KHL implementing new OT rule regarding skating puck back into own zone, Should NHL Follow Suit?

JPT

Jul 4, 2024
Considering hockey was traditionally 6v6...
I’m not sure you can really call that the tradition when the teams were reduced to five skaters and a goalie over a century ago. It’s been 5v5 + goalies for much longer than it was 6v6.

The Real JT

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. :(
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Not a bad proposal but it skirts the main issue.

3 on 3 OT and shootouts aren’t real hockey. Either go to a 5 minute 5 on 5 OT or even better, go to a system where a regulation win gets 3 points.

None of those things will ever happen.

Reactions: izlez and Oryxo

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
In 3 on 3 gaining the zone is less of a big deal. Resetting and attacking with speed is a legitimate strategy. Don’t like it.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Dumb idea
Make a gimmick more gimmicky
Sorry KHL fans

Last edited:

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
I'd be all for any swift change to 3 on 3. It's just teams continually cycling back, to start a new rush, and if that doesn't work, they try it again. It's terribly boring.

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
About time. Let's hope the NHL implements it.

If we're gonna have gimmicky crap, at least make it exciting gimmicky crap.

islesfan3913

Apr 5, 2011
I really don’t understand the constant need of taking more and more creativity away from players that sports leagues seem to have lately. If circling back and regrouping to build an attack is the play to make, then teams should be allowed to do that.

Reactions: MessierII and Oryxo

Kingfan1967

Oct 6, 2017
So players get trapped on the ice and the attacking team can't reset? This is just going to see shorter and shorter shifts and fewer attacks, because if it's not perfect teams won't even try if they can't reset.

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
Winner gets 3 points, losers get none.
Both team gets 1 point if it's a draw.

Implement demotions like the English Premier League.

Reactions: izlez

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
I'd love for the AHL to test this out and see how it works for a full season before it's implemented in the NHL, as for how this usually goes.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Montreal used to be brutal at this

There is some funny YouTube clips, I think it was ducharme as their coach.

Like if they ran into the slightest defensive pressure in the neutral zone they would reverse back All the way back to behind their net.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Yeah, let's add one more gimmick to pretend hockey is something it's not. Hockey is a low-risk, defensive game. No matter how they try to tweak it, it'll default back to that.

If people are that desperate for an Exciting Ending!, no matter how fake, let's cut to the chase and go directly to a shootout.

Reactions: Neil Racki

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
Winner gets 3 points, losers get none.
Both team gets 1 point if it's a draw.

Implement demotions like the English Premier League.

I get where you're going with this but we're likely never to see them go back to allowing for tie games. The way I see it, within the confines of making games worth the same amount whether they end in regulation vs OT, I'd like it if they went with this:

Regulation W: 3 points
OT/SO W: 2 points
OT/SO L: 1 point
Regulation L: 0 points

I'd also prefer they do away with the SO and just go continuous OT until we get a winner but that's a whole other discussion to have for a different thread likely started by mulletman or something.

Last edited:
Reactions: LordBacon

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Yes, good rule.

3on3 OT was supposed to be fun and exciting, but what it actually is is one team maintaining possession for 4 minutes and then having one attack while the other team is tired.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad