Confirmed with Link: Kevin Hayes to Pens

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
If this is the plan to move Malkin to wing, I don’t get it…he’s just as slow as Geno and actually worse…someone enlighten me… mean if he’s taking Eller’s place, fine…better have a trade for Eller…otherwise yuck

Reactions: ncm7772

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Good move. Don't care if he sucks, and he does, this is what bad teams should be doing. Kind of a head-scratcher as to why St. Louis did it tbh, they're also bad. :laugh:

Reactions: Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Looks like those of you who wanted to take on contracts for picks got their wish.

Sure, I mean it’s better than doing nothing if you’ve given up on the season and rebuilding like Chicago did… as I’ve said, all part of the plan to be extremely old and get a top 5 pick next season lol

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
If it feels like a move rebuilding teams do, it is because this is a rebuilding team.

Maybe rebuilding with a small r.

But, come to reality as to what this team is. And is not.

Reactions: Freeptop

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
It feels like a cap dump which is a rebuilding move but Sully will still play the hell out of him. I wish we would just pick a direction.

Reactions: cygnus47

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
People complaining about "we're bringing in an old player" when the point of the deal was obviously to get another high draft pick for taking a bad deal.

This team is rebuilding, even if it's a soft "rebuild". Dubas pretty much explicitly said so. Better come to terms with that now.

It feels like a cap dump which is a rebuilding move but Sully will still play the hell out of him. I wish we would just pick a direction.

This deal is literally them picking a direction.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
People complaining about "we're bringing in an old player" when the point of the deal was obviously to get another high draft pick for taking a bad deal.

This team is rebuilding, even if it's a soft "rebuild". Dubas pretty much explicitly said so. Better come to terms with that now.

Yea.. look at the Caps. That’s our future now. They wanted to make the playoffs if possible but mostly stockpile assets the last couple years. That’s where we are now. And now look at the Caps, they actually have assets to do stuff again.

Bishop7979

Sep 9, 2005
Pens get a 2nd next year. Dubas is adding picks and I still think smith will be gone for a third. Malkin has to be moving to wing is my guess. Hayes Malkin and Rakell.
So move blunting away from Geno, keep rackell away from sid, and put a guy who didn't crack 30pts as second line center.... These all sound like Sullivan decisions .... Checks out.

If they are serious and want the most production from each line but don't add/sub anything else:

Doc, sid, rak
Bunt, Geno, rust
Puusty Hayes smith
Poulin/pool-party eller acari

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
All Hayes would do for the team if he scores well (and doesn't get traded again) is probably get them knocked out to Carolina or NYR in R1.
If he sucks, the Pens draft higher in 2025.
What is there to fear? Did you actually believe that there was a shred of a chance of contending?

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh

if this is the direction why bother giving Sid, geno, letang contracts and why not trade them, thats how you collect assests (Jake trade for that matter was OK in theory) not by getting one second and still tease us with Sid and others...I don't understand, just blow everything up for some real assets and prospects, all you do with these medicre assts picking is making misery long long term.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
All Hayes would do for the team if he scores well (and doesn't get traded again) is probably get them knocked out to Carolina or NYR in R1.
If he sucks, the Pens draft higher in 2025.
What is there to fear? Did you actually believe that there was a shred of a chance of contending?
I do hope making playoffs every year, with half dead Malkin, Sid and Geno on decent contracts you should be able to make playoffs every year...

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
if this is the direction why bother giving Sid, geno, letang contracts and why not trade them, thats how you collect assests (Jake trade for that matter was OK in theory) not by getting one second and still tease us with Sid and others...I don't understand, just blow everything up for some real assets and prospects, all you do with these medicre assts picking is making misery long long term.
Because Dubas has to weigh the demands from ownership to keep trying while at the same time knowing the right thing to do here is rebuild.
So he sneaks in deals like this.
Of course blowing it up is the right move, but FSG would block that.

JRS91

Jul 4, 2010
I'm not sure how anyone could be complaining about this trade.

He's not making an absurd amount of money, $3.5M for 2 years. The best case scenario is he has a season like he did in 2022-2023 and we trade him for more draft capital or keep him for another season as our third line center.

We get a free 2nd round pick for next season and we strengthen our depth at center. Ponomarev is 22, it's not like he's a 26 year old being blocked from coming up and contributing. This is a good move. This is something Yzerman would do and I'm all for it. Low risk, high reward.

Reactions: Rave7215

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Because Dubas has to weigh the demands from ownership to keep trying while at the same time knowing the right thing to do here is rebuild.
So he sneaks in deals like this.
Of course blowing it up is the right move, but FSG would block that.
I understand that but that never works in any facets of life, thats something that would have worked 2018, 2019, now this will be just one sad story for a while

Ad

Upcoming events

• Bolivia vs Panama
    Bolivia vs Panama
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $75.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • USA vs Uruguay
    USA vs Uruguay
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $682.00