Confirmed with Link: Keefe hired by Jersey as Head Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I'd rather coach Jersey than the Leafs. Especially next year.

If Marner rides out his contract with the Leafs, this team is going to be a gong show.
It won’t happen, if sanity is to return to the Leafs someone from the core has to go, possibly two………

Reactions: CincoHolio

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
man if Leafs don't have at least one cup or continuous deep runs I would not offer Matthews 15AAV on his next deal. he can seek that from another team lol

15x4 would would be team friendly in 4 years

Mattews will be 30 in 4 years so he will want an 8 year deal and retire. Or hang on if there are any career records or milestones.

He probably mapped this out since the end of his ELC

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I think Babcock was quite happy to sit on his ass and take MLSE money for 5 years.

The first year after that ended. Columbus tried to hire him

There was no other team offering Babcock the money Leafs did. He made more money per year sitting on his ass than he would have made going back to coaching.

Keefe on the other hand received a more lucrative deal than what Treliving gave him on a per year basis and for 4 years. It was in Keefe's best financial interest to nullify the Leafs contract and sign on to the new one. MLSE also not on the hook to pay him so its a WIN-WIN scenario

TheGreenTBer

the only language I speak is FAILURE
Apr 30, 2021
Prestigious doesn't mean whatever you think it does.
No, he's right. Just because those running the team are incompetent that doesn't mean it's not a prestigious organization. It's Montreal and Toronto, and everyone else is at least one rung below that.

The Dallas Cowboys fail in the playoffs too but anyone that thinks they aren't a big name team is simply wrong.

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
I'd rather coach Jersey than the Leafs. Especially next year.

If Marner rides out his contract with the Leafs, this team is going to be a gong show.
The atmosphere will be poisonous if he stays that's why I can't see anyone on the TML Hockey ops side allowing it. That said, MLSE is run by a PC Board, so they might just override the Hockey Ops side of things....

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
There was no other team offering Babcock the money Leafs did. He made more money per year sitting on his ass than he would have made going back to coaching.

Keefe on the other hand received a more lucrative deal than what Treliving gave him on a per year basis and for 4 years. It was in Keefe's best financial interest to nullify the Leafs contract and sign on to the new one. MLSE also not on the hook to pay him so its a WIN-WIN scenario
The reason other teams pick up the salary is because up until the fired coach is approached by another team...he is still an employee. Thus the "We relieved Sheldon Keefe of his coaching duties"...if another team wants to to talk to your coach...they have to pick up the tab if they want to hire him away because he is still an employee of MLSE. And, they can't offer the coach $1m and have MLSE pay the rest. It has to be an average coaches salary....that's part of the reason Babs stayed at home. Nobody wanted to pay him crazy money to terrorize their players.

Reactions: PromisedLand

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
So a team with zero hardness and accountability hires a coach that was fired from the Maple Leafs for pretty much the same reason?

Of all the coaches available this was the best option?

Or did New Jersey just do what was expedient and popular with the talk radio types?
Welcome to the PC Millennial Driven Canadian world of the most PC city in Canada, Toronto.

Funny part is they think they are edgy and live in the Center of the Universe.

PS- I'm a 62 year old die hard Maple Leafs Fan. But I don't nor ever would live in Toronto.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Welcome to the PC Millennial Driven Canadian world of the most PC city in Canada, Toronto.

Funny part is they think they are edgy and live in the Center of the Universe.

PS- I'm a 62 year old die hard Maple Leafs Fan. But I don't nor ever would live in Toronto.
Grew up in the west end, back then Toronto was a great place, it’s hasn’t been that for a couple of decades, now it’s just a sewer of a city, someone has to die to get me to go down there now……..

Malachi Crunch

Sep 24, 2022
0BD3176D-66DC-4C19-B7C2-DFEE101854DE.jpeg

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
No, he's right. Just because those running the team are incompetent that doesn't mean it's not a prestigious organization. It's Montreal and Toronto, and everyone else is at least one rung below that.

The Dallas Cowboys fail in the playoffs too but anyone that thinks they aren't a big name team is simply wrong.
I can take just about any Leafs insult or joke. But Dallas Cowboys? You go too far!

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Always thought I’d move when I retired. Then my kids went and had kids, no way I could leave the city now. Just too much fun.
I give you all the props in the world for living in Toronto. My wife and I have a small acreage hobby farm 20 minutes south west of London. It’s calm and peaceful sitting on the deck listening to the coyotes in the rear bush howling at night if we get 3 cars at the nearest intersection 3 km away we consider it grid lock. Lol

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I give you all the props in the world for living in Toronto. My wife and I have a small acreage hobby farm 20 minutes south west of London. It’s calm and peaceful sitting on the deck listening to the coyotes in the rear bush howling at night if we get 3 cars at the nearest intersection 3 km away we consider it grid lock. Lol
When you no longer have to commute, traffic not an issue at all, well unless you want to leave the city on weekends. Stores not busy at all during the week when most people are working. Even have a fire pit. lol. Just no Lake… darn.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
When you no longer have to commute, traffic not an issue at all, well unless you want to leave the city on weekends. Stores not busy at all during the week when most people are working. Even have a fire pit. lol. Just no Lake… darn.
Interesting info. I just assumed it was continual chaos and a sea of humanity. Lol

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
This guy hit the employment equivalent of the lottery jackpot twice.

A young star studded roster. Low expectations for the first couple years. Almost zero percent chance of taking another step back after last year's meltdown.

They're gonna be scoring a ton of goals next year.
And he's almost certainly going to get a good goalie acquired for him this summer after Jersey's goaltending disaster last season.

Enga Olly

May 26, 2021
sounds awesome - I'd like something like that

Reactions: Racer88

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
And the wings at The Pump are pretty good, loved my time in Clarkson, but that was a long time ago, living in the country can’t be beat……..
Been there a few times. Great spot and loved that strip with the seafood place and Starbucks by the marina.

And he's almost certainly going to get a good goalie acquired for him this summer after Jersey's goaltending disaster last season.
Sammy, come on down!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad