Keep Brown or Let him go?

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
If he scores 1-2 in each of 4 play off rounds, he won’t be signing here.
1 or 2 goals a playoff round of up to 7 games is what we should be getting from him at minimum for the price we are paying him.

I think it's a pipe dream for him to actually accomplish and if he somehow does I don't think it changes his value next year as much as you are speculating.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
1 or 2 goals a playoff round of up to 7 games is what we should be getting from him at minimum for the price we are paying him.

I think it's a pipe dream for him to actually accomplish and if he somehow does I don't think it changes his value next year as much as you are speculating.
Ya I dont see him scoring at that rate neither.

My comment was more so some other idiot GM will get horny if he scores 1-2 per round and signs him.

I just hope it (scoring) happens so we get the benefit of a solid production from him after he f***ed the team over in the regular season and then Holland, Jackson or whoever the hell will be in charge of free agency regains their intelligence and stays …….far……..far…….away on or before July 1.

Reactions: Aerchon

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
But Holloways injuries have also been a sign of a player trying to find that extra edge and desperation everywhere due to the situation he's in where he knows any game here could be his last. Very untenable position to put kids in. Be better than all these other guys, be better instantly, or you're riding pine or sent down or scratched. Holloway has seen this two years running now. Wouldn't treat a dog like that.

I can name any number of players here that didn't show much scoring initially, or much pts. Even a guy like Ryan Smyth. Both had identical first seasons. Yet Smyth correctly got constant rotation in the lineup sophomore season and blossomed to his peak. Holloway with similar rook season is riding pine and busses somewhere. Kinds sucks for him.
That's what being on a contender is all about. Would have been different in 2010-2015.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Cup hunting
That's what being on a contender is all about. Would have been different in 2010-2015.
No it isn't. Contenders work young talent into the lineup consistently like Dallas have done. The Oilers won some SC's based on having a balanced lineup with youth being a big part of it. Think of Tikkanen, or the Kidline in 90. These can often be important part of wins and even in cap era where young talent can add pace and identity to lineup at low cost filling it out.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
No it isn't. Contenders work young talent into the lineup consistently like Dallas have done. The Oilers won some SC's based on having a balanced lineup with youth being a big part of it. Think of Tikkanen, or the Kidline in 90. These can often be important part of wins and even in cap era where young talent can add pace and identity to lineup at low cost filling it out.
100%

In 2019-2020 Tampa Bay won a Stanley cup with Sergachev and Cernak in their top 4 and Point and Cirelli as their 1st and 3rd line centers. All those players were the same age that players like Holloway and Broberg are now. But here we are saying we can't possibly play Broberg as the #6 d-man or Holloway in our top 9. Meanwhile we've got a never ending rotation of guys like Janmark, Brown or the ghost of Cory Perry in our top 9.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
100%

In 2019-2020 Tampa Bay won a Stanley cup with Sergachev and Cernak in their top 4 and Point and Cirelli as their 1st and 3rd line centers. All those players were the same age that players like Holloway and Broberg are now. But here we are saying we can't possibly play Broberg as the #6 d-man or Holloway in our top 9. Meanwhile we've got a never ending rotation of guys like Janmark, Brown or the ghost of Cory Perry in our top 9.
The Oilers have Skinner, Bouchard, Desharnais, McLeod. Jay-Poo, Yamamoto, Broberg and Holloway were given all sorts of opportunities.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
The Oilers have Skinner, Bouchard, Desharnais, McLeod. Jay-Poo, Yamamoto, Broberg and Holloway were given all sorts of opportunities.
So either an indictment on the players who failed at the opportunity presented, coaching or the scouting staff. The fact that other than a couple players, they are failed, been moved or are just marginal players doesn’t suggest the Oilers are at the same level of clubs that successfully integrate youth and ELC pay into their system.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
So either an indictment on the players who failed at the opportunity presented, coaching or the scouting staff. The fact that other than a couple players, they are failed, been moved or are just marginal players doesn’t suggest the Oilers are at the same level of clubs that successfully integrate youth and ELC pay into their system.
Well, I think it is a common knowledge that this club sucks at drafting and developing players. Since 2010, when they had four 1st overalls, one 3rd overall, one 4th overall, three 5-10 picks, two 10-20 picks, two 20-30 picks, they drafted McDavid, lucked out with Draisaitl, made good picks with Hall (did not realize potential for whatever reason), RNH, Nurse, Klefbom, Bouchard; struck out with Yakupov and Puljujaaarvi; made some meh picks (Yamamoto), judgement is still out on Broberg, Holloway and Bourgault. So basically, with the exception of Klefbom, they failed to develop a single player drafted outside the top 10.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Well, I think it is a common knowledge that this club sucks at drafting and developing players. Since 2010, when they had four 1st overalls, one 3rd overall, one 4th overall, three 5-10 picks, two 10-20 picks, two 20-30 picks, they drafted McDavid, lucked out with Draisaitl, made good picks with Hall (did not realize potential for whatever reason), RNH, Nurse, Klefbom, Bouchard; struck out with Yakupov and Puljujaaarvi; made some meh picks (Yamamoto), judgement is still out on Broberg, Holloway and Bourgault. So basically, with the exception of Klefbom, they failed to develop a single player drafted outside the top 10.
I completely agree, so not sure what added point you’re making.

The post from @Spawn was suggesting that recent successful clubs have been able to integrate young players into the lineup but the Oilers haven’t. You then trotted out a list of players, 4 that are regulars (but 2 who perhaps shouldn’t be, VD and McLeod) and a bunch that are failed or unsuccessful at this point, attempts as examples of the Oilers doing the same. They have not been able to integrate youth into the lineup successfully. They are the oldest team in the league.

Last edited:

jeffff

Oct 4, 2011
So??? now what do you guys think based on his playoffs?

I can't be the only one that has been mildly impressed. I think he's getting better as the playoffs go on......which unfortunately we can't say about all of our players. There is no questioning his importance on the PK and I actually have been impressed with his "give a shit meter" recently.

I'd take him at league minimum next year, and honestly...I could live with anything up to a mil.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
He's been good on the PK and has brought energy but he's still getting filled in out there. I say cut our losses and move on unless he's looking at $1m or less.

Reactions: gretzkyoilers

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Keep. Resign for cheap. Average out his bonus and thus signing becomes a win instead of a loss.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009

I can't be the only one that has been mildly impressed. I think he's getting better as the playoffs go on......which unfortunately we can't say about all of our players. There is no questioning his importance on the PK and I actually have been impressed with his "give a shit meter" recently.

I'd take him at league minimum next year, and honestly...I could live with anything up to a mil.
He's finally looking good, I'd sign him again but only league minimum. He ripped the team off with this year's performance in the regular season

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010

Keep him. If he signs for $1.25 or less.

Reactions: jeffff

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Wow, some of the earlier comments on here have not aged well.:laugh:;)

A guy missing nearly 2 years, coming off major surgery might need some time to get up to speed. Who knew? He was not good this year, and I dissed him as much as any on here, but I think the lesson learned is that these guys are not robots, and patience is a virtue. He's looking pretty damned good right now on the biggest stage, and looks just as advertised. Glad to be wrong about him!

Reactions: Arty Spooners Bsmnt

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

A guy missing nearly 2 years, coming off major surgery might need some time to get up to speed. Who knew? He was not good this year, and I dissed him as much as any on here, but I think the lesson learned is that these guys are not robots, and patience is a virtue. He's looking pretty damned good right now on the biggest stage, and looks just as advertised. Glad to be wrong about him!
This is a lot closer to the player I watched in TO and Ottawa though he still needs to get his finish back to be 100% there. Re-signing him will of course depend on his ask. At $1.5M or less I'd definitely do it.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
It would have to be cheaper than his bonus structure was. Ideally under $2 million AAV for 1-2 years.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

I watched some of Browns play in Ottawa and Toronto and I maintained that he just didnt look right and that the injury was still affecting him.
I dont recall you doing this but some posters on here (one specific poster was emphatic) tried to create a false narrtive that Brown has always been junk and that his play in the Regular season was just more evidence.
The evidence is in now and that narrative was clearly nonsense.
His skating is now miles better than it has been at any point this season and its great to see Brown play with such a high level of confidence. He has been one of a few secondary players that have become difference makers for this team in the playoffs.
Im enjoying the hell out of this. :D

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
I kinda think Brown owes us after putting us in a cap mess next season and performing like crap all year, that said he probably doesn't care and wants to chase money.

It would be nice if we don't win for him to sign a deal for say 1.5 million and try to chase a cup.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

Wowee, 1 assist in an 8-1 blowout win and an even rating in 4 games in the finals.

The only lesson I can see here is that a guy can mail it in for an entire season and then simply play okay to be considered worth it.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I would go up to 1.5 for him but he'll probably get more on the open market after the playoff he had.
I'd offer him up to $2m with a bit of term and assurance he's going to be on a team committed to winning a Championship for the duration of his deal.

But I'm a bit concerned that teams are looking at that line right now and just throwing the same offers at him they were last summer.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad