Kaprizov vs Lafreniere: chance for Calder

Kaprizov vs Lafreniere for Calder

• Total voters

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Depends on what team Laf goes to. If a top 15 team loses their play-in and he ends up going to a legit team with a lot of top 6 talent he would be the favorite. But if he goes to one of the bottom 5 teams I don't think he'd be able to outproduce Kaprisov who has 5 years on him.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Kaprizov seems like a safe bet to be a real good player as soon as he enters the NHL. I mean Olofsson could have won the Calder if he didn’t get injured and Kaprizov is considered a far better prospect so it all depends on how quickly Lafreniere can establish himself. If I’m not mistaken he will be entering the league at 19 and he’s pretty big and strong already so I can see him hitting the ground running as well, it just depends if he ends up on Detroit or Ottawa he might not have the support

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
I think Lafreniere will score at a ~70 point pace, with some variance depending on what team he ends up on. Kaprizov, however, is going to a team where the franchise high in points is 83 and only 4 players have broken 70. I believe he's the only Russian too, which won't help his acclimation.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
I just really hope Kaprizov comes over and plays in the NHL next year/this playoffs maybe. Can't wait to see what he can do against NHL competition!

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Probably would give them similar odds. Edge to Lafreniere depending on what team he ends up on.

I do think Kaprizov is the best player not in the NHL at the moment. I also think Laf will be better by a considerable margin 5 years from now.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
So you’re saying that he’s the next Panarin?

Any other news from your time machine experience?

It's certainly not out of the question. His KHL numbers are better then Panarin, due to being a much better goal scorer in the KHL (their per game assist rates are nearly identical). Their best seasons are similiar 62 point seasons, but Panarin had Kovalchuk, Dadanov, and Shipachyov (guys who came to be Productive NHLers after that season) as support scoring 50 + points. Kaprizov had Vey, Grigerenko and Slepyshev scoring under 50, and not likely to make big NHL impacts in the future.

I think people under-estimate what Kaprizov has done over in the KHL.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
So you’re saying that he’s the next Panarin?

Any other news from your time machine experience?

Kaprizov is better around the net and Panarin is a better perimeter player. Of course, both are still pretty good the other way round. That's why Panarin is a superstar in the NHL, and that's why, I think, Kaprizov can become at least a star in the league too.

As to other hockey aspects, like zone entrance, playing along the boards, defensive playing, I think, Panarin is better at zone entrance (he's one of the best in the world at this aspect), and Kaprizov is better along the boards, because he's way bulkier, than Panarin.

Defensively, they are more or less on par.

I think, in his prime Kaprizov will be a PPG+ 40 goal scorer, can't say, will he ever score 50 goals or 100 points. People compare Kaprizov to Tarasenko, but I'd say, he's more like Dadonov on steroids.

Last edited:

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Whether it's fair or not...Kaprizov coming over as a much older "rookie", probably hurts his chances for the Calder vs Lafrenierre. Even if he somehow manages to match the performance in that given year. Voters always gravitate toward top picks in the recent drafts, vs guys who come over so much later in their career after "marinating" in foreign leagues for years. Older rookies are just generally treated a bit "differently" than fresh draft picks.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Whether it's fair or not...Kaprizov coming over as a much older "rookie", probably hurts his chances for the Calder vs Lafrenierre. Even if he somehow manages to match the performance in that given year. Voters always gravitate toward top picks in the recent drafts, vs guys who come over so much later in their career after "marinating" in foreign leagues for years. Older rookies are just generally treated a bit "differently" than fresh draft picks.

Thats why McDavid won the Calder over Panarin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad