Proposal: Kane for Kessel

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Honestly, I could see Kane ending up in the KHL…unless they can figure out a cross league trade, SJ is stuck

Worst case scenario is bury and carry the 5.875 mil cap hit until the buyout window. That buyout isn't that bad.

Bishop7979

Sep 9, 2005
I don't think an exercise in which one tries to quantify the number of assets it would take will get you anywhere in this case. He's going to be a problem for the Sharks to solve and no ownership group is going to have any interest in helping them out. I think the other clubs are just thanking their lucky stars this isn't something they have to deal with, to be honest.

They don't deserve it and there's a lot of sympathy for SJ, but that doesn't mean someone else wants any part of this. This sort of PR nightmare is just on another level and the players in the room basically already mutinied, making it clear they won't have him back.

I can't see many scenarios other than he serves his suspension and then is just sent home on paid leave the rest of the year, at which point the Sharks buy out the remaining two years on his deal.

Serves his suspension, the sharks try to demote him to the minors, he refuses to report and his contract is terminated is what I see. Kane is all ego, he won't go to the minors and will think if he's a free agent someone will pay him

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
Serves his suspension, the sharks try to demote him to the minors, he refuses to report and his contract is terminated is what I see. Kane is all ego, he won't go to the minors and will think if he's a free agent someone will pay him

Even with breach of contract, like refusing to report to the AHL, a termination of contract doesn't mean his cap hit completely disappears.

Shipachyov, for example, refused to report. But he agreed to a mutual contract termination so he could feely go back to the KHL. Evander Kane would likely not agree to terminate his contract, given his financial issues.

Mike Richards, as a different example, breached his contract and had his contract terminated. This was not mutual, and was decided by the team. In that case it left the Kings with a "termination fee" on their Cap that runs until 2032.

I don't think there's a way to get out of the Kane contract scot free for San Jose.

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
I actually think Kane would report to the AHL. No escrow. That's almost an extra $1 million for him even considering his 21 game suspension.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
San Jose needs a top-6 scorer and Kane needs a new start somewhere else. Arizona is in a great position to take a chance on him. Kane is younger and could be a good trading chip if he turns things around.

So Kessel for Kane straight up.

Fair?
Sharks aren't making the playoffs, So why would Kessel waive to go there? And why would Evander Kane waive for that dumpster fire of a team in Arizona? And why would they even want him.

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
I can't speak for AZ or Kessel, but the top state tax rate in AZ is almost 1/3 that of the top CA rate. Aside from escrow. at Kane's salary level, that's around a half million a year.

For someone who realistically may not ever get another contract after this one and is currently bankrupt, that's a lot of money to pass up.

Cynick

Know-Nothing
Dec 24, 2008
Toronto
Gotta think SJ is buying Kane out and just taking the hit. If they looked to trade him, they would be giving a lot more in the vein of what rt was saying. Nobody is rostering Kane.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Even with breach of contract, like refusing to report to the AHL, a termination of contract doesn't mean his cap hit completely disappears.

Shipachyov, for example, refused to report. But he agreed to a mutual contract termination so he could feely go back to the KHL. Evander Kane would likely not agree to terminate his contract, given his financial issues.

Mike Richards, as a different example, breached his contract and had his contract terminated. This was not mutual, and was decided by the team. In that case it left the Kings with a "termination fee" on their Cap that runs until 2032.

I don't think there's a way to get out of the Kane contract scot free for San Jose.
The Mike Richards’ termination penalty isn’t a made up number or something, the Kings agreed to pay Richards 10.5m over that period of years in the settlement over the contract termination and there’s a cap hit with those yearly payments.

There’s about a zero % chance that San Jose can get out of that contract completely without having to pay Kane anything, even if they figure out how to terminate it, if we’re using Richards as a precedent. And I don’t even see how SJ can pull off what LA did without criminal charges.

It’s too expensive to pay another team to take this hit though so the most likely scenario is SJ buried him this season and buys him out next off-season. Kane’s contract isn’t buyout proof and other players with similar sized deals have been bought out (Shattenkirk, Turris, Parise, Suter, etc).

Reactions: banks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad