Kasperi Kapanen (Aberg/J Lindgren) Traded to Pittsburgh (15OV/Hallander/E Rod/Warf to Toronto)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
With what, though?

And the top 6 appears to be full, unless there are more changes in the offing.

Even on the third line, replace McCann or Horny with a different flavour. I was already willing to sell high on Rust if he brings a more creative player in.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Even on the third line, replace McCann or Horny with a different flavour. I was already willing to sell high on Rust if he brings a more creative player in.

My concern is that the first part doesn't help the top 6.

If JR moves out Rust while his value is sky-high for an RW with some more zazz who can help the PP, I'm all for it (depending on the player, naturally). That's what we need, no offense to Rust.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Doubt it unless they move Hornqvist. I think we're gonna see:

Guentzel - Crosby - Kapanen
Zucker - Malkin - Rust
Simon - McCann - Hornqvist
ZAR - Blueger - Tanev

At least as of now.

(Man putting Kapanen next to Sid is giving me real 2015 nostalgia)
I think Poulin and Lafferty both get a chance to lock down the LW spot Simon is occupying, but otherwise agree.

And you might see a 3C swapped in for McCann

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
And it's not bad to have players who produce that way, like Zucker. It's good to be able to score in a number of ways.

We just seem to have a lot of the same kind of player for our scoring wings right now. Rust, Zucker, Kapanen. Skate fast, retrieve pucks, get it to the scoring center, go to the net and whack away until you convert.

I don't see how Zucker, Rust or Kapanen do anything of these tbh.

Kapanen scores of transition.

Zucker and Rust had most of their goals from around the face off dots. Zucker is someone that has a hell of a shot and tips a shit ton of goals.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
It's pretty obvious JR went for guys ready to play or at least further along in their development and was willing to part with a potential cornerstone player for the team in coming years. Although there's no guarantee that guy pans out I'd have kept the pick. Currently we have no picks in the top 60 in a very deep draft. That aint cool.

Dangles78

Oct 14, 2012
Pittsburgh
I sure liked what Kapanen said to Madden...he plays without a lot of emotion and sometimes that can be a problem, but he's passionate about the game of hockey. He always seemed like a mature kid and I'm sure he's hungry to win. Injecting that passion should be good for this team.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
you can have the player on the left for free

or the player on the right for a 15th OA and a top 4 prospect in your system.

Attachments

• IMG_20200825_162807.png
    IMG_20200825_162807.png
    105.4 KB · Views: 12

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yeah, my concern with acquiring Kapanen for the top-6 is that he's more of what they already have. I think Kapanen is fairly similar to Zucker, which is a really nice piece to have but I don't know that you want your entire top-6 to be filled with Jason Zuckers.

But Kapanen's the kind of winger that both Crosby and Malkin like to play with, so who am I to question it? This top-6 wing group has basically exactly what Crosby and Malkin want: speed, youth, talent and scoring ability in a package that doesn't shy away from physicality. If nothing else, JR, Sullivan, Crosby and Malkin are on the same page for what kind of players should be surrounding them.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Can any of you guys provide some details about Hallander’s development? Never heard of him before

Impressive point totals for his age but plateaued a bit this season, partially due to a broken leg although his totals were okay after. Strong defensively already and pretty darn likely to be an NHLer, but whether his hands let him be more than a good bottom sixer we don't know.

This is what I was driving at earlier.

Our offense is pretty one-note and predictable as is.

We pretty much wrote the same damn post :laugh:
If kapanens hands and physicality can meet the highest takes on them, I guess he brings a little difference?

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
My concern is that the first part doesn't help the top 6.

If JR moves out Rust while his value is sky-high for an RW with some more zazz who can help the PP, I'm all for it (depending on the player, naturally). That's what we need, no offense to Rust.

This kind of sums up the issue with JR for awhile now. He’d end up chasing that RW. He might get them eventually but the cost...

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Rust and Kapanen sure. Zucker is way more skilled than both of them and is honestly what this forum consistently says "you need to win with".

The question is whether filling your top 6 with those types is the way to go. Our offense did not get less predictable today.

It seems like JR and Sullivan have one Guentzel so they're content to have the rest of our top 6 wings be a variation on what Dupuis brought.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The question is whether filling your top 6 with those types is the way to go. Our offense did not get less predictable today.

It seems like JR and Sullivan have one Guentzel so they're content to have the rest of our top 6 wings be a variation on what Dupuis brought.

All of Kapanen, Rust and Zucker are substantially more skilled than Dupuis was.

I really don't get this place. Kapanen is like pretty much an exact replica of what you want from a winger for Crosby or Malkin. They don't like playing with the kind of wingers you're complaining about not having.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015

Rust is a ton more skilled than people give him credit for.

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Comparing Zucker and Dupuis is just stupid. I know you have a hard on for players that snipe show, but to be honest. The NHL isn't going that way. You score by setting up traffic and tipping pucks. Same thing with the "quarterback PP defenseman" you constantly want. If you needed a RH from the point to slap in goals. Brent Burns and Roman Josi would be winning cups over hand and foot.

I find it funny how people say we need to "work hard and stop playing the permitter" and then get mad when we acquire players that play hockey in front of the net and say we are "predictable".

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
I’m just gonna dream about Murray and Rust for Gaudreau, mostly because it’s piss of my bud who’s a Flames fan.

Zucker-Crosby-Guentzel
Gaudreau-Malkin-Hornqvist
Tanev-Blueger-Kapanen

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
We pretty much wrote the same damn post :laugh:
If kapanens hands and physicality can meet the highest takes on them, I guess he brings a little difference?

I mean, he's young so he could still improve, but with the premium we paid we should be getting a surefire solution to at least one problem area.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I think Blueger-Lowry would be a good 3A/3B center situation. I might like Blueger more than others, but I think he can fill that Bones role. He's good defensively and he's smart and skilled enough to score albeit not skilled enough to drive a line himself. Lowry's used to being leaned on to eat the defensive role. He's big and physical which is something the forward group lacks. His offense never really developed, but it's not terrible given that he's buried with d-zone starts. He makes a lot for a 4C, but I think it's doable with Blueger only making $750k. Then Lowry's contract is up. You can either give that money to Blueger if he works out or you have your answer on whether Blueger can be a 3C long term. It's not worth giving up a lot to get him, but they could do worse IMO.

I know it would never happen, but I'd like:

Guentzel - Crosby - Hornqvist
Zucker - Malkin - Rust
Poulin/Simon - Blueger - Kapanen
Simon/Lafferty - Lowry - Tanev

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Hornqvist should be traded before being tried in the top-6 here again :dunno:

To me, your top-6 is set until you don't have the money to keep it together. It's Guentzel-Crosby and Zucker-Malkin with Rust and Kapanen alternating between the 1st and 2nd line. That shouldn't change outside of injuries.

Tacitus Kilgore

May 26, 2010
Potomac, MD
Cool. Boston has 1 cup in 50 years, pens have 5 in 30.

Right, but we also have had the two best players in the league for all 3 cups in the 2000s and the arguable best ever for the first couple of cups. Also they kicked our ass in that conference final. I think your missing my point here which isn't about cups its about maintaining a contender while your core is aging which is was Boston has done since they won their cup and we have not since our back to back.

Also im not pitting the entirety of championships that Pitt has won vs Boston in their existence, I'm comparing how they have done in comparison since their cup wins in the 2010's

Jeffrey Pedler

Mar 21, 2018
Kap basically reads as a really good third liner to me. I don't see him as top 6 material but he's an upgrade over everyone the Pens had in the bottom 6 this year except maybe Hornqvist.

He was a good second liner, when Nylander was holding out. The Penguins will use him as a second liner, because there is no Nylander and Marner in front of him now.

Reactions: Empoleon8771
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad