Rumor: Kings rebranding with a new logo?

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
before i opened this thread i opened the email and that was my first thought too, like they used the normal size stripe on a children's size jersey

looks goofy as f***
The stripes and the logo look cartoonishly large and the C and A are sloppily next to the logo. It looks like someone slapped that design together in 7 minutes.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
I like the look but the logo and stripes look too big for some reason.

Love, love, love the black helmets!
i do like the helmets though, yeah. hope someone finishes off the look with black blade holders, really get some gretzky nostalgia going

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
They're an improvement IMO.

But the logo is too big and looks cheap for some reason.

Sucks having corporate sponsors on jerseys nowadays.

If they gave us the forum blue and gold as a third I would be happy.

Reactions: Telos

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
They’ve sort of worn these as alternates over the years and that takes the luster off the rebrand, imo.
Exactly. Kopitar and Doughty have worn practically every jersey LA has had before over time just on heritage/retro nights. It just feels flat as far as a rebrand goes. It is just an acceptable change because chrome domes were stupid and the home plate was not a very well-liked rebrand. We just tolerated and ignored it because we immediately won and who cares after that :P

I am happy with the chevy logo overall, the changes to it get a shrug from me. It is the team I remember the most from my childhood as I was very young when they were in purple and gold - I can only remember like 2-3 live games watching them before the Gretzky era. Would have been nice to use our unique colors rather than black and white, but it is iconic Kings and it is clear that all leadership in the organization wanted "the Gretzky era" to return so there is no use fighting it.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
i kinda like the orange lids on those ducks sets, kinda gives me syracuse football vibes

the away whites are probably the sharper of the two honestly. hard to say through those mega-saturated photos though

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
I mean, I actually like them going back to the original logo, but that is definitely an iffy color scheme and doesn't scream Ducks. It gives me ugly Flyers vibes and seems a little too forced on the "Orange County" aspect if that's what they are going for and I don't know if their fanbase really cares about that at all :P

They are sort of in the same boat as us in that there is large demand for their unique color scheme and they are unwilling to go back to it. Of course, if they went back to it with that logo they might as well just bring back their original branding. Tough call, sucks all around, lol.

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
For logo placement reference:

waynegretzkylakingsadidaslegendsfront3_1500x.jpg

RobitailleFrontJersey.jpg

The new uni's logo is too far down (since it's over sized).

Feel like this should have been caught in the design process.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
These are fine, if unexciting. The matt helmet is great but they really need a Forum Blue option. I find the resistance to the Forum Blue Jerseys odd personally.

However we are ‘marks’ we are not casual fans, nor are we non-hockey people that’ll buy merch just because it looks good. I’ve even come across people in the UK wearing Kings gear (beanie and scarf) that assumed they were a basketball team. So it’s possible the marketing data shows they would sell more Black and White rather than Forum Blue. Perhaps @All The Kings Men you could ask a question along those lines as to why we are sticking with Black and White. I’m just speculating as to why they won’t go to the Forum Blue when the vast majority of fans here want it. So if you get to interview the right person at some stage, I’d be interested in the answer.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I think those Ducks uniforms are pretty cool. I like the road white version. But a little too much orange overall IMO.

Their originals are still way better, but I guess they don't want to be associated with the Disney era.

I don't mind the orange for Orange county thing. I always appreciate when teams try and tie in their name/branding to something local.

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
I’ve even come across people in the UK wearing Kings gear (beanie and scarf) that assumed they were a basketball team. So it’s possible the marketing data shows they would sell more Black and White rather than Forum Blue.
Yea the Kings are not all that well known as far as the logo/branding goes. I wear an old Chevy logo Kings trucker hat daily and people think Im a redneck that loves Chevy trucks. When Im in the south it goes over well but not so much at parties in West Hollywood.

Reactions: Statto

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
I mean, I actually like them going back to the original logo, but that is definitely an iffy color scheme and doesn't scream Ducks. It gives me ugly Flyers vibes and seems a little too forced on the "Orange County" aspect if that's what they are going for and I don't know if their fanbase really cares about that at all :P
I was wondering why I kind of liked them, and that's totally it. Strong Flyers feel to the orange one.
It's at least different from the Flyers in the rest of the kit. I really like the orange pants with the white jerseys though.

Jun 30, 2006
Exactly. Kopitar and Doughty have worn practically every jersey LA has had before over time just on heritage/retro nights. It just feels flat as far as a rebrand goes. It is just an acceptable change because chrome domes were stupid and the home plate was not a very well-liked rebrand. We just tolerated and ignored it because we immediately won and who cares after that :P

I am happy with the chevy logo overall, the changes to it get a shrug from me. It is the team I remember the most from my childhood as I was very young when they were in purple and gold - I can only remember like 2-3 live games watching them before the Gretzky era. Would have been nice to use our unique colors rather than black and white, but it is iconic Kings and it is clear that all leadership in the organization wanted "the Gretzky era" to return so there is no use fighting it.
It would have been better if they incorporated another color like Purple, a royal color. The original AEG Kings jersey rebrand was pretty good. Good colors, ok logo, Los Angeles on the bottom of the jersey.

But again, a lot of colors mean an increase in cost. That’s why a lot of these rebrands are just 2-3 colors on them. Corporate brands suck for this reason, zero creativity.

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
I always felt like the Black and Silver was a product of the times and it worked really well... back in the 90s. But now? I mean you see teams doing all this cool stuff now.

The Panthers rebrand a few years ago took the team from a terribly 90s jersey and logo and updated to a super clean, fresh new logo that kept the best elements of the old design. Same with this Ducks rebrand, keeps the new colors, but ditches the terrible Duck foot logo.

Then there's the Kings Who went from a subtle homage to the old Chevy logo, to the actual Chevy logo. Meh, is about as positive as I can be. It's just nothing new, nothing creative at all. About as low effort as they could've done.

Reactions: Chazz Reinhold

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
As someone who was pretty neutral on going back to the Chevy logo, I have major issues with these sweaters.
1) The logo is comically large, and too low
2) The silver on the logo is too shiny
3) The trim on the bottom is way too large
4) The spacing between the logo and C/A looks strange
5) I hate the "glittery" stripes

What I like:
1) The matte black helmets are great

The Ducks did a lot right, but man that's just too much orange (and the font/numbering on the back is really bad)

Last edited:

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
As someone who was pretty neutral on going back to the Chevy logo, I have major issues with these sweaters.
1) The logo is comically large, and too low
2) The silver on the logo is too shiny
3) The trim on the bottom is way too large
4) The spacing between the logo and C/A looks strange
5) I hate the "glittery" stripes

What I like:
1) The matte black helmets are great

The Ducks did a lot right, but man that's just too much orange (and the font/numbering on the back is really bad)
Yep, it feels like every single element they changed from the Gretzky era jerseys is worse than it was before.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad