Proposal: Kings goalies x Sharks goalies

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Maybe. I think we'll need to see how the year plays out and see what it looks like closer to the trade deadline.
The offer would have to be outstandingly in our favor and even then, that would mean Blackwood is having a phenomenal season. I don't know how he is lockerroom-wise and how he is mentoring, but if he's good enough and works well with Askarov then I would be more than happy to have that combo for the next 3 or so years.

But you're right, there's a whole season to play out before thinking like this.

It's a sign that everyone really needs hockey
Honestly, I just want the season to start because Grier is making the offseason too exciting.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Kuemper's contract sucks but he is a better option as a 1A goalie for an ostensibly contending team than a tandem of VV and Blackwood.
When you wrote “ostensibly contending”, you meant “ostensibly contending to not come in last place in the league again”, right?

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
When you wrote “ostensibly contending”, you meant “ostensibly contending to not come in last place in the league again”, right?

I'm talking about LA preferring to keep Kuemper rather than having VV/Blackwood. The ostensibly contender is LA in that scenario.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I’d honestly rather they extend Blackwood for another couple seasons (if he wanted). He’s only 27 and I’d like to see some kind of a 1a 1b situation the way Boston ran with Swayman and Ullmark.
The difference being those guys are actually really good.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
The difference being those guys are actually really good.
Blackwood was fine. He was fine in Jersey but had injury issues. Boston has a strong fundamental game and a fantastic defense. Ullmark was a mediocre goaltender in Buffalo when he signed on. San Jose does not have the defensive structure or the pieces to make any goalies numbers look better than they played.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
simplify it maybe?

blackwood for one of rittich/copley, kaliyev and 3rd/4th

sharks free up a spot for askarov, waive whichever goalie they get. Kaliyev is essentially the main piece coming back but is fully a buy low move for the sharks.

Kings get better support for keumper (not by much but better support)

aircobra

May 4, 2013
In no world do the Sharks do this trade. Kuemper is old, overpaid, and not better than what the Sharks already have.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
simplify it maybe?

blackwood for one of rittich/copley, kaliyev and 3rd/4th

sharks free up a spot for askarov, waive whichever goalie they get. Kaliyev is essentially the main piece coming back but is fully a buy low move for the sharks.

Kings get better support for keumper (not by much but better support)
Why exactly do we want Kaliyev? There's a reason he can't find ice time on the Kings.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Blackwood was fine. He was fine in Jersey but had injury issues. Boston has a strong fundamental game and a fantastic defense. Ullmark was a mediocre goaltender in Buffalo when he signed on. San Jose does not have the defensive structure or the pieces to make any goalies numbers look better than they played.
I don't think you watched Ullmark in BUF or have looked up the numbers. He actually performed well there. I can go into the numbers for you if you'd like.

Here are Ullmark's SV% outside of his 1 Vezina year in BOS, but including his 2 other BOS years:

Here are Blackwood's for his years outside of SJ

I can go into more advanced numbers if you want like GSAA and adjusted SV% but BUF Ullmark will still come out on top of NJ Blackwood.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Why exactly do we want Kaliyev? There's a reason he can't find ice time on the Kings.
honestly, i saw it as a buy low on a young asset that might work and that might not. More importantly i see it as a way to open up a spot for Askarov.

I dont think the Kings or another team would trade a 2nd for Blackwood. Could be wrong. So if your going to get a later pick back might as well take a lottery ticket too.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I don't think you watched Ullmark in BUF or have looked up the numbers. He actually performed well there. I can go into the numbers for you if you'd like.

Here are Ullmark's SV% outside of his 1 Vezina year in BOS, but including his 2 other BOS years:

Here are Blackwood's for his years outside of SJ

I can go into more advanced numbers if you want like GSAA and adjusted SV% but BUF Ullmark will still come out on top of NJ Blackwood.
This is in credibly disingenuous. He played like 90 games in 6 seasons in Buffalo. He was mediocre at a time when goaltending still reigned supreme. He wasn’t bad, he wasn’t great. He was fine.

He was also the victim of being on a bad Buffalo team. I could say the same for Blackwood on a bad New Jersey and now San Jose squad.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
honestly, i saw it as a buy low on a young asset that might work and that might not. More importantly i see it as a way to open up a spot for Askarov.

I dont think the Kings or another team would trade a 2nd for Blackwood. Could be wrong. So if your going to get a later pick back might as well take a lottery ticket too.
Appreciate the thought, and absolutely if you aren't a Sharks fan I wouldn't expect you to be super familiar with the Sharks system, but neither of those things help us.

As far as Askarov goes, he'll be given every opportunity to win a role with the Sharks if he outplays Blackwood or Vanecek in camp. There's no reason to move one of those guys to make space for Askarov because if he can't outplay one of them then he deserves to start in the AHL. I think starting Askarov with the Cuda is probably the right play anyway and what I'm guessing will happen. If Askarov does make the Sharks, then you hope to sneak Vanecek through waivers because we do not have a quality AHL goaltender if we trade him.

As for Kaliyev, I think he's a better fit for a contender right against the cap hoping for a kid to grab a top-6 scoring spot for cheap. The Sharks already have tons of forwards competing for bottom-6 NHL spots; every forward other than Eklund/Zetterlund/Granlund/Toffoli/Wennberg/realistically Celebrini is technically competing for an NHL spot, and that includes Will Smith. So you have W. Smith, Kunin, Sturm, Dellandrea, Gushchin, Bordeleau, Kostin, Musty, Goodrow, Grundstrom, G. Smith, Graf, and Cardwell competing for six or seven spots. We already have tons of young NHL wingers trying to get established in the NHL, Kaliyev just adds another tweener to the list.

Last edited:

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
I'm talking about LA preferring to keep Kuemper rather than having VV/Blackwood. The ostensibly contender is LA in that scenario.
Got it, totally misunderstood your comment - although I will say Blackwood is a damned good goalie ***when healthy***.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Yes, cause these kind of trades always happen. How about Buffalo trades their defence for Carolina's defence, or Tampa Bay trades their forwards for Colorado's forwards???

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad