Proposal: Kevin Fiala to New Jersey

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
To NJ:
Kevin Fiala

To Minnesota:
Pavel Zacha
Janne Kuokkanen
2022 2nd round pick
Without disparaging a player I know very little about, I don't think we'd want Kuokkanen. Minnesota's top-9 is relatively set and they've had success recently promoting AHL guys into 4th line spots.

I might be largely alone on this island but I do find Zacha sort of interesting as part of a return for Fiala. I have no idea what he'll need on a contract extension and I realize he's...uh, polarizing, among Devils fans, but he might be a good change of scenery candidate. He'd take Fiala's spot on a presumptive secondary scoring line with Rossi and Boldy, and he might do very well there... or he might be a disaster. I genuinely don't know what to make of him anymore.

New Jersey's 1st is too high to include in the deal, but I'm not sure their 2nd is a good enough secondary piece to risk rolling the dice on Zacha. Guerin might just prefer prospects.

Rydev

Jan 14, 2022
After looking, I see Fiala is an RFA after this year. Even then, that value seems pretty low. Especially to a team where Pavel Zacha would be playing under a coach he didn't quite work out with, in John Hynes.

Id expect a 1st from any team is going to Nashville in any deal for Fiala, but that's just a guess

Ledge And Dairy

Without disparaging a player I know very little about, I don't think we'd want Kuokkanen. Minnesota's top-9 is relatively set and they've had success recently promoting AHL guys into 4th line spots.

I might be largely alone on this island but I do find Zacha sort of interesting as part of a return for Fiala. I have no idea what he'll need on a contract extension and I realize he's...uh, polarizing, among Devils fans, but he might be a good change of scenery candidate. He'd take Fiala's spot on a presumptive secondary scoring line with Rossi and Boldy, and he might do very well there... or he might be a disaster. I genuinely don't know what to make of him anymore.

New Jersey's 1st is too high to include in the deal, but I'm not sure their 2nd is a good enough secondary piece to risk rolling the dice on Zacha. Guerin might just prefer prospects.
The only thing I would be worried about here is that you may be repeating the Buchnevich for Blais and a 2nd trade

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
The only thing I would be worried about here is that you may be repeating the Buchnevich for Blais and a 2nd trade
In the end I doubt it's worth the risk. Minnesota's done well enough with amateur scouting and drafting lately that they're probably better off prioritizing picks than trying to find a cheaper Fiala replacement.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
If Fiala is the cap casualty in Minny then I imagine they're going for picks/prospects in return.

1st + good prospect as a base for Fiala sounds more appropriate.

Reactions: MuckOG

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
If Fiala is the cap casualty in Minny then I imagine they're going for picks/prospects in return.

1st + good prospect as a base for Fiala sounds more appropriate.

I would love a deal that included Holtz.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
After looking, I see Fiala is an RFA after this year. Even then, that value seems pretty low. Especially to a team where Pavel Zacha would be playing under a coach he didn't quite work out with, in John Hynes.

Id expect a 1st from any team is going to Nashville in any deal for Fiala, but that's just a guess

Fiala has played for Minnesota for several years now, but if a team wants to send us a first as part of a Fiala deal I'm all for it.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005

Are you confusing Minnesota and Nashville?

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Rydev

Jan 14, 2022
Fiala has played for Minnesota for several years now, but if a team wants to send us a first as part of a Fiala deal I'm all for it.
My mistake, I had Nashville on my mind after checking the Predators standings, along with him having played there.

Thats funny though lol

Reactions: Predsanddead24

Prior

Jan 18, 2020
Pretty certain the Wild will be after the best future piece they can get with as minimal money coming back tied to it as possible.

Will be challenging based on type of deal Fiala may be starring down but…

saywut

Jun 11, 2009
Holtz just works so well 1:1 in the offseason, I can't find a 3:1 deal I can like from Minnesota's perspective. 4:2 would make it a little more tolerable, like Fiala + Gaudreau for Tatar/Johnsson + McLeod + Stillman + 2022 2nd, even then I don't really like it, but those pieces do make sense. Tatar/Johnsson as a 1-year stop-gap replacement for Fiala that fits under the cap while Beckman hopefully develops(cap space used for Boldy's next deal in 2023), McLeod replaces Sturm and gives us a weapon in the FO dot, bonus that he's RH and should be cheap for a few years, Stillman gives us a decent RH forward prospect from a draft we drafted a goalie and 2 D with our first 3 picks.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
As inevitable as it might be, losing Fiala still hurts. We're going to need NJ to hurt a little bit too.

If Holtz isn't in the cards, I don't think Jersey should be in Plans A through maybe H.

Reactions: saywut

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Zacha would probably instantly be their best center if they chose to move him there.

No he wouldn't. He might be the third best center if he can still play center in the first place.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad