Karlsson vs Doughty vs Hedman

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

greatest

• Karlsson - Hedman - Doughty

• Karlsson - Doughty - Hedman

• Hedman - Doughty - Karlsson

• Hedman - Karlsson - Doughty

• Doughty - Hedman - Karlsson

• Doughty - Karlsson - Hedman

Results are only viewable after voting.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
Sure if you include 19 empty net goals or whatever it was.
Had the second highest 5 on 5 points, missed out on first by a point.
He was on for 126 5on5 goals against, 2nd highest was 99

Absurdly terrible numbers no matter how you slice it

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
He was on for 126 5on5 goals against, 2nd highest was 99

Absurdly terrible numbers no matter how you slice it yep the team had 315 against
yep had 315 against as a team.

Yes we know you hate Karlsson and Canadians, you literally make threads about them. So there’s no point in engaging with a hater.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
yep had 315 against as a team.

Yes we know you hate Karlsson and Canadians, you literally make threads about them. So there’s no point in engaging with a hater.
I have literally never made a thread on this website and also live in Canada

I’m definitely a hater but not about this lol

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Hedman basically had a 5+ year stretch where he was a top 3 offensive defensman while also being a top 3 defensive defenseman. None of the other guys can say that. Peaks you could argue but career wise definitely Hedman for me.
I get what you're saying, but the difference isn't just that Karlsson was the #1 offensive dman compared to Hedman's #3. Karlsson was astronomically better offensively than Hedman, or anyone else in the league during his prime. Karlsson was the guy running the offense on the Senators. Similar to how the Oilers give McDavid the puck and then just let him come up with something, that was pretty much Ottawa's gameplan too. Get Karl the puck and he'll create a scoring chance. Although he was Ottawa's best defenseman at puck retrievals, so it was usually him getting the puck himself, then skating it up himself (or a long stretch pass), and then running the play in the offensive zone.

That's pretty much the argument for Karlsson here because he was dynamic in a way that very few dmen in the sport have been. He is far from a traditional defenseman, very far. It's hard to compare him to a guy like Hedman because they just played completely different styles.

Indeed. Some even believe EK's Glorious 3 rounds are better than Hedman's Conn Smythe run.
It was definitely the more impressive individual effort and harder to pull off.

Reactions: NyQuil

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Hedman >= Karlsson >> Doughty

Peak Karlsson circa the 2017 playoffs was the best of the group, but the fall off in his two way play in the back half of his career really hurts him here (though I do find that part of his game to be extremely underrated early in his career).

But Hedman was just so steady for so long.

Doughty is great but gets a bit overrated IMO. He's been arguably the best of them the last 2-3 years but aside from that he's behind the swedes. The polling results seem to support this.
Your observations are correct but I think alot of casual fans have Doughty 3rd mainly because of counting stats.

If one takes a closer look at overall impact and playoff scoring the argument fades for Karlsson and increases most for Doughty.

I had it Hedman, Doughty then EK but some of that was swayed upon reflection by Herman's counting stats and the case for 1a and 1b or even Doughty as first is really strong here.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
I'm going to "go out on a limb" and say, if your goal is to win the Cup, I'd rather have Keith over Karlsson. As a rival fan, I respect Keith's accomplishments especially in the playoffs.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
doughty never came close to his true potential

I dunno man, for a guy whose limitations were he's pretty average sized, average skating, average shot, he killed it basically only with a big brain.

Physically he doesn't touch Karlsson or Hedman which is what makes him so impressive as a peer.

Hell I'd argue one of the reasons people don't think he's that great is because he's an ugly ass skater/he doesn't look pretty doing it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad