Value of: Kent Johnson to TB

Point21

Oct 23, 2018
Tampa is in need of some younger talent and Johnson had a down year and even spent some time in the AHL last year after putting up 40 points the year prior. What would be a realistic value for him? Would something around Perbix and 2 2nds be of interest?

Youngguns80

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
Tampa is in need of some younger talent and Johnson had a down year and even spent some time in the AHL last year after putting up 40 points the year prior. What would be a realistic value for him? Would something around Perbix and 2 2nds be of interest?

Appreciate the interest but I don’t think their is anything on Tampa that you would want to give up to get. Also, I think he will pop this year and be part of the CBJ core.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Young player on bad team had a bad year, sounds like to perfect time to trade him for scraps... :laugh:. Are we supposed to ignore the 40 point year and the upside here? Columbus itself needs talent and with goal scoring centers they've drafted in Fantilli/Lindstrom they'll need playmaking wingers to go along with them.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus

Have you considered why Columbus would ever do anything like this? Johnson’s value is incredibly high…

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Just because the devils and the Sabres gave up a recent high draft pick for cheap doesn’t mean Columbus will also
NJ has legit NHL calibre players who did recently make the PO. Buffalo is stacked with similiar style of players (small and skilled), so moving their prospects out for help now, I can see that.

Johnson will be onto his 3rd HC in the NHL this upcoming season. Not like he is redundant skill/size wise on the CBJ roster. But, he's a guy, similar to Zegras who needs to learn to play a 200 foot game or he needs to put up monster points to justify weak defensive play.

Waddell has no loyalty to him. So, Johnson needs to step his game up or Waddell will move off him. Pretty much a make/break season for Johnson in CBJ. And we still don't know who their HC is going to be.

One of those college kids who signed and burned an elc year early, thus makes him ineligible for an OS. So, the CBJ will grind him on a new contract I suspect.

Reactions: Forge

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2011
I just revisited the TB roster and was reminded how thin it’s gotten once you get past the top 4 - maybe 5 - forwards. They certainly could use a young forward with upside at a low AAV, but frankly they don’t have much to offer the Blue Jackets.

Reactions: Ciao

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I just revisited the TB roster and was reminded how thin it’s gotten once you get past the top 4 - maybe 5 - forwards. They certainly could use a young forward with upside at a low AAV, but frankly they don’t have much to offer the Blue Jackets.
I admit I really like Cernak, but I would be hesitant to give up a KJ or Chinakhov for him, especially after Waddell discarded most of the depth (and what with the Laine situation being what it is...).

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
I admit I really like Cernak, but I would be hesitant to give up a KJ or Chinakhov for him, especially after Waddell discarded most of the depth (and what with the Laine situation being what it is...).
Now if Tampa was desperate to move some cap out and wanted to deal Cirelli? I’m all ears.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
Last I heard Cirelli hadn't actually taken that extra step forward everyone was assuming he'd get, so I'd be inclined to just keep and keep developing Sillinger. I mean, I wouldn't object to Cirelli, but not for that kind of price.
But it allows you to bring in a veteran at the same position and use Sillinger to upgrade elsewhere. Can’t play kids at every position at the same time.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
But it allows you to bring in a veteran at the same position and use Sillinger to upgrade elsewhere. Can’t play kids at every position at the same time.
True, but that was the rationale for signing Monahan. I mean, unless you think you can trade Sillinger for, like, a Pelech or similar and still have the team come out even or better for it...

ameselare

Mar 30, 2024
vancouver
You guys have a lot of forwards, many of those forwards being quite young. Out of KJ, Sillinger, Brindley, Marchenko, Dumais, etc - who's most likely to end up on the trade block? Operating under the fair assumption that Fantilli and Lindstrom are untouchables.

edit: And what are your needs that you would look to be addressing in a trade?

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
You guys have a lot of forwards, many of those forwards being quite young. Out of KJ, Sillinger, Brindley, Marchenko, Dumais, etc - who's most likely to end up on the trade block? Operating under the fair assumption that Fantilli and Lindstrom are untouchables.

I’d say all of them but Brindley (Fantilli’s buddy, fantastic bulldog himself) and Marchenko are likely trade fodder. I’d be surprised, frankly, if Dumais isn’t trade bait already. But last year was such a waste of everyone’s time with a coach who couldn’t seem to use players to their strengths, so we don’t know. A good coach who can put players in places to succeed will go a long way to determining who the core is and isnt.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

I very much want a second-pairing-or-better shutdown blueliner, but Waddell seems to have decided we're fine with just having JMFJ as our veteran backup for two or three kids and that we'll be otherwise injury-free or something, so who the hell knows.

Warh1ppy

Feb 14, 2018
At his worst, Kent Johnson projects to be a point producing 3rd line pivot. At worst.

I just don't see anything that Tampa has that moves the needle for CBJ at all that they'd want to get rid of a 5th overall centre drafted barely 3 years ago who was trending very well prior to his injury.

CBJ has such an insane glut of quality centre prospects it's insane and if they wanted to shed one of Sillinger, Johnson, Fantilli, Brindley or LIndstrom they'd get a much better haul or specific targeted return than what Tampa could capably offer I'd think.

That's also only within the argument that CBJ would want to shed youth on cheap contracts over vets that are taking up more of a larger cap hit.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
NJ has legit NHL calibre players who did recently make the PO. Buffalo is stacked with similiar style of players (small and skilled), so moving their prospects out for help now, I can see that.

Johnson will be onto his 3rd HC in the NHL this upcoming season. Not like he is redundant skill/size wise on the CBJ roster. But, he's a guy, similar to Zegras who needs to learn to play a 200 foot game or he needs to put up monster points to justify weak defensive play.

We've never had a big goals against problem with Kent Johnson, he's a smart player, he's superficially like Zegras but he doesn't do stupid stuff. The bigger issue with KJ is that he just isn't strong or fast. He has to get stronger and faster to unlock his game.

At his worst, Kent Johnson projects to be a point producing 3rd line pivot. At worst.

I just don't see anything that Tampa has that moves the needle for CBJ at all that they'd want to get rid of a 5th overall centre drafted barely 3 years ago who was trending very well prior to his injury.

Valuable player regardless, but he is probably not a center. Not nearly enough strength.

Ad

Ad

Ad