Proposal: Kasperi Kapanen for Brandon Montour (Keep it civil)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I'd bet Anaheim fans want to see what they have in their guy first. Also the type of deal that could just as easily come back and bite the Leafs in the ***.

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
I'd hesitate, but that's actually a half decent deal... really don't want to let kappy go yet though, but I'd probably end up caving. Maybe anh adds a future mid pick? 4th or 5th. That might be pushing it, but meh.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
If I was TOR, I'd definitely do it. Montour is more valuable than Leivo and Kapanen is pretty whatever.

Mad Brills*

I'd rather just kapanen for him, but it's not a bad deal at all.

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Not a fan of either team but i dont understand all the Kapanen trade proposals. Hes a great young piece who eill be very complimentary to all their high skilled guys.

Mad Brills*

Not a fan of either team but i dont understand all the Kapanen trade proposals. Hes a great young piece who eill be very complimentary to all their high skilled guys.

kapanen for a RHD (an org need) does make sense.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Why would Anaheim ever agree to this deal? Kapanen and Leivo aren't worth much to the Ducks, we have similar prospects of our own.

I'd rather hang on to Montour, no reason to trade him right now.

xxreact9

Jun 4, 2012
As far as i can tell, Montour is far and away the better prospect.

This. He really is far and away better. He has better output as a defenseman in the AHL for one. Kasperi Kapanen was overrated before coming to Toronto, now it's just silly.

At this point, it really doesn't look all that likely he will become a top-6 in his career. Anyone who's watched him in the AHL would concur.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
This. He really is far and away better. He has better output as a defenseman in the AHL for one. Kasperi Kapanen was overrated before coming to Toronto, now it's just silly.

At this point, it really doesn't look all that likely he will become a top-6 in his career. Anyone who's watched him in the AHL would concur.

Kapanen, as one of the youngest guys in the AHL (19 last season) had 25 points in 44 games, and 8 in 14 playoff games. Thats 33rd best PPG all time in the AHL at that age. (Nylander #2 makes me happy!) Thats also within his first year on the smaller ice. Ill take that from any prospect any day!

http://www.quanthockey.com/ahl/en/player-age/19-year-old-ahl-players.html

Im not saying he will be the second coming of anyone, but he saying he has been written off as a top 6 forward is just idiotic.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
No reason for Ducks to do this.......
Same reason why Philly won´t trade any of their best D-prospect to Toronto for Kapanen...

Hogan86

Jun 21, 2016
Note a terrible proposal, OP. As a Leafs fan I would take time and consider this deal, but would probably change Leivo with a draft pick. Don't know if Anaheim would be interested, but that is what I would do.

As for all the hate on Kapanen. Man you guys are so hard on this kid. He was only 19 when last season ended. He still so young, and will continue to develop and get stronger. It's just crazy how he gets labelled a bust when he just turned 20 two weeks ago. Ridiculous.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Kapanen needs to put up a bigger AHL season, then trade value for him will return, even though his production on a deep AHL team has been decent so far. He was drafted in his first year of eligibility, is just getting to where he would be expected to start putting up numbers.

Montour's numbers look great in the AHL, but he was taken in his last year of eligibility and is more than 2 years older than Kapanen. I can understand why ducks fans would want to see what they have here, but wouldn't be calling Kapanen a write off for a couple of seasons yet.

Side note....does this add some credibility to the practice of drafting overagers? :sarcasm:

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
Kapanen, as one of the youngest guys in the AHL (19 last season) had 25 points in 44 games, and 8 in 14 playoff games. Thats 33rd best PPG all time in the AHL at that age. (Nylander #2 makes me happy!) Thats also within his first year on the smaller ice. Ill take that from any prospect any day!

http://www.quanthockey.com/ahl/en/player-age/19-year-old-ahl-players.html

Im not saying he will be the second coming of anyone, but he saying he has been written off as a top 6 forward is just idiotic.

Totally unrelated but nice to see Honka at 5th for D scoring at that age

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
I'd like to see how either prospect pans out on the NHL level. There will probably be a spot on the roster come expansion draft time for Monty.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Wouldn't do it from the Ducks' POV. I like Montour's upside more than Kapanen's. Montour's older, but he has adjusted so amazingly well to every next level he has moved up to in quick succession since being drafted.

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
Forgetting value, I don't see how it makes sense for Anaheim to move Montour instead of someone currently on the roster barring a rival GM losing his mind.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
As far as i can tell, Montour is far and away the better prospect.

What he said. I've never been that impressed with Kapanen... not writing him off or anything, but I wouldn't rank him in the same place as Montour who has looked like the real deal right out of the gate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad