Confirmed with Link: Kevin Hayes to Pens

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Cant complain about a free pick along with a potentially productive player
Nothing is free... 3.5 for 2 more years.

l922Qob.gif

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
if this is the direction why bother giving Sid, geno, letang contracts and why not trade them, thats how you collect assests (Jake trade for that matter was OK in theory) not by getting one second and still tease us with Sid and others...I don't understand, just blow everything up for some real assets and prospects, all you do with these medicre assts picking is making misery long long term.
Nah I think it’s keeping a competitive enough team that you can either trade guys off of or make an add at the deadline depending on where they are.

If you straight up sell and blow it up with Sid that’s just a disservice to him.

BeaverTail

Oct 9, 2014
Not sure why people are pretending Hayes is some extremely old useless player. He just turned 32 last month. He is a serviceable 3rd line center. Put up 54 points a year ago. Id love to see Eller moved for another asset. Getting the extra draft pick could be packaged to possibly move Graves and that gives cap savings.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'm not sure how anyone could be complaining about this trade.

He's not making an absurd amount of money, $3.5M for 2 years. The best case scenario is he has a season like he did in 2022-2023 and we trade him for more draft capital or keep him for another season as our third line center.

We get a free 2nd round pick for next season and we strengthen our depth at center. Ponomarev is 22, it's not like he's a 26 year old being blocked from coming up and contributing. This is a good move. This is something Yzerman would do and I'm all for it. Low risk, high reward.

Also both Ponomarev and Hayes can shift to the wing as well, it's not just C or nothing for them.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Nah I think it’s keeping a competitive enough team that you can either trade guys off of or make an add at the deadline depending on where they are.

If you straight up sell and blow it up with Sid that’s just a disservice to him.
I understand general idea, but this would work 2018, 2019 when sid and geno could have carried water, not now, they need decent players that can drive...just watch, unless something drastically change (Coach) it will be hard to watch

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
I understand that but that never works in any facets of life, thats something that would have worked 2018, 2019, now this will be just one sad story for a while
Well the alternative is what then? Go all-in to make the playoffs, burn assets and lose in R1 to the beasts of the East?
Getting any assets in years you're destined to lose in is a W by default. The more, the better. Three 2nds in this draft is a very good thing.

LiffLaff

Crazy? Me?
Feb 22, 2010
Vardal
Hayes is not a player I particularly like, as he's slow, and not physical at all, but i still don't mind this trade really. Should be a half decent bottom six center for us, and gives us another lottery ticket for next year, and who knows, if he does well you might be able to get another pick out of this at the deadline the year his deal is up. As for blowing it all up, Hextall pretty much made that impossible by giving everyone and their mother legacy contracts with trade protection.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
If I'm Dubas, at the presser, I'd merely say:

"You people were going to bitch no matter what I did. No matter what I say, half will be happy, half with piss and moan. You get nothing. f*** off"

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Damnded of Dubas does damned if he doesn't.

He got a 2nd rounder for 2 years of a player at 3.5

I would love to retain 50% and send him off elsewhere for a 3rd in the future.
Are we even certain he's gonna be that bad? He had 56 points in 2022-23, on a trash team with defensive-minded Torts as coach.
Eller improved from his previous season here, at age 34. Letang was better at 36 than 35. Carter was better at 39 than 38.

Hayes is 32.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Are we even certain he's gonna be that bad? He had 56 points in 2022-23, on a trash team with defensive-minded Torts as coach.
Eller improved from his previous season here, at age 34. Letang was better at 36 than 35. Carter was better at 39 than 38.

Hayes is 32.
He definitely could bounce back.

Over a full season with pp2 duties. 15 goals 25 assists with let's say bad D is 100% possible.

We took him for a 2nd and for that I am down to watch him be good or bad.

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

Ad

Upcoming events

• Bolivia vs Panama
    Bolivia vs Panama
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $175.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • USA vs Uruguay
    USA vs Uruguay
    Wagers: 2