Kings Prospect #5

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
This list is being voted on using the Hockey's Future criteria for determining a prospect found here:

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/whatmakesaprospect/

None of Campbell, Cliché, or Bodnarchuk, meet the above criteria and shouldn't be considered for this list.

I hate that criteria. This isn't an official HF list, it's a fans list, so if we as fans want someone added a prospect such as Campbell, why not? To me there's more reason to hold Toffoli off than Campbell. We all know that he's 99% locked into a roster spot and likely will not see AHL action again in his life.

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
More Scuds than Mitchie. Willie showed surprisingly decent offense in our Cup year and a hell of a shot actually. Kevin won't have that going for him. But I do like using Scuds as a comparison and getting a guy like him would be absolutely GREAT. Like I've been saying, Kevin will be Drew or Slava's partner for many many years.

Either way I'm fine, I just see Gravel being similar to Mitchell (offensively) in that Mitchell wasn't much offensively either earlier in his career, but his smarts and work ethic have helped him carve out a decent offesive nitch. Gravel's strengths are his smarts and work ethic as well, and he's just so focused and dedicated out there, and can't see this being his offensive ceiling.

He's no Orr, but I see some offensive improvement coming for him and 20 point seasons could be doable long-term.

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
I hate that criteria. This isn't an official HF list, it's a fans list, so if we as fans want someone added a prospect such as Campbell, why not? To me there's more reason to hold Toffoli off than Campbell. We all know that he's 99% locked into a roster spot and likely will not see AHL action again in his life.

I know. I agree to an extent, but the board gets into this argument every year... Last year it was over Nolan, year before that was Moller, three years ago was Bernier...

HF also changed the criteria slightly in the past year. Pretty sure it used to be 25 or 65 games. Now it's only NCAA guys that can be considered a "prospect" at age 25.

I have no problem with adding whoever but Holden's running this, Holden's rules.
From the first post of the first thread;

Here we go. Top 20 LA Prospects. According to HF prospect criteria.

HolyShot*

Hell I'm jumping on the gravel gravy train. U guys got me convinced.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
This list is being voted on using the Hockey's Future criteria for determining a prospect found here:

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/whatmakesaprospect/

None of Campbell, Cliché, or Bodnarchuk, meet the above criteria and shouldn't be considered for this list.

Where in the rules ( for lack of better word) that says the criteria for this has to be the same as in some other website. As far as ive seen there isnt any rules for the person we vote at. If there is i suggest we stop this now and discuess this then revote based on the critieria we set.

goosh

Nov 25, 2010
I didn't vote for him, but I'm surprised Mersch only has two votes. Think that at this point he's just as good if not better than Shore.

The guy was literally a one-man wrecking crew for the Badgers this season.

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
I didn't vote for him, but I'm surprised Mersch only has two votes. Think that at this point he's just as good if not better than Shore.

I really like Mersch's game but I had him as an honorary mention on my top 10 list. He's close to that 10 spot though. I don't agree about him being better or even as good as Shore. Nick's game is so well rounded that I find it hard to believe he won't have an NHL career. He's just a solid all around player and those are usually the safer bets than guys like Mersch.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Where in the rules ( for lack of better word) that says the criteria for this has to be the same as in some other website. As far as ive seen there isnt any rules for the person we vote at. If there is i suggest we stop this now and discuess this then revote based on the critieria we set.

Since Holden's running the polls, and he said it's per HF criteria, then it's done by HF's criteria.

I have Mersch 11th, and I'm a big fan. I just think his upside is a bit limited once he gets to the pro ranks.

Edit: Forgot to add that I think Shore not only has more of an upside, due to the cerebral approach to his game, but I also think he could find success in any role ranging from the first line to the third line.

Last edited:

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

Hate the is he/isn't he a prospect discussion. It's stupid.

Campbell and Cliche will not be eligible for this list.

Bodnarchuk will, since his July 11th birthday means that the season of his 24th birthday is technically this year (since season changes over on July 1, IMO).

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
Bodnarchuk will, since his July 11th birthday means that the season of his 24th birthday is technically this year (since season changes over on July 1, IMO).

Maybe i'm misunderstanding something but wouldn't this be Bodie's 25 year old season? He's an 88 birthday so he'd only be 24 for 10 days of this season, or is that why your allowing him, because he's 24 for part of this season?

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can

Well technicallly speaking you accepted him as possible prospect by putting him in the add vote list with Zykov but i will live with it :)

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada

Your list and I respect your criteria.

The one nice thing about being a fan though is we don't have to abide by any criteria, just go with what the masses want. But since I now see (thanks to tigermask48) that you've been using HF's criteria since the 1st poll, we should use it the rest of the way.

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Maybe i'm misunderstanding something but wouldn't this be Bodie's 25 year old season? He's an 88 birthday so he'd only be 24 for 10 days of this season, or is that why your allowing him, because he's 24 for part of this season?

Yes. Criteria states that;

Conversely, if a player completes the season of his 24th birthday without passing those milestones, then that player will no longer be considered a prospect by Hockey’s Future, regardless of the player’s status with his NHL club.

Since this is the "season" of his 24th birthday (even if only 10 days), I would consider him eligible per HF criteria by that. For this season. He would not be eligible next season.

Well technicallly speaking you accepted him as possible prospect by putting him in the add vote list with Zykov but i will live with it :)

I screwed up and did not look it up (honestly I did not realize Campbell was approaching the end of the hf conditions for prospects).

He will be removed. Sorry for the confusion.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
Yes. Criteria states that;

Since this is the "season" of his 24th birthday (even if only 10 days), I would consider him eligible per HF criteria by that. For this season. He would not be eligible next season.

I screwed up and did not look it up (honestly I did not realize Campbell was approaching the end of the hf conditions for prospects).

He will be removed. Sorry for the confusion.

np to be honest i didnt see the hf conditions as it was only on the first prospect poll, Its not like he would have made the list for a while yet either. all good here

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad