Player Discussion Kaiden Guhle

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
What do you mean, he’s flying across my tv screen all the time upside down and sideways. I think he’s “tough” in that he goes in traffic but he does not seem to scare any nhlers at all (unless we count 5’9” Marco Rossi), he should adjust his game or get big if he wants to survive.

I find his mobility much more of an asset, maybe he was hurting guys in jr?
In juniors he was notorious for incredible gap control and perfeCarly executed hits.

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
So is Xhekaj, I also suspect Slaf will be. The fact is these guys are not the average. They not even the above average, they're the absolute top of the food chain.

I suspect Guhle will be a force in two or three years.
Rempe shouldn’t be mentioned in the same sentence as these two. Rempe is more of a throwback than an outlier/unicorn. His role is becoming obsolete. Rempe reminds me of the old Commodore 64

Attachments

• IMG_4069.png
    IMG_4069.png
    312.2 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

Chili

What wind blew you hither?
Jun 10, 2004
On one hand there is some risk with these type of contracts with the belief the player will continue to improve. On the other, they have the 1/3 of the contract buyout option until the player turns 26 years of age (as the Sens did with Colin White a few years ago) if he regresses. Seems like a good contract.

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
I believe we are saying the same things. His physicality in the nhl is a potential and not an asset. He has plenty assets to be a regular and the potential is awesome.

Wow just saw the contract. Perfect.
Agreed. With his elite skating as long as he takes away time and space we’re golden. Allowing him to activate more often on the offence will be a huge plus! And yes, that contract is a KH special

Reactions: Naslundforever

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
wanted 8 years for 6~6.5M, 6 years @ 5.5M is pretty much that but still a bit sad we didn't lock him up for max term

i guess both sides were happy with this, Guhle might cash in on 1 last big contract and Hughes isn't risking tying up money for too long with Guhle's injury concerns, those last 2 years might not age well

there's our cup window tho, next 7-8 years, it's time to load up and compete

Reactions: Andrei79

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
wanted 8 years for 6~6.5M, 6 years @ 5.5M is pretty much that but still a bit sad we didn't lock him up for max term

i guess both sides were happy with this, Guhle might cash in on 1 last big contract and Hughes isn't risking tying up money for too long with Guhle's injury concerns, those last 2 years might not age well

there's our cup window tho, next 7-8 years, it's time to load up and compete
7 years would have been preferable. His contract would have ended in 2032 which would have been a different year than the other contracts,

Suzuki 2030
Caufield 2031
Guhle 2032 (with a 7 years contract)
Slaf 2033

Ideally you don't want to renegociate more than one big contract a year. I guess Guhle did not want to do 7 years unless it was in the 7 millions range or something close to that. WE'll have to renegociate Caufield and Guhle in the same years from july 1st 2030 to july 1st 2031.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
7 years would have been preferable. His contract would have ended in 2032 which would have been a different year than the other contracts,

Suzuki 2030
Caufield 2031
Slaf 2033

Ideally you don't want to renegociate more than one big contract a year. I guess Guhle did not want to do 7 years unless it was in the 7 millions range or something close to that. WE'll have to renegociate Caufield and Guhle in the same years from july 1st 2030 to july 1st 2031.
ya but with a lot of quality younger guys coming up as well we'll be able to extend the window a bit longer (Reinbacher/Hutson/Demidov etc) assuming Hughes/Gorton have good asset management

jordy

Apr 18, 2007
Yikes. Seems like hughes is going on potential rather than performance. This is my take in the slaf contract as well. Has guhle shown enough yet to deserve this. My answer is no. I think a 2 year prove it deal similar to what xhekaj or barron got is what they should of did here. Guhle is more proven than those two so he would deserve a bit more money. But lets not forget how injury prone and inconsistent hes been.

Hope he proves me wrong.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal

Suzuki 2030
Caufield 2031
Slaf 2033

First off. Lol
These are problems 6 years in the future bud.. SIX lol
And those are the problems you *want* to have, if things are going as great as we hope

Secondly, Guhle agent wanted 8 years, and Hughes was apparently firm on the 'No' for that

He knows what he's doing

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
First off. Lol
And those are the problems you *want* to have, if things are going as great as we hope

Secondly, Guhle agent wanted 8 years, and Hughes was apparently firm on the 'No' for that

He knows what he's doing

Guhle's agent wanted Sanderson's contract. I agree that Guhle probably shouldn't get an AAV of 8 right now.

Reactions: Redux91

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
First off. Lol

He knows what he's doing
Pretty sure Canes did not want to have this problem. They had like 5 UFA to resign. MB also had this problem just before beign fired. It's almost impossible to sign that many UFA in one year. It's absolutely not a problem you want to have.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Pretty sure Canes did not want to have this problem. They had like 5 UFA to resign. MB also had this problem just before beign fired. It's almost impossible to sign that many UFA in one year. It's absolutely not a problem you want to have.
I don't know what to tell you bud
Go look at what the team looked like 6 years ago

A *lot* can happen between now and 2030

But hopefully a couple of those things a Stanley Cup or 3 :D

No sense worrying about future financials *now*

(Also, please lol, Dundon is a notorious cheapskate, while we're one of the most lucrative franchises in *sports*)

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Yikes. Seems like hughes is going on potential rather than performance. This is my take in the slaf contract as well. Has guhle shown enough yet to deserve this. My answer is no. I think a 2 year prove it deal similar to what xhekaj or barron got is what they should of did here. Guhle is more proven than those two so he would deserve a bit more money. But lets not forget how injury prone and inconsistent hes been.

Hope he proves me wrong.

There is no benefit to keeping him cheap over the next two seasons as we will still have Gallagher, Anderson and Price as financial roadblocks and we shouldn't be contending at that point. Why would you ever want to save money over these two seasons to risk having to pay significantly more on his next contract which will be during the years that we are expecting to contend.

Hughes is an expert in this field and you are not exactly enlightening him with these simplistic and flawed views. Guhle is 22 and only needs to take a single step forward to justify his contract. If he takes two or more steps forward he is a bargain. There is always risk in making these types of deals but once again Hughes has hit a home-run from a carefully calculated risk/reward balance that has put him in a very favourable probability to at least have reached fair value with a very real opportunity to exceed it. Cheap bridge contracts can often severely backfire when the player explodes and is able to demand far more at the end of two years than he ever could have asked for at the time of the bridge offer.

Hughes is quite literally my favourite Hab and may end up being the best GM in the NHL if he isn't already.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012

Hope he proves me wrong.
Yep he’s going on potential more than performance. That’s what he’s done with Suzuki and CC too to varying degrees.

He’s gambling that they’ll be worth more than what they’re getting paid. He believes in his core. I do too

jordy

Apr 18, 2007
Yep he’s going on potential more than performance. That’s what he’s done with Suzuki and CC too to varying degrees.

He’s gambling that they’ll be worth more than what they’re getting paid. He believes in his core. I do too
I believe in suzuki and cole. They actually played well and showed something prior to the big contracts. I would say they earned them.

Im not so sure about guhle. Like i said in my initial post I hope he proves me wrong.

Im more so concerned about slaflovsky but thats getting off topic

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I believe in suzuki and cole. They actually played well and showed something prior to the big contracts. I would say they earned them.

Im not so sure about guhle. Like i said in my initial post I hope he proves me wrong.

Like I said, Hughes is gambling on them to varying degrees. Suzuki and CC arguably ‘earned’ them more. All players/ agents are different. What certain players accomplish in their ELCs are different.

Slaf has shown more earlier than Suzuki and CC. It’s hardly unreasonable to think Slaf has the higher upside. So if Hughes wants to get Slaf at a good price, he’s going to have to gamble more. Same with Guhle

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I just think back to the Subban fiasco. I still can’t believe it happened. I was actually shocked that he didn’t walk.

But he wanted so much to be a Hab.

Reactions: Redux91

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
On one hand there is some risk with these type of contracts with the belief the player will continue to improve. On the other, they have the 1/3 of the contract buyout option until the player turns 26 years of age (as the Sens did with Colin White a few years ago) if he regresses. Seems like a good contract.
There is no risk, he's well worth that money, right now today. Matt Roy signed at a 250k premium for the same number of years and he is nowhere near as good as Guhle and he does not have the upside of Guhle. It's below market value.

Reactions: Andrei79

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
There is no risk, he's well worth that money, right now today. Matt Roy signed at a 250k premium for the same number of years and he is nowhere near as good as Guhle and he does not have the upside of Guhle. It's below market value.

I've seen some posters say Guhle struggled this past year, but I fully disagree. He had some growing pains, but who wouldn't when you're the player they send out against Mackinnon and McDavid, while responding to those assignments brilliantly. Thankfully, the coaching staff saw the same thing and said as much in an interview this summer. He's a 5.5M player right now if you look at how UFAs are paid. He'll only get stronger, meaner and more solid defensively.

I know some see Hutson with Reinbacher, but I really want to see Reinbacher with Guhle. The puck would never stay in our zone very long.

I just think back to the Subban fiasco. I still can’t believe it happened. I was actually shocked that he didn’t walk.

But he wanted so much to be a Hab.

This is the most insane part.

You have a player who grew up a Habs fan, performed brilliantly in the playoffs and was fully ready to sign a fair deal... and then you treat him like that. Then again, previous management treated so many players poorly, aside from Gallagher and Price, that it isn't all that surprising.

Last edited:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I've seen some posters say Guhle struggled this past year, but I fully disagree. He had some growing pains, but who wouldn't when you're the player they send out against Mackinnon and McDavid, while responding to those assignments brilliantly. Thankfully, the coaching staff saw the same thing and said as much in an interview this summer. He's a 5.5M player right now if you look at how UFAs are paid. He'll only get stronger, meaner and more solid defensively.

I know some see Hutson with Reinbacher, but I really want to see Reinbacher with Guhle. The puck would never stay in our zone very long.

This is the most insane part.

You have a player who grew up a Habs fan, performed brilliantly in the playoffs and was fully ready to sign a fair deal... and then you treat him like that. Then again, previous management treated so many players poorly, aside from Gallagher and Price, that it isn't all that surprising.
It's very weird how Guhle is perceived both from fans of this team and fans of other teams. It's crazy how much DB scouting goes around. We mention struggle, I see him go toe-to-toe with the best players in the league and at the very least not looking like a fool to looking downright brilliant. It's a bit sad, is it because he's a Timmins and Bergevin product ? Could be the same reason Suzuki, Caufield and Roy also get a lot of criticism.

Guhle has been much better than Caufield so far in their respective career, and he is younger.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $1,050.00