KHL implementing new OT rule regarding skating puck back into own zone, Should NHL Follow Suit?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
Can they pass it back into their own zone?

I think the rule only makes sense if you have already gained the offensive zone. If you pick the puck up between the blue line and red line you should be allowed to carry it back to your side of the ice.

I would imagine that this also covers that but I can definitely see where they need to be specific in defining whether passing back is legal or not.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
1000% yes. Absolutely, no question about it.

The constant over-and back in the neutral zone to recycle possession is horribly boring and frustrating to watch. 3 on 3 is a gimmick and the merits of gimmicks deciding games are entirely up for debate. But if games are going to be decided by gimmicks, make those gimmicks FUN TO WATCH. Turnovers and the back-and-forth insanity of 3 on 3 are great fun, so emphasize that. Watching NHL stars play keep away with an entire ice surface is beyond boring.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Can they pass it back into their own zone?

I think the rule only makes sense if you have already gained the offensive zone. If you pick the puck up between the blue line and red line you should be allowed to carry it back to your side of the ice.
I agree with this.

There's some nuance to this that I think makes it difficult. It will have to be at the referee's discretion just like icing and faceoff violations.

If a dman is retreating with the puck because of active pressure...what's the expectation there? Are they allowed the cross the red line or do they have to dump or give it up or...?

And if you make a pass from the far blueline to just past the redline but you have no play and are under pressure...what then? Or you're in your offensive zone, you throw it up the boards hoping for the pointman but he misses and it trickles down the ice past the blue line and red line. I mean, I think the idea is "the player can't casually carry the puck back over the red line" but when you start thinking through some scenarios, again, you discover a lot of nuance.

I get the idea and what they are trying to eliminate, though. We all know the issue, we've all been frustrated at some point, but developing strict rules that have to apply over a broad spectrum of fluid gameplay is tough. Unless you want to implement a VERY strict rule - once past the red line, you can't carry or pass it or "possess" it back over. Otherwise, it's a whistle and then a DoG penalty. Then you throw every nuance into the bag of "well tough shit". That would also be fine, lol.

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
Yes!! I've been saying this for at least 2 years now. This is the one rule they should adopt from the NBA -- backcourt violations. It would make OT so much better. Not a penalty - just give possession to the other team in their D zone with the violating team clearing the zone.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
I think the league should also have a rule about icings at the end of the game.

Set a number -let’s say 2 icings are permitted in final 3 minutes of a game. On the 3rd icing it’s a penalty.

The number then resets back to 0.

Tired of watching teams ice the puck for 10 mins of the third period.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Something should definitely be done. Happy that some other leagues are getting it implemented to see how it works out and see if there are too many unintended consequences

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
So after the puck enters offensive zone you can't bring it back over center line. Is that the way it works?

Or is it just cant go over and back on the red line?

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
1000% yes. Absolutely, no question about it.

The constant over-and back in the neutral zone to recycle possession is horribly boring and frustrating to watch. 3 on 3 is a gimmick and the merits of gimmicks deciding games are entirely up for debate. But if games are going to be decided by gimmicks, make those gimmicks FUN TO WATCH. Turnovers and the back-and-forth insanity of 3 on 3 are great fun, so emphasize that. Watching NHL stars play keep away with an entire ice surface is beyond boring.
Great post. The result of going to 3 on 3 was entirely predictable and the move was poorly conceived, but if the league has to have those stupid gimmicks in the name of entertainment then something like this would make their gimmicks entertaining.

While my preference would be to get rid of the gimmicks and end every game after 60 minutes of play, if there is to be a move in this direction I like the idea of having some variation of the NBA over and back rule where there is a change of possession, perhaps with the team getting possession starting at the center faceoff dot and the offending team starting at their blue line, or perhaps both teams starting at their blue lines.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
The one issue I see with this rule is that IMO the team will take even more time to go over the red line. They are going to make sure they have a play so it might not be as good as people think it will be.It works in the NBA because they only have 24 secs to take a shot so they need to get across center line quickly. Hockey will not have this restriction.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad