Value of: Kent Johnson to TB

5cotland

NFR
Jan 23, 2015
Scotland
Tampa is in need of some younger talent and Johnson had a down year and even spent some time in the AHL last year after putting up 40 points the year prior. What would be a realistic value for him? Would something around Perbix and 2 2nds be of interest?
What the actual hell is this trade offer? 😂😂

A bottom line dman and 2x nothing picks for a top 5 draft pick 3 years ago who has had 1 struggled season.

This is bold OP I will give you that but also played your hand that you have no clue on value.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
What's Johnson's upside looking like? Been v curious about this because I frequently see him left out of convos when talking about blue chip Jackets prospects.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
What's Johnson's upside looking like? Been v curious about this because I frequently see him left out of convos when talking about blue chip Jackets prospects.
He's not really a prospect at this point, and he's always been a weird case. He's got elite hands and vision but nothing else is better than average, if not poor like his speed.

He had a decent 40-point rookie season on a bad team with a poor coach who liked him, then a dreadful sophomore season on a bad team with a worse coach who did not like him. He was never put in the position to use his gifts so he was a nonfactor, and the organization was in such disarray that even the time in Cleveland was wasted. He's probably never going to be a center, but he could be a good wing. Got to think he's penciled in at 2/3LW the next couple of years. The upcoming year is critical for him, especially as he tries to bounce back from shoulder surgery.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
He's not really a prospect at this point, and he's always been a weird case. He's got elite hands and vision but nothing else is better than average, if not poor like his speed.

He had a decent 40-point rookie season on a bad team with a poor coach who liked him, then a dreadful sophomore season on a bad team with a worse coach who did not like him. He was never put in the position to use his gifts so he was a nonfactor, and the organization was in such disarray that even the time in Cleveland was wasted. He's probably never going to be a center, but he could be a good wing. Got to think he's penciled in at 2/3LW the next couple of years. The upcoming year is critical for him, especially as he tries to bounce back from shoulder surgery.
His shot is incredibly underrated. His physical traits arent high end but his IQ and how he see's the ice very much are. I think hes one of those guys who when he breaks out will do so it a big way, just needs a coach that will let him make his mistakes and learn from them

Last edited:

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Still has top line potential. Young and still needs to add weight/strength. A bit of a down year last year after a 40 pt rookie year. Has had very little PP time so most of his work is 5v5. Just needs time and a system to work within. Should be a long term top 6 wing (I don't see center in his CBJ future) and would think he has at least ppg potential and top line upside. While his numbers were down last year, the underlying metrics weren't as bad as many of us thought his year was.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I don't think it's a matter of mistakes or coaching, he really doesn't make many mistakes. It's just about strength. If he gets strong he can be an elite player.
He expirements, those types of players always do. He just happens to be one of those guys that learns pretty quick and doesnt just keep forcing the same thing over and over.

I hate that a couple turnovers for a kid equals stapled to the bench when in the same game Johnny could have 5 and not miss a shift. So many coaches do it too. Sometimes a Bjorkstrand comes out the other end and sometimes guys lose what made them special in the 1st place and struggle to find their way in the league

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth
Not to completely derail this conversation, but would a Askarov for Johnson trade fit both teams' needs?

Reactions: Dog

ameselare

Mar 30, 2024
vancouver
I don't think it's a matter of mistakes or coaching, he really doesn't make many mistakes. It's just about strength. If he gets strong he can be an elite player.
I saw him out and about here in the Vancouver area a couple months ago and stood pretty close to him. He is still very skinny and I highly doubt he is 6'0" or 6'1" or whatever height he's listed at. I think this will take patience, his body type is such that he will be able to put on weight and muscle easier as he gets older (that's obviously true for everyone, but a bigger deal for guys whose "default" state is "skinny").

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
Not to completely derail this conversation, but would a Askarov for Johnson trade fit both teams' needs?
On paper, maybe, but Columbus a major goalie question to work through this season and Askarov would further complicate that. They've got their ostensible goalies of the future ready to go and an older headcase still under contract that they can't move. Just as there's major questions Johnson needs to work through, too. Columbus probably sits tight for a while yet, especially with Waddell being slow and deliberate in his decision-making.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Tampa is in need of some younger talent and Johnson had a down year and even spent some time in the AHL last year after putting up 40 points the year prior. What would be a realistic value for him? Would something around Perbix and 2 2nds be of interest?
I imagine he is off the trade market. Now that new coach in Colombus

garmonbozia

Jan 10, 2006
I tried highlighting the text to see if Isaac Howard was written in a white font. Not sure how he hasn't entered the convo at all followed by some excuse why he's not available. :rolleyes:
As a Lightning fan I think Howard would definitely be available as a component (not even necessarily the biggest component) in a trade for Johnson. I don't think he'd move the needle much for Columbus in entertaining a trade for Johnson barring Johnson asking out. Even then, Columbus could probably get a better package elsewhere.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I tried highlighting the text to see if Isaac Howard was written in a white font. Not sure how he hasn't entered the convo at all followed by some excuse why he's not available. :rolleyes:

He hasn't entered the convo because no Jackets fan is going to be enticed to move KJ by Isaac Howard's presence in a deal. He's just not a piece they'd want. Maybe something with Geekie+ would get the convo going, but regardless the Jackets aren't at a point where they would move the player.

Reactions: Viqsi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad