Confirmed with Link: Kevin Hayes to Pens

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
There's a thing we all do that's kinda tiresome. It goes something like this:

Penguins acquire a pick: "Dubas will just f*** it up anyways"

Penguins acquire a player: "Sullivan will just f*** them up anyways"

I think you can look at a second round pick and say that it's a theoretically good asset that Dubas may or may not use to either draft a good player or trade it later for a good player.

I think you can similarly look at Hayes and say that while he's not great he is certainly better than Jeff Carter and might actually improve the fortunes of the team however slightly.

If all we're ever gonna do on here is look at the downside of every move and ignore any potential upside then these discussions are gonna be kinda depressing after a while.

I say all this while fully admitting that there's a LOT of moves that Dubas has made that have zero upside. But this move is not one of those moves. And tbh so far Dubas has seemed pretty decent at drafting. Yager was a good pick last year and our picks this year look ok so far.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018

I think you can look at a second round pick and say that it's a theoretically good asset that Dubas may or may not use to either draft a good player or trade it later for a good player.

I think you can similarly look at Hayes and say that while he's not great he is certainly better than Jeff Carter and might actually improve the fortunes of the team however slightly.

If all we're ever gonna do on here is look at the downside of every move and ignore any potential upside then these discussions are gonna be kinda depressing after a while.

I say all this while fully admitting that there's a LOT of moves that Dubas has made that have zero upside. But this move is not one of those moves. And tbh so far Dubas has seemed pretty decent at drafting. Yager was a good pick last year and our picks this year look ok so far.
Honestly just feels like people lashing out for some reason. There is literally no reason to feel the need to add such low level of discourse that isn't funny, just annoying lol.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Honestly just feels like people lashing out for some reason. There is literally no reason to feel the need to add such low level of discourse that isn't funny, just annoying lol.
I wanted to be clear and lump myself into it because I've caught myself in that negativity gravity well too and have found myself posting things that I later regret lol.

I have no problem with calling out blatantly bad moves as such. Not every move has even theoretical upside. Something like Jack Johnson was clearly gonna be a disaster from the moment the ink went dry on that contract.

But a free second round pick and a guy who is better than the guy he's replacing? What on earth is wrong with that? This is exactly what the doctor ordered and I hope Dubas finds a way to keep adding picks and prospects while not sending them out.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Like, I get that this team's coaching, FO, and scouting/drafting/development areas have been dogshit, but you can't just turn your nose up at picks. You still gotta try and hope to get lucky.

Also, weekly reminder to continue nuking this team's scouting/development personnel. Awful, awful decisions pro and amateur for like a decade.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
Like, I get that this team's coaching, FO, and scouting/drafting/development areas have been dogshit, but you can't just turn your nose up at picks. You still gotta try and hope to get lucky.

Also, weekly reminder to continue nuking this team's scouting/development personnel. Awful, awful decisions pro and amateur for like a decade.
Pretty sure the amateur scouting has changed substantially since Rutherford.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Capfriendly buyout calculator has the buyout being 50/50 with the Flyers. $2,238,095 for 24/25 and 25/26 then $666,667 for 26/27 and 27/28.
Thanks. That sucks, if they were forced with the entire buyout that would be a no brainer.

Gonna miss capfriendly, 1 more day left.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh

I mean what am I suppose to think: Sully will get the best out of him? I would not trust him with McDavid at this point, not to be negative but..

I mean what am I suppose to think: Sully will get the best out of him? I would not trust him with McDavid at this point, not to be negative but..

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011

Agreed but the scouting doesn't seem so bad lately. I like most of the picks we made this draft based on what Jesse and others have said about them, and Yager seemed like a good pick last year and is progressing well.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Agreed but the scouting doesn't seem so bad lately. I like most of the picks we made this draft based on what Jesse and others have said about them, and Yager seemed like a good pick last year and is progressing well.
I think they kinda lucked out with Benson and Yager being available right when they were picking (Benson obviously going a pick before), but yeah, Yager's the best prospect we've had on paper for many, many years. He's not a building block but may end up being a nice supporting cast guy for the building blocks this team's gonna be drafting shortly.

Reactions: Pancakes

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
Ilyin looks like if he learns how to skate he could be really good.

Last edited:

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
Also a contract that isn’t too expensive and the length of the deal isn’t restrictive for a trade deadline deal.

He regains any sort of value and this team is out of it, just ship him off even if it is for a later round pick.

Literally the only way this is a negative trade is for the fans that are holding out some long lost hope of winning another Stanley cup.

GilbertSeinfeld

Mar 4, 2024
Quinn: "I coached Kevin Hayes in New York."

Me:

maxresdefault.jpg

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004

There's a lot of truth to this. Hearing the same complaints over and over grows tiresome even if the reasoning is usually pretty solid (the HC and how he deploys the roster not to mention the fact that he sorta runs the whole-ass team IS kind of an issue) and a little lazy. I'm guilty... we're all guilty. Even the ones trying to pretend like they are these stoic bastions of truth or something.

But that said... I'll still make room on the hate train for you next season. I won't even judge.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
It'll depend on injuries in the top-six. If we have a injury gnome year then he'll get moved up a lot and the points will go up.
If he's stuck on the 3rd line all year with 65-70% D-zone starts then it'll be tougher.
If he is stuck in the D zone for 70% of his shifts. We should never have grabbed him.

I know how Sullivan works but give Crosby and Malkin some d Zone starts.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Capfriendly buyout calculator has the buyout being 50/50 with the Flyers. $2,238,095 for 24/25 and 25/26 then $666,667 for 26/27 and 27/28.
It also extends the RTS slot on us.

I wouldn’t care about it other than that, I was advocating for the Flyers to buy him out instead of trading him

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
What happens if we buyout Hayes? does the Flyers pay for the entire buyout against their cap and not us?
We split the buyout 50/50 with the Flyers and honestly if we want to we could trade him 50% retained at the deadline for 2 playoff runs or let's say we make it in we can buy him out for a stupid cheap cap hit at under 700k.

Reactions: 66-30-33

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
After thinking about it, I at least like Hayes’ playmaking ability for our bottom-6 and think it could potentially open up more scoring opportunities.

Keep in mind, I’m comparing him to Carter, who didn’t have too much playmaking left in his arsenal when we got him.

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
If he is stuck in the D zone for 70% of his shifts. We should never have grabbed him.

I know how Sullivan works but give Crosby and Malkin some d Zone starts.
I'm a big believer in just giving more O-zone starts to whoever's going on a particular day.
If Malkin's line is ghosting, don't give them 70% O-zone starts for the game. Let there be some accountability.

For example last year when we had that brief spell where DOC-Eller-Z was on fire, that is where you reward them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad