Kevyn Adams GM thread

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Why is Ehlers speaking about Buffalo? And what was said
I think this was probably in the season, the usual interviews before or after the game.

Rebuilding? Chicago's trying harder to get in the playoffs than we are.
Well, it won't be easy for them to do it, but I wouldn't be surprised if Utah gets into their first playoff before us.

stealth1

Aug 28, 2009
Niagara, Ontario
How is that possible when you are spending 25M on 3 d-men every year for the next 6 years. They've limited their spending at forward already.

Rebuilding? Chicago's trying harder to get in the playoffs than we are.
Regardless of what Chicago is they are an easier sell for players than Buffalo is.

Even when the Sabres were winning guys didn't want to play here. Go all the way back to Drury and Briere. Both wanted to leave as soon as they could even when they were winning.

Fans have to understand we are the same as Winnipeg. Players have no interest in coming here.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Fans have to understand we are the same as Winnipeg. Players have no interest in coming here.
Do the Bills have the same problem?

I'm from another country and may not know all the nuances, but what is the problem with Buffalo as a city? How is Detroit better or New Jersey (I saw a video, it seems like a terrible city). I didn't think Buffalo was a bad place for a regular player, Canada and New York are nearby.

I don't think the problem is the city, it's the team not being in the playoffs for 13 years. Also, that can't be an excuse for the GM, most NHL players don't have any trade protection.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
That's not true, Buffalo is regularly 2nd or 3rd on the least desirable cities to visit and play in on the annual players poll, they flip flop with Ottawa. Winnipeg is always #1 and in a league of it's own :sarcasm:

Do the Bills have the same problem?
Football and Hockey are different monsters completely. Football seasons are short, which makes location much less of an issue -there are only 8 home games a season (well maybe 9, but that is a new thing now), and the rest of the season is mostly spent traveling and preparing for road games. The popularity of the NFL is also so much larger than the NHL in the states, so NFL players are gods in any NFL market, much like NHL players are in Toronto or Montreal. Bills vs Sabres recruiting based on winning is apples to oranges.

Most normal people would find Buffalo a better place to live than Detroit or Newark, true, but if you are a 20-something millionaire star athlete, Buffalo is not high on the list of location cities call home for 2/3rds of a year.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Most normal people would find Buffalo a better place to live than Detroit or Newark, true, but if you are a 20-something millionaire star athlete, Buffalo is not high on the list of location cities call home for 2/3rds of a year.
I think it depends on the person and their character. There are very educated young people and at 20-25 years old they just want to play hockey and live peacefully in a city like Buffalo.

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
The one where Krueger had power?

How are there still posters who believe that Adams built that team like a normal GM? Krueger was the co-GM in all but name, answered directly to Pegula (not Adams) and had the same power over the roster that McDermott has with the Bills. How soon we forget the flat management structure and Pegula’s love affair with it.
Please post a direct source stating the exact % of power Kreuger and Adams each wielded over the roster in 2020-21.

Adams name is the one on the receipts.

Looks like Adams had the power, but deferred to what Kreuger wanted. Adams choosing to do what Kreuger wanted with the roster is still Adams constructing a last place roster.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
They were in the standings hole they were in because both of their top centers were shittier than their “3C” who they dealt away.

As for being soft to play against, Skinner and Olofsson were the poster children of Granatos candy-ass play style approach.
I don’t think Olofsson was playing when Marchand said that, but Peterka was still developing and not winning puck battles, and we had a rotating cast of players on that line who were giving up big chances every few shifts.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
The humor in this is that Adam's did a lot of the things people wanted him to do last offseason. Rebuild the bottom six, get a veteran G.

Where he's failing is addressing the issue down the middle - or where we all think he's failing. At least part of that is for the same reasons he parted ways with Middlestadt - doesn't want to block cheap players on entry level or second contracts. So if we want to describe not addressing the top 6 or at least a 3rd line center as a deficiency or fault in his abilities to execute as a GM - I think at least PART of the story is he is hedging on this group as soon as this season, but certainly in 25/26:

Kulich
Savoie
Ostland
Rosen

Kozak
Kisakov
Neuchev
Helenius
Wahlberg

So even outside all the externalities that limit his ability to attract UFAs or pull off trades (NMC/NTC, payroll restriction, unable to find trading partners, etc.), I still think he is disproportionately influenced by his own optimistic thinking that a roster player will come from the farm.
Adams basically did everything I wanted except I don’t love his 4C choice…and I would’ve liked a better winger than Zucker.

But mostly I’m crushed to finally see proof that we’re a team with an internal salary cap.

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
Adams basically did everything I wanted except I don’t love his 4C choice…and I would’ve liked a better winger than Zucker.

But mostly I’m crushed to finally see proof that we’re a team with an internal salary cap.
We are already over the cap of last season with 3 RFA to sign which will probably be at least another 6m on the cap.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
That we bought out Skinner and didn’t use his cap. Although with today’s acquisition, it’s somewhat less of a worry. I didn’t see that one when I made the post.

If they are dumping Krebs I think on paper after reasonable RFA deals we'd be around 7.5M under the cap or more. Actually with Joker at 3.1, probably closer to 8.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
You think they’re dumping Krebs? Yikes…did not consider that as a possibility

Where is he on the depth cart?

LW:

Peterka
Greenway
Benson
Zucker
Malestyn

C:

Thompson
Cozens
McLeod
Lafferty

RW:

Tuch
Quinn
NAK

Gotta think of the Greenway/Benson/Zucker are going to play their offside.

Krebs is their 13th F currently.

michaelsaas

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Beaumont, TX

LW:

Peterka
Greenway
Benson
Zucker
Malestyn

C:

Thompson
Cozens
McLeod
Lafferty

RW:

Tuch
Quinn
NAK

If that is the case, he would be an ideal 13th F - has some pep, attitude and could fill in anywhere in the lineup in case of injury.

Reactions: Dirty Dog and Club

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY

LW:

Peterka
Greenway
Benson
Zucker
Malestyn

C:

Thompson
Cozens
McLeod
Lafferty

RW:

Tuch
Quinn
NAK

1720217436410.png

Here's the whole org right now, however you order them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad