Karlsson vs Doughty vs Hedman

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

greatest

• Karlsson - Hedman - Doughty

• Karlsson - Doughty - Hedman

• Hedman - Doughty - Karlsson

• Hedman - Karlsson - Doughty

• Doughty - Hedman - Karlsson

• Doughty - Karlsson - Hedman

Results are only viewable after voting.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
how would you rank them?

Greatest overall (career, prime/peak)

Norris voting:
EK: 1,1,1,2,2,7
VH: 1,3,3,3,3,3,6,7
DD: 1,2,2,3,6,7

All-Star teams (1st/2nd):
EK: 1,1,1,1
VH: 1,2,2,2,2,2
DD: 1,1,2,2

Last edited:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Drew’s ability to control games is lost on most, but he and headman are very close. Easy 1A/1B argument to be made there.

EK is not a defenseman that you win championships with, so he is definitely a distant 3rd unless all you care about is points.

EK led a mediocre Senators team to G7 of the ECF.

He also was very good with the Sharks in their WCF run.

Seems like a victim of circumstance rather than a player you don’t win championships. I don’t think there is any difference between the Lightning with Hedman or EK if you replace them.

Basically the D version of Kopitar > Toews > Kane.

Hedman > Doughty > Kane.

Interesting to see this take given how you view McDavid over forwards.

EK’s 3 Norris trophies is rarefied work and he’s the only defenseman in the modern era to hit 100 pts.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

Karlsson - Hedman - Doughty

By 2024, there is still going to be a bunch of hockey fans that don't see the whole picture about this "defense thing" but I'd say this whole thing will be more assimilated by 2030-32

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
EK led a mediocre Senators team to G7 of the ECF.

He also was very good with the Sharks in their WCF run.

Seems like a victim of circumstance rather than a player you don’t win championships. I don’t think there is any difference between the Lightning with Hedman or EK if you replace them.

Interesting to see this take given how you view McDavid over forwards.

EK’s 3 Norris trophies is rarefied work and he’s the only defenseman in the modern era to hit 100 pts.
And the only defenseman of the 21st century to finish top 5 in scoring and top 10 in scoring more than once.

Reactions: Pablo El Perro

DitchMarner

TheGlitchintheSwitch
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
I haven't followed Doughty that closely the last number of years. I know circa 2014 he was great in general. He was physical, could handle the puck, scored points and could dominate play.

From what I remember, by about 2018 he had become a shell of his former self and had terrible analytics for a while. Some thought he was playing lazy hockey due to disinterest.

He seems to have gotten back on track, but how good has he been the last three or four years compared to his prime?

I feel like Hedman and Karlsson both have more seasons/time as good to elite defensemen.

Reactions: gsharpe

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
I haven't followed Doughty that closely the last number of years. I know circa 2014 he was great in general. He was physical, could handle the puck, scored points and could dominate play.

From what I remember, by about 2018 he had become a shell of his former self and had terrible analytics for a while. Some thought he was playing lazy hockey due to disinterest.

He seems to have gotten back on track, but how good has he been the last three or four years compared to his prime?

I feel like Hedman and Karlsson both have more seasons/time as good to elite defensemen.

Doughty has been good since the Kings have returned to the playoffs.

I feel like Doughty gets a ton of rope because of how good he was for Canada in the Olympics in 2010 and then the Kings in the cup runs. Outside of those performances I don’t think he really comes close to touching EK or Hedman career wise.

You can probably argue Hedman was the best all around D from 2015 - 2022. So I get the idea of placing him 1st.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Doughty has been good since the Kings have returned to the playoffs.

I feel like Doughty gets a ton of rope because of how good he was for Canada in the Olympics in 2010 and then the Kings in the cup runs. Outside of those performances I don’t think he really comes close to touching EK or Hedman career wise.

You can probably argue Hedman was the best all around D from 2015 - 2022. So I get the idea of placing him 1st.

To be fair, that was one of the weakest eras we’ve ever seen for consistency. Karlsson kept getting hurt, Doughty kind of gave up after the Kings went in the shitter, Keith and Chara got old, Weber got hurt, etc and there was a lull in new talent before the Makar, Hughes, Fox, Heiskanen, etc types started coming in.

Reactions: Connor McConnor

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
To be fair, that was one of the weakest eras we’ve ever seen for consistency. Karlsson kept getting hurt, Doughty kind of gave up after the Kings went in the shitter, Keith and Chara got old, Weber got hurt, etc and there was a lull in new talent before the Makar, Hughes, Fox, Heiskanen, etc types started coming in.

I'm not sure I'd call a defenseman back stopping his team to four SCF as a weak era of consistency.

Hedman was the most consistent player on the franchise that was closest to being a dynasty since the Islanders / Oilers.

Reactions: Stelio Kontos

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Drew’s ability to control games is lost on most, but he and headman are very close. Easy 1A/1B argument to be made there.

EK is not a defenseman that you win championships with, so he is definitely a distant 3rd unless all you care about is points.
/thread

Reactions: Rorschach

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
EK65 with Ottawa was a generational defenseman responsible for changing the way the game is played from the backend. Without Karlsson, there’s no Hughes, Makar, or Bouchard.

Hedman is next, and Due Doughty is a distant 3rd.
I don't think Bouchard fits in with the other three. He carries the puck and makes good plays like outlet passes, but I wouldn't consider him a speed demon.

Doughty seems to me to have more defensive zone presence than Hedman, but maybe Hedman is just more subtle about it.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

Exactly this even if it's a bit harsh on EK, the other 2 are just Dmen most NHL coaches and GMs would build their teams around the last 15 years, while EK is the guys fans would take in fantasy hockey pools.

I took Hedman but really it's a 1a/1b situation with Doughty.

Janvonpobben

Sep 15, 2021
Doughtys prime was too short. Hedman has been better for much longer.

Does anyone have top 5 norris finishes between the two?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad