Kasperi Kapanen (Aberg/J Lindgren) Traded to Pittsburgh (15OV/Hallander/E Rod/Warf to Toronto)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

NeedleInTheHay

Mar 26, 2008
Right, but we also have had the two best players in the league for all 3 cups in the 2000s and the arguable best ever for the first couple of cups. Also they kicked our ass in that conference final. I think your missing my point here which isn't about cups its about maintaining a contender while your core is aging which is was Boston has done since they won their cup and we have not since our back to back.

Also im not pitting the entirety of championships that Pitt has won vs Boston in their existence, I'm comparing how they have done in comparison since their cup wins in the 2010's

Boston missed the playoffs 2 years in a row recently, did you factor that into the comparison?

Reactions: Turin

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Kapanen has one of the lowest IQs among NHL players. It’s not debatable, just as is isn't that he is one of the fastest skaters. He lacks awareness of how his spot on the ice relates to what occurs around him and it is evident in almost every shift he takes.

Yes, Rust has started to figure things out, but he still isn't a smart player and it takes longer for low IQ players to adapt- hence why it took two years before he could play with Crosby without killing the cycle.

Just because you claim it’s not debatable doesn’t really mean much TBTH.

KK has a good IQ, but most people really don’t know what they are watching when evaluating players, so I only ever trusted a handful of people when I can’t watch a guy, and sadly one of them is no longer around these parts.

If you want to see what a low IQ player is, watch Sprong or Yakupov.

Low IQ players don’t last long in the NHL.

Reactions: That1Kid

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Y’all are a super pessimistic bunch. Dude hasn’t even touched the ice yet ( in this stint ) in a pens sweater and are just trashing this trade. Draft picks are extremely overrated. 1st rounders outside the top 8 picks are somewhat hard to judge. Lord.

You do realize we're capable of watching and evaluating Kapanen prior to him dressing for the Pens, right? It's not like this guy just popped up out of nowhere and no one has any clue what kind of game he plays.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
This is the problem, too -- arrogance from the Pens front office. They managed to go back to back with some unheralded draft picks and now think they can fix any player that has horrible numbers and low IQ. JJ, Chucky, etc. Most of the JR trades that didn't work out came with those criticisms. Crosby especially needs high-IQ wingers, especially as he gets older.

Good thing they do make up for it with Marino like pickups. Just signed Maniscalco. We have been wasting assets, overpaying for sure but when it pays off....all is well. And we still have Poulin, Legare(3rd round), POJ, Bjorkvist.

Def need to make sure we get the Murray trade right(alot dont think he has much value but I dont agree). And maybe package Bjugstad/Simon together. Getting assets back. Clearing space. While adding more water to the pool.

Sign Mike Hoffman or spend a little less and get Toffoli. Both can play either wing. That gives us a chance to try Kap on top line while improving the 3rd . If he doesnt work we insert one of Hoffman or Toffoli. Making our 3rd much better either way.

If we are going for it, go all in and sign a top UFA. Hopefully this could be the year that happens since UFA will be different than we've ever seen. This could be the best shot at getting a top UFA for a 2 year deal.

Like I said, we gave up alot for Zucker and Kapanen(2 first rounders, Addison, Hallander, Galchenyuk) so either we go thru UFA to get a top producer or thru the Murray/Bjugstad trades. I say thru UFA since this is a year its possible. Then get back some assets by moving Murray and Bjugs.

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
I guess you could make that argument, Jim Rutherford.

I don't see any reason to not believe Kapanen was the best we could get with this package, but if you want to stick on that point. I get it. Like I said, I hope Kapanen turns into somewhat of a power forward.

I also think the analytics on him are a little fuzzy. He was really good one year and bad this year, but like.. everyone in Toronto sucked this year.

I also think our room will be a good place for Kapanen if he is focused. The issue is he has some character problems in Toronto and I question how he'll take the trade.

Just such a risky move for the value we gave up.

My worry is the opposite: analytically speaking his outlier year is 2018-19 - his only great year. One in which he happened to reap the benefits of Matthews and Tavares going on shooting benders AND his RAPM GF numbers might be juiced by how much Nylander struggled to finish once he came back.

Reactions: Rave7215

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Literally months ago we acquired Jason Zucker for arguably less than this package. Compare what was assumed to be a ~25th overall pick + Calen Addison + terrible UFA Alex Galchenyuk with the 15th overall pick + Filip Hallander + serviceable RFA Evan Rodrigues.

Right before that, Boston acquired Ondrej Kase for a very late 1st and a Hallander-equivalent prospect. And on top of that, they dumped the equivalent of Jack Johnson.

It's pretty obvious that JR wanted Kapanen and zeroed in on him.
oh that I would like to see

pokey10

Neat
Apr 26, 2016
Pittsburgh
You do realize we're capable of watching and evaluating Kapanen prior to him dressing for the Pens, right? It's not like this guy just popped up out of nowhere and no one has any clue what kind of game he plays.

What was your evaluation of Hags when we just traded for him before he suited up. How bout Daley. Let’s see what a change of scenery, new system and just a new look does for him before we peg this as a piss poor trade.

Reactions: Gold Diamond

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
Just because you claim it’s not debatable doesn’t really mean much TBTH.

KK has a good IQ, but most people really don’t know what they are watching when evaluating players, so I only ever trusted a handful of people when I can’t watch a guy, and sadly one of them is no longer around these parts.

If you want to see what a low IQ player is, watch Sprong or Yakupov.

Low IQ players don’t last long in the NHL
Ok, to clarify: Kapanen is a low IQ for an NHL player. Especially relative to his speed.

"jack johnson can skate. if you want to see guys who can't skate watch my son's timbits games"

Reactions: bambamcam4ever

harmonica

Apr 21, 2007
Anyone dogging on Kapanen doesn't watch the Leafs much. I watch almost as many Leafs games as I do Pens. The kid has evolved a fair bit. He can play up and down the line up and down the line up. Prepare for a million breakaways, he just needs to work on finishing a bit. As long as he gets some top six time, he will hit 20/20 no prob. I honestly see him being amazing with Sid and Jake. If he can stay on the top line, its the guy we have been looking for.

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
What was your evaluation of Hags when we just traded for him before he suited up. How bout Daley. Let’s see what a change of scenery, new system and just a new look does for him before we peg this as a piss poor trade.
Hagelin was a fantastic player for the Rangers for like five years before we acquired him. Daley was obviously playing on the wrong side of the ice with a new team. That is not comparable to this lmao

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
My worry is the opposite: analytically speaking his outlier year is 2018-19 - his only great year. One in which he happened to reap the benefits of Matthews and Tavares going on shooting benders AND his RAPM GF numbers might be juiced by how much Nylander struggled to finish once he came back.

I’m just looking at NST stuff, but him and Zucker seem pretty comparable by the CF, xGF, stuff. over the last two seasons.

Reactions: BHD

Strakanator

Sep 21, 2007
Two things I disagree with:

1. The Penguins gave up a lot of value. 15th OA and an ok prospect. Chances are both never do anything in the NHL. The Penguins did not give up a ton of value.

2. Kapanen does not fit a team need. The Penguins are built on speed. They have to be one of the fastest teams to win another cup. They have to get younger and faster, which is exactly what Kap is.

Whether Kap is the right player or not, time will tell. The Pens have little time to get younger and faster. They have to change probably 4 or 5 guys to add speed while their cup window is still open.

The trade is not without a good amount of risk, but I like it.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
obviously Kapanen worked in some situations and he did not in some other....it will come down to finding the good role for him. I am fine with the trade, what worries me that I lost any confidence in Sully's ability to put players in the role to succeed. Geno and Sid slowed down, its not the same team any more, if Kappy finds his touch he could be a major asset, just like Rust...now go find 3C

Bingo71

Apr 3, 2018
Corry, PA
JR knows his goose is cooked and his parting gift, to endear fans to him forever, will be to ship Murray out of town and bring back MAF...

FFS...

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
I was excited about Hagelin because he was a good player?

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

I mean, I don't even care about whether or not you think Kapanen is good. My point is your comment about "lets see him dress first", as though none of us have a clue what type of player he is until we actually see him on the ice with the Pens. Most of us have seen him play before, and those who watch the Leafs a lot have seen him play pretty much every game he's played over the past however many seasons. I don't need to wait to see how he plays in a Pens' uniform before I can speak on what he brings to the table.

As for those other examples, look at the price paid. Perron for Hagelin was a guy not working out here for a guy who fit the system better. The fact you even mention the Daley trade is hilarious given the fact we got rid of useless Scuderi for him. People were ecstatic with that trade because it was obvious Daley's skating/puck carrying ability was much better suited to the Pens than whatever the f*** Scuderi did at that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad