Kevyn Adams GM thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
Sure, they Quinn and Peterka MIGHT be legit top line forwards.

You don't evaluate a team on hopes and dreams, you look at who they are.

Right now, their production is what you see on a secondary scoring winger. Could they grow and develop? Sure. Will they? That is far from a certainty.

Thompson had two seasons where the coach told him 'go go go', he scored 162 pts in 166 games.

When they pulled the reins of that system in a bit....he scored 56 pts in 71 games. Now, injuries take a toll there. And so did the power play dropping.

But to say that his upside is the average production he got on his two seasons as the unquestioned #1 center on a shackle free system isn't really a stretch. He's a very good center. He's just not an elite center (i.e. top 10)

I'm assuming you mean UPL. Goalie stats are hugely team dependent, but GSAA he was 16th. If you take out goalies with less than 30 starts, he was 12th

Slightly above average? Not elite, but good.

It's not. We have 5 top six forwards. (Thompson, Tuch, Cozens, Peterka, Quinn)

We have 1 top pair d-man. (Dahlin)

We have depth behind them in the bottom six and bottom 4. We have probably 3 2nd pair d-men (Depending on how you feel about Samuelsson). Maybe Power takes a step this year and is a top pair guy. Maybe Byram does

We have alot of great prospects coming who COULD become top six forwards. But...none of those are here yet. Maybe Kulich is...maybe he's not. Maybe Benson becomes one.

Maybe Maybe Maybe.

We have a potentially high talent group. But, as is...its right in the mediocre category. Not elite, not terrible. Just right in the mushy middle, probably on the lower end given the volume of youth.

Describe it another way...maybe...lack of elite talent? Players who can score in tight checking, high pressure games?

It didn't though. That's the problem. We are still square in it. And to be fair, I don't see a path to be legit contenders. Path to be a playoff team, sure. But elite legit cup contenders?

We'd have to hit on nearly every prospect and have masterful management of balancing development of players and winning expectations as well as a keen eye for properly building out teams so roles are filled.

Has Adams demonstrated the ability to do any of that entering his 5th year as GM?
Wow. Thompson not close to top ten
One top pair defense and upl. Didn't read too much more to absorb the theme.
We blow.

That is an opinion. It took massive injuries and weird coaching moments , a new nhl edge puck fun etc

Ill be living on the street somewhere, ( as I'm finished w society and waiting on one last thing stolen to be given a chance to returned) during the season to check this dour post, but I'll make the effort.

Look at the bills roster. Coaching matters. We'll see if lindy is well enough to do what he clearly is capable of. The talent is fine. If they do well expect a big add as well if needed)

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Imagine the pressure to make the playoffs if we were a cap team

I mean, its damned if you do, damned if you don't.

If we are capped out and the team fails, the GM is going to get nailed for poor use of resources

If we are 7M under the cap and we don't win, the GM is going to get nailed for not using his resources.

The only real way out for Adams is for the team to win and break the playoff streak. If not, everything and anything he does will be heavily criticized.

Reactions: elchud

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Wow. Thompson not close to top ten
One top pair defense and upl. Didn't read too much more to absorb the theme.
We blow.

That is an opinion. It took massive injuries and weird coaching moments , a new nhl edge puck fun etc

Ill be living on the street somewhere, ( as I'm finished w society and waiting on one last thing stolen to be given a chance to returned) during the season to check this dour post, but I'll make the effort.

Look at the bills roster. Coaching matters. We'll see if lindy is well enough to do what he clearly is capable of. The talent is fine. If they do well expect a big add as well if needed)

I didn't say we blow, I said we're mediocre. 1/3 of the playoff teams every year are mediocre though, so its not some massive insult.

We're in the mushy middle of non elite, not terrible teams.

Reactions: buffalowing88

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
It definitely feels like Terry is kicking the financial can down the road until the new stadium is built. You don’t need to even pay Peterka or Quinn until that new stadium is built anyways.

While hoping the Sabres get playoff revenue with young and cheaper talent to offset being in the red for so many years.

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
I am assuming that Pegula has bought into the slow draft and develop approach to the build and has been in lock step with the approach to the off season each and every year of Adams's time as GM.

You assume that winning now has been the expectation of Adams by Pegula since his hire. I do not believe that is the case.
Adding trade chips by paying UFAs to come here and then trading them away at the deadline, or taking on cap dumps should fall under the "slow draft and develop approach" right? But those kind of moves cost $ and we didn't make any.

Signing UFAs and taking on cap dumps would also have meant that our draft picks would have developed in lower leagues where they belonged instead of being rushed into the nhl before they were ready. But again, that costs more money than we spent.

If we're on the "slow draft and develop approach", why the rush to get our prospects into the NHL? Why be the youngest team in the league for 4 years in a row? Because it's cheaper.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I mean, its damned if you do, damned if you don't.

If we are capped out and the team fails, the GM is going to get nailed for poor use of resources

If we are 7M under the cap and we don't win, the GM is going to get nailed for not using his resources.

The only real way out for Adams is for the team to win and break the playoff streak. If not, everything and anything he does will be heavily criticized.
Well, to be fair, I'd say he's been pretty bad with the resources he had to use, and we weren't a cap strapped team.

Are we still freaking out how we are going to pay Myers, McNabb, McCabe, Luke Adam, and Pysyk in a few years?
That's a question for Kevyn to answer, not the fans.

sabremike

#1 Tageaholic
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Looks like we have the eventual replacement for KA:
20240918_144720.jpg

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Adding trade chips by paying UFAs to come here and then trading them away at the deadline, or taking on cap dumps should fall under the "slow draft and develop approach" right? But those kind of moves cost $ and we didn't make any.

Signing UFAs and taking on cap dumps would also have meant that our draft picks would have developed in lower leagues where they belonged instead of being rushed into the nhl before they were ready. But again, that costs more money than we spent.

If we're on the "slow draft and develop approach", why the rush to get our prospects into the NHL? Why be the youngest team in the league for 4 years in a row? Because it's cheaper.
They haven't really rushed that many prospects. They have been the youngest team in the league because they have had so many guys on ELCs and 2nd contracts on the roster because of the nature of the approach to the rebuild.

Benson is the only player that Adams has drafted that played over 10 games in the NHL in their D+1 season.

Quinn didn't stick until his D+3 season. The same with JJP.

Power went back to Michigan for his D+1 season and got 8 games at the end of the year. That isn't rushing a 1OV pick.

Rosen has 7 NHL GP in his 3 post-draft seasons.

Savoie, Ostlund, and Kulich have a combined 2 NHL GPs in their 2 post-draft seasons.

Cozens playing 41 NHL games in his D+2 season isn't really rushing a top 10 pick.

And it took until his D+5 season for Ryan Johnson to play 41 NHL games. They certainly did not rush RyJo to the NHL.

Levi was rushed a little bit last year after that solid small sample size of 7 games at the end of his D+3 season.

Overall, they are either letting guys slow cook a relatively long time (RyJo, Rosen, Ostlund, & Kulich), letting guys cook about average (Power & Cozens), and the microwave approach has really only been with Benson.

Reactions: Perry Tegula

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad