Kasperi Kapanen (Aberg/J Lindgren) Traded to Pittsburgh (15OV/Hallander/E Rod/Warf to Toronto)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
I'm just gonna go to a happy place where JR traded #15 for MacKenzie Weegar and our right side is set for the next five years instead.

Reactions: Tacitus Kilgore

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Literally months ago we acquired Jason Zucker for arguably less than this package. Compare what was assumed to be a ~25th overall pick + Calen Addison + terrible UFA Alex Galchenyuk with the 15th overall pick + Filip Hallander + serviceable RFA Evan Rodrigues.

Right before that, Boston acquired Ondrej Kase for a very late 1st and a Hallander-equivalent prospect. And on top of that, they dumped the equivalent of Jack Johnson.

It's pretty obvious that JR wanted Kapanen and zeroed in on him.

i dont see how 25oa and addison is less than 15oa and hallander.

Addison was and is a more highly regarded prospect and plays a more important/valuable position.

the question is can Kapanen be Zucker. He has the talent to be.

robopigeon

Dec 9, 2013
The problem with this trade -- and every trade JR is going to make from here on out -- is that there's no direction behind it. What is their play style? What are they trying to do? When Sullivan came in JR gave him players that fit a system that ran through the rest of the NHL. The NHL adapted; JR and Sullivan did not. Now it all feels desperate, flailing at a vague idea of a system.

That's regardless of value. If they "won" the trade or not. But I don't see how this addresses any of the weaknesses from the last two playoffs. They need to get younger and build a better farm system -- they trade 15OA and Hallander. They need top-6 help -- this is not that, Kap is a third-liner on a contender. They do need depth scoring, which this does address -- but they need depth centers more, an identity for the third line and a pivot to make it work. They need to rethink the entire defense, there's massive holes everywhere and the chemistry is all wrong -- this trades away the best trade asset to address that.

I like Kap, he's a decent, young player. But this is not the way.

Reactions: Andy99 and Fordy

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
On the Galchenyuk -> Zucker scale he is a lot closer to Galchenyuk.

He's been a third or fourth liner for his whole career save for like 14 games when Nylander was holding out. His underlying numbers have not been good. His hockey IQ has been constantly cited as a problem. And we're pencilling him on our top line.

It is not a safe bet that he will score 25 + 25 for us. I do not think he will fit in with Crosby and I'm skeptical about the fit with Malkin.

Galchenyuk couldn’t skate, couldn’t PK, couldn’t even get his shot off in Pittsburgh. Kapanen has his warts but if your data is saying those two guys are similar I don’t like your data.

Reactions: Son Goku

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I see a lot of the same stuff with Kap here that I saw with Galchenyuk last year.

"Sid/Malkin are puck wizards! They'll fix him!"

I dunno. I feel like Kap's outside speed and forechecking are keys to helping Sid the most at his age. Any added offense from 15-20 ES goals from Kap is a bonus for me.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
what’s the point in having a scouting department and an analytics department if the GM just flies by the seat of his pants and tries to reacquire his old players and draft picks? Just asking for a friend....

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Fair. I think he has many of the skills that made Dupuis effective + a lot more talent.

100%. But, there is a reason Zucker was putting up 20 goals on the most offensively challenge team in the league and this idea that he doesn't score easy goals is just absolute nonsense. If anything he plays the game a lot more like Jake Guentzel than Bryan Rust or KK.

OswaldBates

Dec 31, 2019
Literally months ago we acquired Jason Zucker for arguably less than this package. Compare what was assumed to be a ~25th overall pick + Calen Addison + terrible UFA Alex Galchenyuk with the 15th overall pick + Filip Hallander + serviceable RFA Evan Rodrigues.

Right before that, Boston acquired Ondrej Kase for a very late 1st and a Hallander-equivalent prospect. And on top of that, they dumped the equivalent of Jack Johnson.

It's pretty obvious that JR wanted Kapanen and zeroed in on him.
UMMMM so that is how you know? HAHAHAHAHAHA

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA

He's been a third or fourth liner for his whole career save for like 14 games when Nylander was holding out. His underlying numbers have not been good. His hockey IQ has been constantly cited as a problem. And we're pencilling him on our top line.

It is not a safe bet that he will score 25 + 25 for us. I do not think he will fit in with Crosby and I'm skeptical about the fit with Malkin.

This is why you bury this trade. It's not necessarily Kapanen, its the amount of value we placed on him. There is no chance that we couldn't have acquired a more vital piece for our RW depth.

pokey10

Neat
Apr 26, 2016
Pittsburgh
Y’all are a super pessimistic bunch. Dude hasn’t even touched the ice yet ( in this stint ) in a pens sweater and are just trashing this trade. Draft picks are extremely overrated. 1st rounders outside the top 8 picks are somewhat hard to judge. Lord.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
100%. But, there is a reason Zucker was putting up 20 goals on the most offensively challenge team in the league and this idea that he doesn't score easy goals is just absolute nonsense. If anything he plays the game a lot more like Jake Guentzel than Bryan Rust or KK.

Yeah. I'd say Zucker is a feistier Guentzel with a bit less finish around the net.

robopigeon

Dec 9, 2013

This is the problem, too -- arrogance from the Pens front office. They managed to go back to back with some unheralded draft picks and now think they can fix any player that has horrible numbers and low IQ. JJ, Chucky, etc. Most of the JR trades that didn't work out came with those criticisms. Crosby especially needs high-IQ wingers, especially as he gets older.

Reactions: Andy99

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
Judging by the value of Blake Coleman, Jason Zucker, Kase, etc. We do.

And those 1sts were anticipated to be much less. This also doesn't factor in the situation where Kapanen was basically on the outs anyway.

Barclay Goodrow...

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Doubt it unless they move Hornqvist. I think we're gonna see:

Guentzel - Crosby - Kapanen
Zucker - Malkin - Rust
Simon - McCann - Hornqvist
ZAR - Blueger - Tanev

At least as of now.

(Man putting Kapanen next to Sid is giving me real 2015 nostalgia)
the worst third line in all NHL

Reactions: ownal

Son Goku

henlo u stinky egg
Mar 8, 2014
The World Of Void
Y’all are a super pessimistic bunch. Dude hasn’t even touched the ice yet ( in this stint ) in a pens sweater and are just trashing this trade. Draft picks are extremely overrated. 1st rounders outside the top 8 picks are somewhat hard to judge. Lord.
Even number one overall picks can go sour. Look at Yak, what percentage of 1st round picks play more than 200 NHL games?

Reactions: pokey10

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
I just don't why, in a series where you're desperate for goals, that they never went to the trio of Guentzel/Malkin/Rust, they torched the League.

I think The team may be better with Zucker with Sid, Guentzel with Malkin.

But i guess they don't wanna disrespect Sid.
because, sully lost his touch...he had to prove that it will work

Reactions: Andy99

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
JR dealt a pick that is 3-4 years from being a top 6 player or maybe a 3rd liner in 2 years time...Crosby said the window for winning(Stanley Cup) is closing so you surround your best players with players that can play now,not tomorrow or 3-4 years time

I have been banging that drum for years, so it’s not exactly an enlightenment.

That doesn’t mean this was the best trade JR could have made with the 15th pick.

I don’t hate the trade, I just dislike giving up that kind of value without it being more of a sure thing.

Maybe KK plays top six... maybe he plays on the third line. Good trades don’t usually involve such high uncertainty when giving up that kind of value.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
Is this a trade that anyone considers good?

No, but 1. It’s better than that at least. 2. You could make the case that Kapanen being 4 years younger than Zucker and Coleman makes him a similar values asset. Kase has severe injury questions.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
No, but 1. It’s better than that at least. 2. You could make the case that Kapanen being 4 years younger than Zucker and Coleman makes him a similar values asset. Kase has severe injury questions.

I guess you could make that argument, Jim Rutherford.

I don't see any reason to not believe Kapanen was the best we could get with this package, but if you want to stick on that point. I get it. Like I said, I hope Kapanen turns into somewhat of a power forward.

I also think the analytics on him are a little fuzzy. He was really good one year and bad this year, but like.. everyone in Toronto sucked this year.

I also think our room will be a good place for Kapanen if he is focused. The issue is he has some character problems in Toronto and I question how he'll take the trade.

Just such a risky move for the value we gave up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad