus88

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad