Value of: Kakko to Colorado

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Same offer as earlier in the year. Kakko and Goodrow for Evander and a moderate plus.

Kane adds some pop and some goalscoring prowess to a veteran laden Rangers squad.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Same offer as earlier in the year. Kakko and Goodrow for Evander and a moderate plus.

Kane adds some pop and some goalscoring prowess to a veteran laden Rangers squad.

I’m questioning why we’d want to take Goodrow @3.6m till 26-27 and have to qualify Kakko @2.4m. Honestly what value are they offering the Oilers to justify eating $6m on the cap vs Kane @5.1m till 25-26 or finding a deal with better cap implications.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I think it’s getting harder and harder to use the “yeah but KK has good advanced metrics” excuse for a guy who just doesn’t do much out there to be excited about…but the Avs did turn Nuke into a legit star after bringing him back from the abyss so it’s a project I wouldn’t thumb my nose at. I wouldn’t pay an exorbitant cost to find out either and you can argue KK just doesn’t have Nuke’s pure physical traits, even back when Nuke was a project…a 6-4 project who has always skated like a runaway locomotive. IIRC the Avs did love Kaako a lot his draft year though. At least our forum did. He was the dream with that Ottawa pick.

Seems like Rangers fans opinions of him still vary quite a bit…from the “analytics still play, we definitely should not be looking to move on for nothing” to “fire him into the sun and dress any AHL player who will actually do something out on the ice”.

I have no idea what his value would be. He certainly hasn’t earned a raise from his current deal as an RFA this summer. Is he a diamond that needs more refining or Tyson Jost with a bigger frame?

Last edited:
Reactions: Hunter Gathers

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I’m questioning why we’d want to take Goodrow @3.6m till 26-27 and have to qualify Kakko @2.4m. Honestly what value are they offering the Oilers to justify eating $6m on the cap vs Kane @5.1m till 25-26 or finding a deal with better cap implications.
Goodrow is a solid bottom six player. Mutipositional, wins face-offs, PKs and a tonne of playoff experience.

Kakko is a nice player, but if he doesn't work out, he's still young enough where other teams would have interest.

Those two cover more depth than Kane does at his current cap hit.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I'd rather he model after Lehkonen than Rantanen.

Oh, not talking about his play. Just saying playing on the same team as someone like Rantanen could do a lot for him. Colorado is probably the only contending team I think he could do half decent on.

Add KK to the Puljujarvi, Kotkaneimi, Juolevi, Vesalainen bucket.

You're also forgetting literally EVERY SINGLE Finnish player from the 2004 draft other than 8th round pick Pekka Rinne.

All three Finnish first rounders were awful busts in that draft.

15 Finnish picks and only a single one was a good player (and one of the last of them selected). Wild stuff.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Kakko + Goodrow for Nuke lol.

If Nuke becomes clean he's virtually everything New York needs in one player and he was GPG+ these playoffs before the suspension. Its a gamble for sure but they gambled on Avery after his Dallas implosion. They're a pretty disciplined organization with intense management, culture and demanding fans to hold him accountable, and moving away from where the negative routine is helps.

New York is about the worst location for a player with substance issues.
Goodrow is a solid bottom six player. Mutipositional, wins face-offs, PKs and a tonne of playoff experience.

Kakko is a nice player, but if he doesn't work out, he's still young enough where other teams would have interest.

I’d have to have 50% retention on Goodrow to personally want to touch that contract. 3.6m for 3 years is just not a good use of cap space.

Reactions: viceroy

koivu2k1

Oct 1, 2017
Barron and a 3rd round pick for KK makes sense. Good hockey trade, Gorton and Bobrov can try to get KK going again, Rangers get a cheap young RH D with size and potential.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
No lowball offer is enuf to justify moving KK, who like LaF has, while not elite, still signif serious upside potential.
Rs need beast factor
so far Fs w/that: Kreider, Rempe, to a lesser extent Trochek

He is not off the table but he is NOT gonna be discounted, and he is gonna require enuf overpay in currency Rs want, or NO

thefutures

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
I remember when kakko was better than laf. If newhook gets a 1st I see atleast a a 2nd for kakko

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Sharks have a place for both.

Give us something fun (nothing remotely crazy - maybe a super low floor, high ceiling random late-round prospect) and they're yours.

Barron and a 3rd round pick for KK makes sense. Good hockey trade, Gorton and Bobrov can try to get KK going again, Rangers get a cheap young RH D with size and potential.

I'd do it but I'd want to find a way to get his brother back. Not that Morgan Barron is any good or anything, but I like the idea of a pair. Because I am weird.

I’d have to have 50% retention on Goodrow to personally want to touch that contract. 3.6m for 3 years is just not a good use of cap space.

No thanks. If we moved Kakko, we don't need to move Goodrow. If we moved Trouba and Kakko, it's even less of an issue.

Goodrow moves at full salary for a late round pick or he doesn't move at all. Rangers aren't retaining. The guy's play this playoffs shows he still has value. He's been one of our better forwards, which isn't saying much. But it's obvious what he brings in the post-season. If he was making $2.6M, no one would care. Hell, if he was making $3M people would barely say anything.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
Analysis of Kakko has to completely disregard where he was drafted. Get out of your mind that he's Kaapo Kakko "future star" and start looking at him as "Kaapo Kakko, third line wing".

Kakko is an excellent defensive forward who is hard to knock off the puck and generates chances for his team every time he is on the ice. When healthy, he'll get you 15-20 goals easy. I wouldn't be shocked if he had 25 goals/50 points and low tier Selke consideration at his peak. Wouldn't even be shocked if he scored 30+ goals in a career high season, but that shouldn't be the expectation. What Kakko lacks is finishing ability, which sucks because if he was a better finisher with the opportunities he generates, he'd be an elite goal scorer on a regular basis.

As it were, expect that Kakko is going to drive possession and get you 15 goals on the third line.

He's a very valuable player, IF you can bother to forget that he was once the #2 overall pick and touted as a potential superstar.
Kakko has had some bad luck. I believe he's gotten hot 3 times in 2-3 years and immediately gotten injured in all three times.

He is good in corners and frequently makes nice set ups coming out of them - sadly to lineups who can't bury the puck any better than him. He did have that one great stretch pass to break out Cuylle vs CAR in the playoffs. He really missed Chytil who is the shooter on that line and was someone would actually cash in on those dishes.

It's really hard to come up with a value for Kakko. I feel like he's going to be - not a throw in - but a second part of the trade. Much like -UGH- J.T. Miller was in the McD trade. A trade that makes calculating his value even harder because it's like what part of the package exactly equals player A vs Kakko? It's like when salary is retained, it's not always clear how much was paid for that retention vs player value.

Ex. Trouba + Kakko for ???

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015

They combined for 31 points in the regular season they don't cover jack squat for depth. Grabbing Kakko is just going down the same path you just exited with Puljujarvi its not even remotely worth thinking about let alone actually doing.

QuizGuy66

Sep 12, 2011
I think Kakko would probably best be served to a low-key kind of destination where he can blend in and do his thing absent the millstone of his draft position. I think things were compounded for him being drafted immediately after Hughes for by their biggest rival (and after weeks and weeks of Boomer Esiason hyping him up on the radio). I wonder if they would have developed him a bit better if they did something to akin to what the Devils did with Hischier and get a veteran countryman onto the team to take him under his wing for those early years (Devils getting fellow Swiss Micro Mueller at the time) - you basically had an 18-year-old kid from Finland dropped into NYC with nobody to relate too - couldn't have helped (and there is surely enough Finns around that would have served the purpose).

I mean as a Devils fan I have no complaints as to how it all turned out but as a hockey fan sort of a shame that what could have been a fun decade-and-a-half rivalry with him and Hughes fizzled out.

As has been stated up thread if you strip away the draft status Kakko really could have a nice career as a key 3rd-line defensive forward that a fanbase can really enjoy.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
They combined for 31 points in the regular season they don't cover jack squat for depth. Grabbing Kakko is just going down the same path you just exited with Puljujarvi its not even remotely worth thinking about let alone actually doing.
Covering a bottom six C role and a middle six wing spot is doing exactly that: filling out depth. One of our more productive depth forwards in the regular season, Foegele, is currently in the press box in the Conference Finals, while our forwards who produced less than the two Ranger forwards being discussed are playing integral minutes on our fourth line. Scoring big goals.

Kane is a guy who needs skilled linemates to bring any sort of tangible value. And Draisaitl has shown this year that he doesn't necessarily need that caliber of finisher to have a functional second scoring line.

I would still happily make that trade. I think it's going to be tough filling out the bottom six next year if Foegele, Henrique, Brown and Janmark decide to price themselves out of Edmonton and Perry and Ryan choose to retire. The two Rangers pieces are guys with a history of being strong defensive forwards.

Last edited:

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Goodrow is a serviceable vet though. You know what you're getting with him and the valuable part of his game isn't all that likely to regress.

What Kane brings, Edmonton already has a lot of.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Take the "L" and move on from the guy. He could very well get a boost on a team like Colorado, but how often does a tiger change their stripes?

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Where have I been? I've been here, in the real world, where a suspension doesn't mean a player is suddenly "gone." They can't "terminate" his contract and I don't see what possible reason they would have to trade him away when he's at his lowest value.

In the real world, they certainly can, and very likely will.

He won't play another game in Colorado, that's for sure.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
In the real world, they certainly can, and very likely will.

He won't play another game in Colorado, that's for sure.

This is outstanding news!

Please let Chris MacFarland know because that idiot claims it's not an option.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad