Kevin Musto's 2023 NHL Draft Ranking

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
PROSPECT RANKING
WRITE-UP
1. C Connor BedardRegina Pats, WHL
[5’10”. 185lbs. Born on July 17, 2005.]

There’s nothing I can say about Bedard that hasn’t been said already. He’s a generational prospect, the best we’ve seen in years. He can fire a shot off from anywhere on the ice, on balance, off balance, it doesn’t matter. Goal scorers don’t come better than this. There are situations in which you think he’s pinned, and then he’ll whip out some magic trick that you’ll need a replay to catch. Bedard is a cheat code. He’s the best prospect I’ve ever had the pleasure of scouting. A modern day Mike Bossy.
2. C Adam FantilliUniversity of Michigan, NCAA
[6’2”. 187lbs. Born on October 12, 2004.]

A monster power forward à la Mark Messier. Fantilli is one of the rare prospects that has no glaring weaknesses. Elite describes every facet of his game. Fantilli would have been the consensus number one pick in the 2019, 2020, 2021, and 2022 draft classes. It just so happens he ended up in a draft with Connor Bedard.
3. RW Ryan LeonardU18's, USNTDP
[6’0”. 190lbs. Born on January 21, 2005.]

I’m confident he’ll be an extremely effective player in the NHL. Leonard has the tools, the determination, the relentless ability to grind for the puck, and he can fill different roles up and down the lineup. He drives the net at an elite level. His effort makes him noticeable on every shift. He’s a star on the penalty kill. He’s always playing play-off caliber hockey. Coaches will find him easy to deploy in any situation. Leonard is the kind of piece that every team dreams of adding to their roster because he’s a player that wins games. He’s a coveted prospect in this draft class, and I wouldn’t hesitate to call him a unicorn.
4. RW Andrew CristallKelowna Rockets, WHL
[5’10”. 175lbs. Born on February 4, 2005.]

Makes great use of deception and fake outs to throw off the opposition. High compete level, willing to throw hits even though he’s on the smaller side. Sees the ice well, has a knack for finding passing lanes, and can wire accurate no-look feeds. He possesses that special sixth sense where he always knows where the puck is going to be. Needs to beef up and become harder to knock off the puck, but that’s an easy fix, and at this point it’s just nitpicking. Cristall’s upside is sky-high, and there will be many that will doubt his ability to reach it, but I’m a believer.
5. C Leo CarlssonÖrebro HK, SHL
[6’3”. 194lbs. Born on December 26, 2004.]

Smart center with a fortified frame. Carlsson makes use of his strength to protect the puck from forecheckers and defenders. He also has a smooth set of dekes he can whip out at any given time. You can see how he’ll be easily transplanted to the NHL. With the poise and maturity he plays with, Carlsson is easily projectable as a middle sixer with upside to be more. I was less hot on him during the regular season, but he looked like a whole new man in the playoffs. I like a player who can step up when it counts.
6. RD David ReinbacherEHC Kloten, NL
[6’2”. 194lbs. Born on October 25, 2004.]

You can safely bet on Reinbacher becoming a top 4 D in the NHL. He’s an all situations two-way defenseman. 5 on 5, PP, PK, it doesn’t matter. He’ll play big minutes. Reinbacher doesn’t overcomplicate things, he just gets the job done every time. These types of prospects don’t grow on trees. The team that drafts him will be more than pleased with their investment. Has the upside to make it as a true top pairing defender.
7. C Oliver MooreU18's, USNTDP
[5’11”. 195lbs. Born on January 22, 2005.]

I’d wager that he’s among the fastest skaters in the draft. He consistently creates scoring opportunities using his elite speed. He also displays good two-way qualities. Moore is the other half of a reliable penalty killing duo with Leonard. You’re always looking for guys that can play at his pace. It’s not an easy thing to come across, and it will allow him to keep up with the best players in the NHL.
8. C Will SmithU18's, USNTDP
[6’0”. 180lbs. Born on March 17, 2005.]

He can be responsible for some really careless passing and overhandling the puck which will make you question his decision making, but when it works it becomes an instant highlight reel moment and he looks like a wizard. Smith giveth, and Smith taketh. That about sums up his game. As he matures, the hope is that he’ll develop a better understanding of when’s the right time and place for his more creative plays. Right now his shot lacks consistency in how accurate it is. However his dekes are among the best in the draft. Very nifty. Makes great use of toe drags, even if he tends to be a one-trick pony. His speed is adequate, but he’s elusive. He needs to improve his strength so he can fend off bigger players because right now he’s incapable of winning those battles. Good, smart kid off the ice. Smith is the most gifted player on his team, but Leonard and Moore make better use of their talent.
9. RW Matvei MichkovHK Sochi, KHL
[5’10”. 148lbs. Born on December 9, 2004.]

For a player that has been hyped as long as he has, Michkov is still raw. He won’t be ready to play in the NHL any time soon. You also won’t see an ounce of defensive play out of him. He cheats past the blueline. If the puck isn’t on his stick, he’s not doing anything to help the team. Initially he looked reinvigorated from his move to Sochi, but after coming out the gate with more motivation he mostly reverted back to his usual self. Poor body language, worthless off the puck, prone to becoming a pylon, subpar playmaking, trouble with winning board battles, trying to take four guys head on at once and losing. He also doesn’t have the speed to create lots of separation in transition. It’s a long list of things that make Michkov an annoying player to watch. NHL coaches will find him difficult to work with. After being labeled a “generational prospect” too early, Michkov just hasn’t taken the necessary jumps in his development. Still, there’s potential for upside if you’re patient with his timeline. If he can bulk up and play in the paint at the NHL level, he may be able to develop into a high end version of Brendan Gallagher.
10. C Dalibor DvorskýAIK, HockeyAllsvenskan
[6’1”. 200lbs. Born on June 15, 2005.]

A very projectable player at the center position. He’s shown his capability as a strong net-front presence. Doesn’t shy away from physical contact. Has a snappy release when shooting and passing. Great decision maker and handles the puck with confidence. He’s also an intelligent playmaker.
11. LW Zach BensonWinnipeg Ice, WHL
[5’10”. 170lbs. Born on May 12, 2005.]

A little two-way buzzsaw that reads the game well, with an emphasis on little. His skating leaves a bit to be desired. I certainly wish he was a bit faster, but he does hustle. He’s on the smaller side and other players take advantage of it. He gets outmuscled off the puck often, and he’s not elusive enough to avoid contact. He plays at an extremely high compete level. Could develop into something akin to Brandon Hagel, but without the blazing speed.
12. LW Colby BarlowOwen Sound Attack, OHL
[6’1”. 195lbs. Born on February 14, 2005.]

At the start of the season it looked like Barlow was capable of doing more, but often wouldn’t. Barlow played very conservatively. As the year progressed, so did he. I like that he steadily improved. I think his upside is that of a middle sixer who can play on the PK, and chip in for some goals here and there. The 1st round usually has a few token “safe” picks, and Barlow is one of those guys.
13. LW Matthew WoodUniversity of Connecticut, NCAA
[6’4”. 197lbs. Born on February 6, 2005.]

The way he lumbers around the ice looks lethargic and slow. He’s big, but not physical. Has no real motor to speak of, and he’s not the best defensively. On the flip side, he’s highly skilled. He’s got silky smooth stickhandling and graceful shooting form. Also able to take away passing lanes with his wingspan. Wood is a bit of a paradox. He’s been incredibly productive as the youngest guy in the NCAA. His entire team’s offense practically runs through him. That is not an easy task for a freshman. He’s also still growing at a rapid pace, so I think it’s going to take time for him to adjust to his body. The ugly skating problems either sink him or they don’t, but he’s obviously one of the more talented guys in the draft even if we don’t see that side of him on every shift.
14. LW Quentin MustySudbury Wolves, OHL
[6’2”. 200lbs. Born on July 6, 2005.]

Fits the mold of a prototypical hockey player and should be a safe bet to play in the NHL. He plays simple, meat and potatoes hockey but with enough flash peppered in to get you out of your seat every once in a while. Skates well, has the size, and enough skill for textbook dekes. Secretly he might also be one of the best playmakers in the draft. Musty has a profile with lots of upside.
15. RD Axel Sandin PellikkaSkellefteå AIK, SHL
[5’11”. 180lbs. Born on March 11, 2005.]

Physically outmatched at the SHL level. Opposing players completely shirk him off. Struggles to win board battles. On the other side of the coin, he’s much more comfortable playing against his peers since he can walk right through them. An exceptional skater. The first thing you’ll notice about him is his jaw dropping mobility. Has a very intriguing set of offense-oriented tools, but adjusting to the physicality of the NHL might be an uphill battle. Definitely a few years out.
16. C Samuel HonzekVancouver Giants, WHL
[6’3”. 195lbs. Born on November 12, 2004.]

Surprisingly fast at times which allows him to make powerful drives to the net, however he needs to get better with seizing those opportunities. Honzek is much bigger and stronger than his competition at the WHL level. He’s capable of swallowing guys along the boards. Naturally, he won’t be able to do that to the same extent in the NHL. A lot of his success right now comes from exploiting these mismatches. Which is a good thing, you want to see that. But whether he can do enough to create, without being so reliant on his body as a crutch, still remains to be seen. Honzek is raw, but his big and athletic 6’3” frame gives him lots of potential.
17. LW/RW Gabe PerreaultU18's, USNTDP
[5’11”. 163lbs. Born on May 7, 2005.]

He seems to really synergize with his linemates, and that to me is his greatest strength as a player. I feel like you could play him with anyone and he’ll figure out how to make it function. He’s like an instant cure for line chemistry.
18. C Nate DanielsonBrandon Wheat Kings, WHL
[6’2”. 186lbs. Born on September 27, 2004.]

Perhaps the most “vanilla” center available in the draft. He’s perfectly average at everything he does. No weaknesses in his game, but his ceiling is limited. His high floor makes him a safe bet to carve a path as a full time NHLer, even if it winds up being in a bottom 6 role.
19. RW Eduard ŠaléHC Kometa Brno, Czechia
[6’2”. 175lbs. Born on March 10, 2005.]

A bit of a tricky player to properly assess. Sale stood out in tournaments playing amongst peers, but looks average at best in the Czech Extraliga. Most players in the draft aren’t playing against men so it’s hard to fault Sale on that, but even then it’s a pretty subpar pro league. At heart he’s a playmaker and passing is his biggest strength however there are definitely times where the better move would be to shoot, but he defers instead. He has also struggled with his finishing ability. Defensive play and hustle are gaps in his game. Unfortunately he’s not the same player I saw in his D-1 year.
20. W/C Brayden YagerMoose Jaw Warriors, WHL
[5’11”. 170lbs. Born on January 3, 2005.]

Quick skater with pure goal scoring instincts. I personally think he’ll be better suited as a winger at the NHL level since I don’t think he has the decision making ability to be a true center. But I can absolutely see him as a top 9 scoring threat that can be used on the power play. He’s usually in the right place at the right time. Still small at this stage and will need to pack on muscle before he can play in the NHL.
21. RW Koehn ZiemmerPrince George Cougars, WHL
[6’0”. 210lbs. Born on December 8, 2004.]

It’s pretty interesting having two draft eligible players like Ziemmer and Heidt playing on a line together. When watching them play, I find myself coming away more impressed with Ziemmer. He just has a bit more tenacity. Needs to improve defensively.
22. C Riley HeidtPrince George Cougars, WHL
[5’11”. 180lbs. Born on March 25, 2005.]

Put together a good season. He’s a premium playmaker. I still think he can be a bit sloppy, but he’s got another 2 years in the WHL to clean that up. Heidt has solid physical strength.
23. RW Gavin BrindleyUniversity of Michigan, NCAA
[5’8”. 168lbs. Born on October 5, 2004.]

Active player in all zones. Hustles on every shift. Good on faceoffs. The type of guy that is sure to be a coach’s favourite. However he’s really small right now. His future success hinges on his ability to bulk up.
24. C Calum RitchieOshawa Generals, OHL
[6’2”. 187lbs. Born on January 21, 2005.]

A decent option for teams wanting to pick up a smart playmaking center. Was a bit inconsistent throughout the season and isn’t much of a goal scorer. Foot speed could use some improvement.
25. RD Oliver BonkLondon Knights, OHL
[6’2”. 180lbs. Born on January 9, 2005.]

Big defenseman with a heavy shot that he loves to use whenever possible. I think he’s somewhat of a throwback. His style of play looks like a defenseman from the 2000s, rather than now, but I mean that as a compliment. Reminds me a lot of Brent Seabrook. I have a lot of confidence in Bonk becoming an NHL regular.
26. LD Theo LindsteinBrynäs IF, SHL
[6’0”. 185lbs. Born on January 5, 2005.]

Shutdown defender that plays like a pro. In fact I’d argue he’s the best defensive defenseman in the draft. He plays mature, poised hockey and has a great understanding of the fundamentals, the kind you’d expect out of a veteran. Lindstein has the speed to guard even the fastest of players.
27. RW Jayden PerronChicago Steel, USHL
[5’9”. 166lbs. Born on January 11, 2005.]

There’s no doubt that Perron is undersized. But he also happens to be one of the best forecheckers in the draft. He doesn’t take breaks, and he doesn’t let his opponents take breaks either. His stick doesn’t quit. He’s always pressuring puck carriers with a flurry of jabs. It’s not a skillset you can ignore. Give him a couple years of hitting the gym in the NCAA, and I think you’ll end up with a really tenacious two way winger that can hang in the NHL.
28. LD/RD Mikhail GulyayevOmskie Yastreby, MHL
[5’10”. 170lbs. Born on April 26, 2005.]

Moves incredibly well. The way he pivots and glides is seamless. Comfortable playing the right side despite being left handed. Really likes to pepper the net with shots, and keep the goalie under pressure. There’s always going to be concern with defensemen his size and their effectiveness at the NHL level. Could mean it takes a while for him to find his footing, but he is talented and can run a power play. As a late first round pick, he’s a decent swing if you’re betting on pure upside.
29. RD Hunter BrzustewiczKitchener Rangers, OHL
[6’0”. 190lbs. Born on November 29, 2004.]

Great skating and mobility in all directions. Sharp awareness. Brzustewicz can really slow things down and orchestrate the pace of play at will. All the tools you’d expect to see in a modern day defenseman. From my point of view, his upside to become a second pairing guy is apparent.
30. G Thomas Milic (OA)Seattle Thunderbirds, WHL
[6’1”. 175lbs. Born on April 14, 2003.]

Had a season that can’t be ignored. Not only did Milic save Canada at the World Juniors and became a hero, he also played great all year in Seattle. Both the regular season, and the playoffs when he performed like a machine. And it wasn’t just this year. Looking back at his resume, he should have already been drafted. Milic was a victim of the shortened Covid season. But teams won’t be making that mistake again. He gets better every year, and while development isn’t necessarily linear, Milic has put together a body of work that makes him the surest thing at an NHL goalie in this draft.
31. RD Lukas DragicevicTri-City Americans, WHL
[6’1”. 194lbs. Born on April 25, 2005.]

Will engage physically with mixed results. Sometimes it’s effective, sometimes it leaves him out of position. I think more often than not, at the NHL level, that won’t fly. Not the sharpest QB on the power play. Has some skating concerns. His production makes him very intriguing and there’s obvious tools to mold here, but he might struggle to adapt at the next level.
32. C Charlie StramelUniversity of Wisconsin, NCAA
[6’3”. 222lbs. Born on October 15, 2004.]

A center with a good physical profile. Stramel plays a heavier power forward brand of hockey. He needs at least another two years in college to develop. I think his ceiling is a 3C, but he’s got a sturdy floor.

REMAINDER OF MY BOARD
33. RD Tom Willander
34. RW Nick Lardis
35. C Oscar Fisker Mølgaard
36. LD Dmitri Simashev
37. C/W William Whitelaw
38. LW Daniil But
39. RW Ethan Gauthier
40. C/W Coulson Pitre
41. LW Kalan Lind
42. C/LW Carson Rehkopf
43. C/W Gracyn Sawchyn
44. C Carey Terrance
45. C/W Otto Stenberg
46. C Noah Dower Nilsson
47. LD Caden Price
48. LD Etienne Morin
49. RW Mathieu Cataford
50. LW Aydar Suniev
51. LW/RW Lenni Hameenaho
52. LD Tanner Molendyk
53. C/W Luca Pinelli
54. RW Nico Myatovic
55. LD Tristan Bertucci
56. C Bradly Nadeau
57. RW/C Kasper Halttunen
58. LW/RW Alex Ciernik
59. C David Edstrom
60. C/W Felix Nilsson
61. RW Matthew Soto
62. C/W Angus MacDonell
63. G Trey Augustine
64. G Scott Ratzlaff
65. C/W Denver Barkey
66. C/W Easton Cowan
67. LW Ondrej Molnár
68. LD Arttu Kärki
69. RD Aram Minnetian
70. RD Beau Akey
71. RD Matthew Mania
72. RW Jesse Kiiskinen
73. RD Mazden Leslie
74. C Connor Levis
75. C Anton Wahlberg
76. RW Felix Unger Sörum
77. G Michael Hrabal
78. G Adam Gajan (OA)
79. C Danny Nelson
80. LW Jesse Nurmi
81. RD Gennadi Chaly

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
PROSPECT RANKING
WRITE-UP

There’s nothing I can say about Bedard that hasn’t been said already. He’s a generational prospect, the best we’ve seen in years. He can fire a shot off from anywhere on the ice, on balance, off balance, it doesn’t matter. Goal scorers don’t come better than this. There are situations in which you think he’s pinned, and then he’ll whip out some magic trick that you’ll need a replay to catch. Bedard is a cheat code. He’s the best prospect I’ve ever had the pleasure of scouting. A modern day Mike Bossy.

A monster power forward à la Mark Messier. Fantilli is one of the rare prospects that has no glaring weaknesses. Elite describes every facet of his game. Fantilli would have been the consensus number one pick in the 2019, 2020, 2021, and 2022 draft classes. It just so happens he ended up in a draft with Connor Bedard.

I’m confident he’ll be an extremely effective player in the NHL. Leonard has the tools, the determination, the relentless ability to grind for the puck, and he can fill different roles up and down the lineup. He drives the net at an elite level. His effort makes him noticeable on every shift. He’s a star on the penalty kill. He’s always playing play-off caliber hockey. Coaches will find him easy to deploy in any situation. Leonard is the kind of piece that every team dreams of adding to their roster because he’s a player that wins games. He’s a coveted prospect in this draft class, and I wouldn’t hesitate to call him a unicorn.

Makes great use of deception and fake outs to throw off the opposition. High compete level, willing to throw hits even though he’s on the smaller side. Sees the ice well, has a knack for finding passing lanes, and can wire accurate no-look feeds. He possesses that special sixth sense where he always knows where the puck is going to be. Needs to beef up and become harder to knock off the puck, but that’s an easy fix, and at this point it’s just nitpicking. Cristall’s upside is sky-high, and there will be many that will doubt his ability to reach it, but I’m a believer.

Smart center with a fortified frame. Carlsson makes use of his strength to protect the puck from forecheckers and defenders. He also has a smooth set of dekes he can whip out at any given time. You can see how he’ll be easily transplanted to the NHL. With the poise and maturity he plays with, Carlsson is easily projectable as a middle sixer with upside to be more. I was less hot on him during the regular season, but he looked like a whole new man in the playoffs. I like a player who can step up when it counts.

You can safely bet on Reinbacher becoming a top 4 D in the NHL. He’s an all situations two-way defenseman. 5 on 5, PP, PK, it doesn’t matter. He’ll play big minutes. Reinbacher doesn’t overcomplicate things, he just gets the job done every time. These types of prospects don’t grow on trees. The team that drafts him will be more than pleased with their investment. Has the upside to make it as a true top pairing defender.

I’d wager that he’s among the fastest skaters in the draft. He consistently creates scoring opportunities using his elite speed. He also displays good two-way qualities. Moore is the other half of a reliable penalty killing duo with Leonard. You’re always looking for guys that can play at his pace. It’s not an easy thing to come across, and it will allow him to keep up with the best players in the NHL.

He can be responsible for some really careless passing and overhandling the puck which will make you question his decision making, but when it works it becomes an instant highlight reel moment and he looks like a wizard. Smith giveth, and Smith taketh. That about sums up his game. As he matures, the hope is that he’ll develop a better understanding of when’s the right time and place for his more creative plays. Right now his shot lacks consistency in how accurate it is. However his dekes are among the best in the draft. Very nifty. Makes great use of toe drags, even if he tends to be a one-trick pony. His speed is adequate, but he’s elusive. He needs to improve his strength so he can fend off bigger players because right now he’s incapable of winning those battles. Good, smart kid off the ice. Smith is the most gifted player on his team, but Leonard and Moore make better use of their talent.

For a player that has been hyped as long as he has, Michkov is still raw. He won’t be ready to play in the NHL any time soon. You also won’t see an ounce of defensive play out of him. He cheats past the blueline. If the puck isn’t on his stick, he’s not doing anything to help the team. Initially he looked reinvigorated from his move to Sochi, but after coming out the gate with more motivation he mostly reverted back to his usual self. Poor body language, worthless off the puck, prone to becoming a pylon, subpar playmaking, trouble with winning board battles, trying to take four guys head on at once and losing. He also doesn’t have the speed to create lots of separation in transition. It’s a long list of things that make Michkov an annoying player to watch. NHL coaches will find him difficult to work with. After being labeled a “generational prospect” too early, Michkov just hasn’t taken the necessary jumps in his development. Still, there’s potential for upside if you’re patient with his timeline. If he can bulk up and play in the paint at the NHL level, he may be able to develop into a high end version of Brendan Gallagher.

A very projectable player at the center position. He’s shown his capability as a strong net-front presence. Doesn’t shy away from physical contact. Has a snappy release when shooting and passing. Great decision maker and handles the puck with confidence. He’s also an intelligent playmaker.

A little two-way buzzsaw that reads the game well, with an emphasis on little. His skating leaves a bit to be desired. I certainly wish he was a bit faster, but he does hustle. He’s on the smaller side and other players take advantage of it. He gets outmuscled off the puck often, and he’s not elusive enough to avoid contact. He plays at an extremely high compete level. Could develop into something akin to Brandon Hagel, but without the blazing speed.

At the start of the season it looked like Barlow was capable of doing more, but often wouldn’t. Barlow played very conservatively. As the year progressed, so did he. I like that he steadily improved. I think his upside is that of a middle sixer who can play on the PK, and chip in for some goals here and there. The 1st round usually has a few token “safe” picks, and Barlow is one of those guys.

The way he lumbers around the ice looks lethargic and slow. He’s big, but not physical. Has no real motor to speak of, and he’s not the best defensively. On the flip side, he’s highly skilled. He’s got silky smooth stickhandling and graceful shooting form. Also able to take away passing lanes with his wingspan. Wood is a bit of a paradox. He’s been incredibly productive as the youngest guy in the NCAA. His entire team’s offense practically runs through him. That is not an easy task for a freshman. He’s also still growing at a rapid pace, so I think it’s going to take time for him to adjust to his body. The ugly skating problems either sink him or they don’t, but he’s obviously one of the more talented guys in the draft even if we don’t see that side of him on every shift.

Fits the mold of a prototypical hockey player and should be a safe bet to play in the NHL. He plays simple, meat and potatoes hockey but with enough flash peppered in to get you out of your seat every once in a while. Skates well, has the size, and enough skill for textbook dekes. Secretly he might also be one of the best playmakers in the draft. Musty has a profile with lots of upside.

Physically outmatched at the SHL level. Opposing players completely shirk him off. Struggles to win board battles. On the other side of the coin, he’s much more comfortable playing against his peers since he can walk right through them. An exceptional skater. The first thing you’ll notice about him is his jaw dropping mobility. Has a very intriguing set of offense-oriented tools, but adjusting to the physicality of the NHL might be an uphill battle. Definitely a few years out.

Surprisingly fast at times which allows him to make powerful drives to the net, however he needs to get better with seizing those opportunities. Honzek is much bigger and stronger than his competition at the WHL level. He’s capable of swallowing guys along the boards. Naturally, he won’t be able to do that to the same extent in the NHL. A lot of his success right now comes from exploiting these mismatches. Which is a good thing, you want to see that. But whether he can do enough to create, without being so reliant on his body as a crutch, still remains to be seen. Honzek is raw, but his big and athletic 6’3” frame gives him lots of potential.

He seems to really synergize with his linemates, and that to me is his greatest strength as a player. I feel like you could play him with anyone and he’ll figure out how to make it function. He’s like an instant cure for line chemistry.

Perhaps the most “vanilla” center available in the draft. He’s perfectly average at everything he does. No weaknesses in his game, but his ceiling is limited. His high floor makes him a safe bet to carve a path as a full time NHLer, even if it winds up being in a bottom 6 role.

A bit of a tricky player to properly assess. Sale stood out in tournaments playing amongst peers, but looks average at best in the Czech Extraliga. Most players in the draft aren’t playing against men so it’s hard to fault Sale on that, but even then it’s a pretty subpar pro league. At heart he’s a playmaker and passing is his biggest strength however there are definitely times where the better move would be to shoot, but he defers instead. He has also struggled with his finishing ability. Defensive play and hustle are gaps in his game. Unfortunately he’s not the same player I saw in his D-1 year.

Quick skater with pure goal scoring instincts. I personally think he’ll be better suited as a winger at the NHL level since I don’t think he has the decision making ability to be a true center. But I can absolutely see him as a top 9 scoring threat that can be used on the power play. He’s usually in the right place at the right time. Still small at this stage and will need to pack on muscle before he can play in the NHL.

It’s pretty interesting having two draft eligible players like Ziemmer and Heidt playing on a line together. When watching them play, I find myself coming away more impressed with Ziemmer. He just has a bit more tenacity. Needs to improve defensively.

Put together a good season. He’s a premium playmaker. I still think he can be a bit sloppy, but he’s got another 2 years in the WHL to clean that up. Heidt has solid physical strength.

Active player in all zones. Hustles on every shift. Good on faceoffs. The type of guy that is sure to be a coach’s favourite. However he’s really small right now. His future success hinges on his ability to bulk up.

A decent option for teams wanting to pick up a smart playmaking center. Was a bit inconsistent throughout the season and isn’t much of a goal scorer. Foot speed could use some improvement.

Big defenseman with a heavy shot that he loves to use whenever possible. I think he’s somewhat of a throwback. His style of play looks like a defenseman from the 2000s, rather than now, but I mean that as a compliment. Reminds me a lot of Brent Seabrook. I have a lot of confidence in Bonk becoming an NHL regular.

Shutdown defender that plays like a pro. In fact I’d argue he’s the best defensive defenseman in the draft. He plays mature, poised hockey and has a great understanding of the fundamentals, the kind you’d expect out of a veteran. Lindstein has the speed to guard even the fastest of players.

There’s no doubt that Perron is undersized. But he also happens to be one of the best forecheckers in the draft. He doesn’t take breaks, and he doesn’t let his opponents take breaks either. His stick doesn’t quit. He’s always pressuring puck carriers with a flurry of jabs. It’s not a skillset you can ignore. Give him a couple years of hitting the gym in the NCAA, and I think you’ll end up with a really tenacious two way winger that can hang in the NHL.

Moves incredibly well. The way he pivots and glides is seamless. Comfortable playing the right side despite being left handed. Really likes to pepper the net with shots, and keep the goalie under pressure. There’s always going to be concern with defensemen his size and their effectiveness at the NHL level. Could mean it takes a while for him to find his footing, but he is talented and can run a power play. As a late first round pick, he’s a decent swing if you’re betting on pure upside.

Great skating and mobility in all directions. Sharp awareness. Brzustewicz can really slow things down and orchestrate the pace of play at will. All the tools you’d expect to see in a modern day defenseman. From my point of view, his upside to become a second pairing guy is apparent.

Had a season that can’t be ignored. Not only did Milic save Canada at the World Juniors and became a hero, he also played great all year in Seattle. Both the regular season, and the playoffs when he performed like a machine. And it wasn’t just this year. Looking back at his resume, he should have already been drafted. Milic was a victim of the shortened Covid season. But teams won’t be making that mistake again. He gets better every year, and while development isn’t necessarily linear, Milic has put together a body of work that makes him the surest thing at an NHL goalie in this draft.

Will engage physically with mixed results. Sometimes it’s effective, sometimes it leaves him out of position. I think more often than not, at the NHL level, that won’t fly. Not the sharpest QB on the power play. Has some skating concerns. His production makes him very intriguing and there’s obvious tools to mold here, but he might struggle to adapt at the next level.

A center with a good physical profile. Stramel plays a heavier power forward brand of hockey. He needs at least another two years in college to develop. I think his ceiling is a 3C, but he’s got a sturdy floor.

REMAINDER OF MY BOARD
33. RD Tom Willander
34. RW Nick Lardis
36. LD Dmitri Simashev
37. C/W William Whitelaw
38. LW Daniil But
39. RW Ethan Gauthier
40. C/W Coulson Pitre
41. LW Kalan Lind
42. C/LW Carson Rehkopf
43. C/W Gracyn Sawchyn
44. C Carey Terrance
45. C/W Otto Stenberg
46. C Noah Dower Nilsson
47. LD Caden Price
48. LD Etienne Morin
49. RW Mathieu Cataford
50. LW Aydar Suniev
52. LD Tanner Molendyk
53. C/W Luca Pinelli
54. RW Nico Myatovic
55. LD Tristan Bertucci
56. C Bradly Nadeau
58. LW/RW Alex Ciernik
59. C David Edstrom
60. C/W Felix Nilsson
61. RW Matthew Soto
62. C/W Angus MacDonell
63. G Trey Augustine
64. G Scott Ratzlaff
65. C/W Denver Barkey
66. C/W Easton Cowan
67. LW Ondrej Molnár
68. LD Arttu Kärki
69. RD Aram Minnetian
70. RD Beau Akey
71. RD Matthew Mania
72. RW Jesse Kiiskinen
73. RD Mazden Leslie
74. C Connor Levis
75. C Anton Wahlberg
76. RW Felix Unger Sörum
77. G Michael Hrabal
78. G Adam Gajan (OA)
79. C Danny Nelson
80. LW Jesse Nurmi
81. RD Gennadi Chaly

In a word - YIKES!

Postulates

Jun 7, 2022
PROSPECT RANKING
WRITE-UP

REMAINDER OF MY BOARD
33. RD Tom Willander
34. RW Nick Lardis
36. LD Dmitri Simashev
37. C/W William Whitelaw
38. LW Daniil But
39. RW Ethan Gauthier
40. C/W Coulson Pitre
41. LW Kalan Lind
42. C/LW Carson Rehkopf
43. C/W Gracyn Sawchyn
44. C Carey Terrance
45. C/W Otto Stenberg
46. C Noah Dower Nilsson
47. LD Caden Price
48. LD Etienne Morin
49. RW Mathieu Cataford
50. LW Aydar Suniev
52. LD Tanner Molendyk
53. C/W Luca Pinelli
54. RW Nico Myatovic
55. LD Tristan Bertucci
56. C Bradly Nadeau
58. LW/RW Alex Ciernik
59. C David Edstrom
60. C/W Felix Nilsson
61. RW Matthew Soto
62. C/W Angus MacDonell
63. G Trey Augustine
64. G Scott Ratzlaff
65. C/W Denver Barkey
66. C/W Easton Cowan
67. LW Ondrej Molnár
68. LD Arttu Kärki
69. RD Aram Minnetian
70. RD Beau Akey
71. RD Matthew Mania
72. RW Jesse Kiiskinen
73. RD Mazden Leslie
74. C Connor Levis
75. C Anton Wahlberg
76. RW Felix Unger Sörum
77. G Michael Hrabal
78. G Adam Gajan (OA)
79. C Danny Nelson
80. LW Jesse Nurmi
81. RD Gennadi Chaly
I think I have read multiple people say 2018 and 2019 would be the drafts since 2017 that fantilli wouldn't go number one in

Paywall but Wheeler's mailbag Wheeler's NHL Draft mailbag: Michkov's flaws? Fantilli and Carlsson vs. previous years? Sleepers?

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I think I have read multiple people say 2018 and 2019 would be the drafts since 2017 that fantilli wouldn't go number one in

Paywall but Wheeler's mailbag Wheeler's NHL Draft mailbag: Michkov's flaws? Fantilli and Carlsson vs. previous years? Sleepers?
Dahlin and Hughes are great players, especially in retrospect.

I think at the time of each respective draft, Fantilli would've been hyped more.

Perhaps with Dahlin it could've gone either way. But against Hughes, Fantilli is bigger and was dominant in the NCAA so I think he would've been drafted 1st.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Looks like the list of a man who really values high upside.
I don't know about that, Anton Wahlberg based off this year went from being unknown to wowing everyone with Raw but great talent. some rank him end of the 1st round or early 2nd but Mustos has him going in the 3rd.

• Wow
Reactions: dj Mahoney

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad