Keep Brown or Let him go?

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Michael Carcone $775K 29 pts
Carcone only finished with 29 points. I’m surprised. He came out of the gate like gangbusters. I wanted the Oilers to take a look at him last off season as cheap depth. He can really fire a puck.

Edit - NOT for the PK. Obviously.

Sheikyerbouti

ShakeyerMcBooty
Nov 4, 2006
Van isle
Offer 1M per to Janmark, Brown, Desharnais, Perry,Foegele, Carrick

2M to Henrique.

Walk away if they don't take it..

I agree the Oilers need to play hardball. There is an clear opportunity here and we should be figuring out who is willing to take less. Jannmark did last year, I think Brown would/should this year

That said, Bjugstad left over less than a million. A former player told me that at the end of your career when you are financially secure, every 500K you leave on the table to win, could change a friend of family members lives. We are just thinking about what is best for the players and teams

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
I do think he mailed it in. You don’t think he was a healthy scratch for the entire LA series for a reason?

A player plays a handful of good games and posters here act like he’s been great all along.

It’s fools gold. And some are arguing to give him $2m per year. It’s ridiculous.

Warren Foegele has been good the last couple games too. Let’s resign him too while we are at it and run back the exact same team.
I can't believe someone could have watched Conor Brown play this year and assert that he wasn't trying at all.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
If you think Brown only played “okay” last night I have to question your hockey sense in general
No, I think he’s been “okay” in these playoffs. One great game is great. But you don’t sign players based on that. A penny over $1m for Connor Brown is a mistake.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Offer 1M per to Janmark, Brown, Desharnais, Perry,Foegele, Carrick

2M to Henrique.

Walk away if they don't take it..
May as well not even make Henrique an offer if you are offering onky 2M max. What a waste of everyone's time that would be.

No, I think he’s been “okay” in these playoffs. One great game is great. But you don’t sign players based on that. A penny over $1m for Connor Brown is a mistake.
Brown owes us a bit after his regular season underperformance. I know that doesn't mean anything really, but he owes us a year at league minimum for it to me.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
May as well not even make Henrique an offer if you are offering onky 2M max. What a waste of everyone's time that would be.

Brown owes us a bit after his regular season underperformance. I know that doesn't mean anything really, but he owes us a year at league minimum for it to me.
Doesn't hurt to make an offer.
No one expected E. Kane to settle for the money he did.
I would offer P.Kane 2M x 1 contract as well.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Doesn't hurt to make an offer.
No one expected E. Kane to settle for the money he did.
I would offer P.Kane 2M x 1 contract as well.
It might hurt actually. Henrique is the type of player that can be a positive impact at 3 - 4 million. I wouldn't be shocked if he gets $4M per. If we aren't willing to pay that, have a conversation, explore what he wants, and just say that we can't get close to that, but if he would entertain something lower, then we can put an offer together. If he has no interest in accepting anything lower than $4M, then we don't waste his time with an insulting offer, and we don't waste our negotiator's time putting together an offer that isn't going to be signed, when we can focus on talking to agents about players we actually might get with that money.

If we continually lowball guys, it sends out a bad message. We don't want to be known as the team that overpays everyone, but we don't want a reputation for lowballing either.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Keep:
Brown
Janmark
Desharnais

Low Ball:
Henrique
Foegele

Let Walk:
Perry
If Perry isn't ready to retire, I have time for him at league minimum as our 13th forward. Bring him in to fill the role Gagner filled this year. He isn't good enough for every day play, but he does bring the grittiness we need more of, and his playoff experience is still valuable even from the locker room.

I expect him to retire though, after we beat Florida 3 more times he can retire as champion (yes, I'm dreaming, sue me).

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Wowee, 1 assist in an 8-1 blowout win and an even rating in 4 games in the finals.

The only lesson I can see here is that a guy can mail it in for an entire season and then simply play okay to be considered worth it.
"mailing it in". :laugh:As I said, came off nearly 2 years from no hockey due to injury, and you think people are just wind up toys that are ready to go whenever. Apparently you're superhuman and can overcome stuff like that. Okay.

As for playing simply "okay" during the playoffs and especially the last few weeks, I'm not sure you've been watching the same games as everyone else. But don't let your personal dislike of a player get in the way of any judgement.;)

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
"mailing it in". :laugh:As I said, came off nearly 2 years from no hockey due to injury, and you think people are just wind up toys that are ready to go whenever. Apparently you're superhuman and can overcome stuff like that. Okay.

As for playing simply "okay" during the playoffs and especially the last few weeks, I'm not sure you've been watching the same games as everyone else. But don't let your personal dislike of a player get in the way of any judgement.;)

He was a healthy scratch at the end of the year because he sucked, not because of any injury issues. I have no qualms with giving him some leeway early in the year. The rest of the year was just as pathetic.

And I mean… for a $4m player he has 1 goal and 5 points. Yes, that’s just okay. He’s contributing at the level of a good 4th liner. That’s a $1m players

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
He was a healthy scratch at the end of the year because he sucked, not because of any injury issues. I have no qualms with giving him some leeway early in the year. The rest of the year was just as pathetic.

And I mean… for a $4m player he has 1 goal and 5 points. Yes, that’s just okay. He’s contributing at the level of a good 4th liner. That’s a $1m players
No one is suggesting he didn’t suck in the regular season. You can believe his injury didn’t contribute to his garbage season but we will have to disagree on that. His skating is light years different.

Janmark and him have been fantastic the last 2 series. That goal last game was potentially game changing.

While 5 points in 16 games isn’t heart stopping… it’s not bad. It’s the other things he does that are what have been huge for this cup run.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
No one is suggesting he didn’t suck in the regular season. You can believe his injury didn’t contribute to his garbage season but we will have to disagree on that. His skating is light years different.

Janmark and him have been fantastic the last 2 series. That goal last game was potentially game changing.

While 5 points in 16 games isn’t heart stopping… it’s not bad. It’s the other things he does that are what have been huge for this cup run.
Considering he's playing on the 4th line and killing penalties 5 points is actually fairly decent.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

And he has taken advantage of being back in the lineup, hasn't he. Did he earn his contract this year? Hell no. But does that make him a bad bet moving forward? Unless he wants another $4M, I'd say hell no to that as well.

5 points in a playoff run where the expectation from him is to kill penalties and contain the other team isn't bad if he is being paid for that role, which he isn't now, but could be next year.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

He didn't make 4 million this year. He made $775,000. So, less than 1 million. Based on your own logic, that should be okay.

Reactions: Tobias Kahun

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Keep:
Brown
Janmark
Desharnais

Low Ball:
Henrique
Foegele

Let Walk:
Perry
Foegele is making almost 3M now. He will ask for a raise.

He didn't make 4 million this year. He made $775,000. So, less than 1 million. Based on your own logic, that should be okay.
Brown got about 4M, with the bonus.

If Perry isn't ready to retire, I have time for him at league minimum as our 13th forward. Bring him in to fill the role Gagner filled this year. He isn't good enough for every day play, but he does bring the grittiness we need more of, and his playoff experience is still valuable even from the locker room.

I expect him to retire though, after we beat Florida 3 more times he can retire as champion (yes, I'm dreaming, sue me).
He's cooked. There will better players available. Henrique is the veteran they should try to keep.

grego

Jan 12, 2005
Saskatchewan
It depends on what he asks for. 2 mill or less you evaluate based on cap.

The oil are a good enough team to have a few players that you want for playoffs and that may or may not score in the regular season. We don't need ten 20 goal scorers in the regular season to make the playoffs.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Might want to check that one again.
Bonus applies to next year.

"Brown's $775,000 salary counts toward the 2023-24 cap. The bonus dollars, $3,225,000 and easily attainable, will be kicked on to the 2024-25 cap. For the Oilers, it was the only way to get a player of Brown's quality (a top-six winger with a wide range of skills) on the roster."

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,600.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium
    Wagers: 4