Confirmed with Link: Keefe hired by Jersey as Head Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I think Babcock was quite happy to sit on his ass and take MLSE money for 5 years.

The first year after that ended. Columbus tried to hire him

That's because it's Columbus. A total clown show, not a hockey team lol. To be fair. No real team would have even tried to hire that man.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Unfortunately Keefe grew as a coach here with a contender, feels like we wasted time while he figured it out, ditto obviously golden boy. NJ is getting a decent coach now, we just needed a new voice here, clearly. I wish the man well, he went out with one of the classiest exit speeches we've seen here. Inherits a decent position too, NJ had a down year, will probably rebound.
Yep, MLSE / Shanahan allowed Dubas and Keefe to do their apprenticeship with arguably the most prestigious team in the NHL. and wasted what may have been their best chance at real success in decades.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
With a Clueless Dubas managing Pittsburgh and an Incompetent Keefe now the new bench boss in NJ that is 2 less teams that Leafs & Leaf Nation fans no longer have to be concerned about as Eastern teams standing in the way of the Leafs playoff success.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
We're about to see if Keefe was indeed a problem here. NJ is a talented young team who on paper should easily make the playoffs. If Keefe finds postseason success in NJ it'll be yet another indictment that this core doesn't have it.
That's a low bar that Keefe should easily help the Devils achieve (playoffs). With the talent at their disposal, they should have been Cup contenders this past year (like the Leafs). Keefe is going to get the Devils back to the playoffs which will make him a Jack Adams contender or the winner.

What the Devils do in the playoffs will provide a better indication of his coaching. But he certainly has walked into a very good situation where the downside towards failure is all but negligible.

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
I know the coach has input but I thought Boucher ran the PP?
This year. The Leafs have had multiple people run the PP, but this problem has persisted over Keefe's entire coaching tenure here, which suggests he's at least partially responsible.

Reactions: banks

MilkofthePoppy

Oct 27, 2022
I liked Keefe a hell of a lot more than Dubas. I hope he has success with the Devils, he was a decent coach for us.

That's because it's Columbus. A total clown show, not a hockey team lol. To be fair. No real team would have even tried to hire that man.

And yet that clown show has a playoff victory against us... f***ing embarrassing.

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
I'm not surprised to see him get another job quickly. He's a good coach.

The Leafs needed change for a while, that's why he was fired. He was probably kept too long here, all things considered. But it's not like he was a massive problem.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
I won't be watching Jersey next year.

Letting Brunette go was bad enough. Hiring Keefe to replace Ruff was worse. At least they were smart enough to not go with Green.

Can't say the same about Ottawa.

The bar in Jersey is pretty low right now. Just make the playoffs while padding the stars stats for the next few years. Keefe is the perfect coach for that.

I watched a lot of Jersey games last year.

Because I stupidly picked them as a cup contender. I won't be making the same mistake next year. I already know they'll have an amazing record breaking regular season and go out in the first round of the playoffs.

I've been watching that show for the last five years.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I liked Keefe a hell of a lot more than Dubas. I hope he has success with the Devils, he was a decent coach for us.

And yet that clown show has a playoff victory against us... f***ing embarrassing.

Oh boy, you're right. I forgot about that when saying that. I guess I shouldn't throw stones from my glass house lol.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
That's a low bar that Keefe should easily help the Devils achieve (playoffs). With the talent at their disposal, they should have been Cup contenders this past year (like the Leafs). Keefe is going to get the Devils back to the playoffs which will make him a Jack Adams contender or the winner.

What the Devils do in the playoffs will provide a better indication of his coaching. But he certainly has walked into a very good situation where the downside towards failure is all but negligible.

This guy hit the employment equivalent of the lottery jackpot twice.

A young star studded roster. Low expectations for the first couple years. Almost zero percent chance of taking another step back after last year's meltdown.

They're gonna be scoring a ton of goals next year.

Reactions: TheTotalPackage

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Think it's a really good fit for both parties.

I wish him well - think he's going to have a long and successful NHL coaching career, and will come out of his time in Toronto as a better head coach.

Reactions: TheTotalPackage

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
I'd rather coach Jersey than the Leafs. Especially next year.

If Marner rides out his contract with the Leafs, this team is going to be a gong show.

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
This year. The Leafs have had multiple people run the PP, but this problem has persisted over Keefe's entire coaching tenure here, which suggests he's at least partially responsible.
Maybe it’s also the players

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I think Babcock was quite happy to sit on his ass and take MLSE money for 5 years.

The first year after that ended. Columbus tried to hire him
..... Devils have one of the best young groups in the league. If you are Keefe, you have to jump on that one. It's the best chance to boost his resume and also the most rope...not to mention the best chance at a cup. I'm sure Babs would've too on a similarily talented roster, had someone came calling over the immediate years he was out of the game. Also, he's alot older than Keefe; so time off with his family makes maybe more sense.

pdson

Apr 14, 2014
I'd rather coach Jersey than the Leafs. Especially next year.

If Marner rides out his contract with the Leafs, this team is going to be a gong show.
Absolute nonsense whether Marner is here or not the Leafs will be a playoff team

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Yep, MLSE / Shanahan allowed Dubas and Keefe to do their apprenticeship with arguably the most prestigious team in the NHL. and wasted what may have been their best chance at real success in decades.

Prestigious doesn't mean whatever you think it does.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
So a team with zero hardness and accountability hires a coach that was fired from the Maple Leafs for pretty much the same reason?

Of all the coaches available this was the best option?

Or did New Jersey just do what was expedient and popular with the talk radio types?

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
What I really respected about Keefe was how we was always able to limit the losing streaks to a very manageable number before getting the team back on the rebound.

It may be a reflection of our players but he was the coach and deserves credit for that!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad