Proposal: Kings goalies x Sharks goalies

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Patty Ice

Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Kings get: Blackwood, Vanecek, SJ 3rd in 25.

Sharks get: Kuemper, Rittich/Copley, Kaliyev

Sharks don't have their own 3rd round pick. They have Colorado's and Edmonton's.

Kaliyev is interesting and has that size that Grier covets but I think the complete goaltending swap is over the top and extremely unlikely.

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
Kings get out of a horrible contract. Sharks don't want a horrible contract. Kaliyev is nice and all, but we'll look elsewhere to shore up talent up front.

Kuemper's contract sucks but he is a better option as a 1A goalie for an ostensibly contending team than a tandem of VV and Blackwood.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Kuemper's contract sucks but he is a better option as a 1A goalie for an ostensibly contending team than a tandem of VV and Blackwood.
No he isn't. And that contract flies in the face of everything we've been fighting to rid ourselves of.

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
No he isn't. And that contract flies in the face of everything we've been fighting to rid ourselves of.

I'm not saying the Sharks are eager to do this. It would make no sense to acquire Kuemper given they just got Askarov. Neither team does this.

Jungle Boy

Feb 12, 2003
Recife, Brazil
Will the Sharks keep both Blackwood and Vanecek? I thought they would trade on of them to make room for Askarov. Kuemper would be the starter while Askarov develops and claims the position. Also, Kurmper’s Salary is not that bad and San Jose will have no problem dealing with it

Patty Ice

Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Will the Sharks keep both Blackwood and Vanecek? I thought they would trade on of them to make room for Askarov. Kuemper would be the starter while Askarov develops and claims the position. Also, Kurmper’s Salary is not that bad and San Jose will have no problem dealing with it

Depends on how camp goes.

Personally, I'm hoping to keep the duo as is and let Askarov develop a bit more with the Barracuda. Occasionally call up when injuries occur and ultimately join the main team after the deadline and one is dealt off.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Askarov's extension doesn't kick in until next season so he'll probably start in the AHL. I assume Vanecek/Blackwood get injured/traded at some point in the year and Askarov knows that's when he'll get his chance. Either one or both will be gone next offseason though.

Reactions: Jungle Boy

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I’d be curious why either team does this. Kaliyev is fun and all and I’d be open to trading for him but the goalie swap seems rather pointless

Reactions: Guitpik

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
They probably keep both. If Askarov earns an NHL spot, they will waive Vanecek and assign him to the Barracuda. He'll remain there until Blackwood gets rented at the deadline to a competing team looking for a backup then get recalled to finish as Askarov's backup. Otherwise, Askarov gets assigned to the Barracuda and starts there until the same thing occurs where Blackwood probably gets dealt at the deadline and Askarov comes up to platoon with Vanecek. There's no need to trade for Kuemper who has a 10 team no-trade list that probably includes the Sharks on it. They can handle the contract but there's no way that the Sharks fork over the pick to make this happen. The Kings will need to fork over a 1st to offload that contract currently but they have no reason to do that. They can run with him for a year to see if he bounces back and eat a year then reassess.

Reactions: Jungle Boy

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
They probably keep both. If Askarov earns an NHL spot, they will waive Vanecek and assign him to the Barracuda. He'll remain there until Blackwood gets rented at the deadline to a competing team looking for a backup then get recalled to finish as Askarov's backup. Otherwise, Askarov gets assigned to the Barracuda and starts there until the same thing occurs where Blackwood probably gets dealt at the deadline and Askarov comes up to platoon with Vanecek. There's no need to trade for Kuemper who has a 10 team no-trade list that probably includes the Sharks on it. They can handle the contract but there's no way that the Sharks fork over the pick to make this happen. The Kings will need to fork over a 1st to offload that contract currently but they have no reason to do that. They can run with him for a year to see if he bounces back and eat a year then reassess.
I’d honestly rather they extend Blackwood for another couple seasons (if he wanted). He’s only 27 and I’d like to see some kind of a 1a 1b situation the way Boston ran with Swayman and Ullmark.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
The Sharks will at the very least carry two "NHL" goaltenders into camp so that Askarov isn't gifted a spot. No reason to trade or waive either of Blackwood or Vanecek until after NHL camp.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I’d honestly rather they extend Blackwood for another couple seasons (if he wanted). He’s only 27 and I’d like to see some kind of a 1a 1b situation the way Boston ran with Swayman and Ullmark.
Maybe. I think we'll need to see how the year plays out and see what it looks like closer to the trade deadline.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad