Kessel's Cup Day in Toronto today

Status
Not open for further replies.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
How many years did he live with bozak? They are buddies and I'm sure tyler would love to see the cup sitting on the coffee table in their old condo. Plus I'm sure there are some other leafs players and non players that have never seen the cup in person that are very happy phil is bringing the holy grail to the 6.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
Good for him, even if it is out of spite. The city deserves it for how the media treated him and how imbeciles ate it up. He definitely was no Dougie but he is a really good player.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Good for him, even if it is out of spite. The city deserves it for how the media treated him and how imbeciles ate it up. He definitely was no Dougie but he is a really good player.

You believe he brought the Cup here out of spite?

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
You believe he brought the Cup here out of spite?

No,

What I'm saying is that IF he brought it here out of spite I would still support him because the city deserves it. He was treated very poorly here and it went outside of his game on the ice. He was criticized for the way he looks, for the way he talks, for whom he lived with, for how he spent his free time, etc. Absolutely, the city deserves it IF he brought it here out of spite (I'm aware that's very likely NOT the case).

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Great guy, class act as always.

What a monster of a playoff performance too considering he played most of it with an injured hand.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Nobody knows his true intentions and agenda but it comes across as rubbing the cities noses in his success, knowing full well how long its been for the City wanting and longing to win it.

If he wanted to involve the city in his success he would have had some public event displaying it, in a way to thank the fans for his support over the years.

Other players bringing it on tour involve the public in their joy and success. Its a bit odd he doesn't take it home.

What a nasty and cynical view of a guy doing charity work.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
The bitterness from some posters in this thread is absolutely hilarious :laugh: Just admit that you were wrong about Phil, or don't, either way no one really cares if you personally think something as ridiculous as him being selfish for bringing it to Toronto. And no, not all players have a public event with the cup, MANY players have private parties, just like Phil.

I'm happy for Phil, and even more happy that he enjoyed his time here enough to consider it home.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
I think he's made Toronto his off-season home since being traded from the city. The city wouldn't feel like home to him if it weren't for special people that he could trust and help him set down some roots here. Understandable that he would want to take one of his days with the Cup to share it with those people. The fact that he made it a private event suggests to me that he was mindful of the optics of the situation and was being very respectful of the Leafs fan base.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
No,

What I'm saying is that IF he brought it here out of spite I would still support him because the city deserves it. He was treated very poorly here and it went outside of his game on the ice. He was criticized for the way he looks, for the way he talks, for whom he lived with, for how he spent his free time, etc. Absolutely, the city deserves it IF he brought it here out of spite (I'm aware that's very likely NOT the case).

All of this is true, except there is no way he's bringing it here out of spite. The guy spent years of his life here, and actually consider it home.

Breakingbad28

Feb 3, 2011
Nobody knows his true intentions and agenda but it comes across as rubbing the cities noses in his success, knowing full well how long its been for the City wanting and longing to win it.

If he wanted to involve the city in his success he would have had some public event displaying it, in a way to thank the fans for his support over the years.

Other players bringing it on tour involve the public in their joy and success. Its a bit odd he doesn't take it home.

Or maybe he wants to celebrate with his friends here in Toronto, he did live here for 6 years.

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto
I think he's made Toronto his off-season home since being traded from the city. The city wouldn't feel like home to him if it weren't for special people that he could trust and help him set down some roots here. Understandable that he would want to take one of his days with the Cup to share it with those people. The fact that he made it a private event suggests to me that he was mindful of the optics of the situation and was being very respectful of the Leafs fan base.

His girlfriend is from here, probably made a lot of friends here, and is just celebrating with them.

Though, when I read the thread title I thought he brought it here to kinda laugh in the face of the Leafs.

Leaf Shaker

Aug 25, 2005
It's his right to do whatever he wants for his day with the Stanley Cup.

Give it a rest folks.

JadedLeaf

Nov 14, 2007
Saskatchewan

Northern Dancer

The future ain't what it used to be.
Mar 2, 2002
5 K from the ACC

Good. It had no business being public when the Leafs didn't win it.

I wonder how his hometown feels about this stunt?

So glad he's off the team.

I'm laying by my pool in Sunny Kelowna, BC so it doesn't impact me what Kessel does with the Cup.

Kelowna is actually waiting for local kid Justin Schultz to bring the Cup home here to his hometown when his time with the Cup is on docket and on tour. :)

I've been saying this for weeks to my GF.....it just seems so selfish

Here I put posts up thanking ppl and talking to others with no responses ever.....today I say something, echoing the sentiments of others and I get the questions??
Yes, it seems selfish...like a kid who comes over to play and has candy....just for him.....
You played here long enough to know how rabid the fanbase is with the cup...and you bring it here to do what exactly?? Not sharing it with those who supported you throughout your time in TO...
Just seems a little

Yup. :shakehead:shakehead:shakehead

I am sure there will be some deleting by those who have that perk.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad