Player Discussion Kaiden Guhle

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Damphousse said something I found a little bit intriguing last night.
He was put on his off wing early in his career and wasn't very comfortable.
He felt that eventually it made him a better player when he returned to his strong side.
Maybe it will work that way with Kaiden Guhle.
I certainly don't think too many fans see this as a long term solution.

I agree with this. I just think: we'll see if this continues for a couple of years. Because we're much deeper on the left side and may want to find a spot in the top 6 for all of Matheson, Hutson, Xhekaj, and Struble, and maybe even Engstrom. So Guhle may play on the right just to get the best 6 dmen in the top 6. Plus Savard likely won't be her after next year.

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016
Damphousse said something I found a little bit intriguing last night.
He was put on his off wing early in his career and wasn't very comfortable.
He felt that eventually it made him a better player when he returned to his strong side.
Maybe it will work that way with Kaiden Guhle.
I certainly don't think too many fans see this as a long term solution.

I tought Vinny was trying to counter the negativity of the other guy's on the panel yesterday :laugh:

Making Ghule play on his off side so he will be better when going back to his strong side ......looks like.5D coaching at his best to me

Reactions: Rapala

badfish

Habs fan in ON
Sponsor
Nov 12, 2005
ON
If Guhle goes back on the left side, that slides Xhekaj down to 3rd pair. I've enjoyed Xhekaj's recent games and wouldn't want to see him have reduced minutes.

Reactions: habbubba

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Hope his body holds up until we need him when we are competitive , guy gets hit hard very often , he is a gamer so you respect him trying to make a play regardless of score/position in the standings , but he's also one of our most important dmen going forward , needs to protect himself better

Reactions: cphabs

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Great game by Kayden tonight, the kid is all heart.

Just wish they would use his offensive skill more and also let him play his development years on his strong side, we had a great example of how easier it would be for him on his goal tonight

I hope that they put him on the left side for the long term. It is not a bad idea to get him some time on the right side but his future is on the left.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
If Guhle goes back on the left side, that slides Xhekaj down to 3rd pair. I've enjoyed Xhekaj's recent games and wouldn't want to see him have reduced minutes.
I would tell Matheson to prepare himself mentally for playing that right side next season.
We find ourselves constantly interchanging our Dmen anyway.
Guhle's progression should be on his strong side as the younger core piece.
And in no way should we allow Matheson to prevent Xhekaj from growing in that 2nd pairing slot.
Those two guys will be spanking each other for a long time if we are fortunate. :laugh:

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
The way he gets knocked around at times it seems as if KK is playing D for Montreal. lol
he definitely needs to get stronger, that's the main area he needs to work on

it'll make a huge difference for him because you can tell that stylistically he's used to separating people (physically) from the puck, he's still having trouble doing that vs big NHL'ers

that'll be a process he'll have to go through in the gym every off season tho, it won't happen over night

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Needs to stop diving/embellishing.
I can't recall a single incident. unless you mean him being weak on his skates and getting high sticked in the face and reacting appropriately....

Anyway, Guhle is weak af and he better hit the gym or else he's going to be a better version of Kulak. I love his talent but he can't run around and think he's Weber like he did in Jr. Big hits are completely absent from his game, unless he's taking one.

Reactions: Jaynki

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
I can't recall a single incident. unless you mean him being weak on his skates and getting high sticked in the face and reacting appropriately....

Anyway, Guhle is weak af and he better hit the gym or else he's going to be a better version of Kulak. I love his talent but he can't run around and think he's Weber like he did in Jr. Big hits are completely absent from his game, unless he's taking one.
Maybe he can use Arber's buddy pass this summer, and watch what he does... beef him up some.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
I see many posters wanting more offensive numbers about Guhle…
One thing I learnt about Dman playing CHL on their junior years. You better expect the number of goals or points divided by 2 (/2) instead of multiplicated by 2 (x2).
I mean. 19/20 : 11 goals, 40 pts
20-21 : injured
21/22 : 7 goals, 40 pts..

If Guhle become a regular 5 goals, 30 points inthe NHL plus having a positive ratio, this gonna be a success. I have a feeling that many posters sees an offensive dman in Guhle, I personnally don’t. But this is not bad thing. You want that kind of dman as number 3

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
If Guhle become a regular 5 goals, 30 points inthe NHL plus having a positive ratio, this gonna be a success. I have a feeling that many posters sees an offensive dman in Guhle, I personnally don’t. But this is not bad thing. You want that kind of dman as number 3
An injury prone 3D who doesn't get more than 35 points is... fine. You can pick them up on the trade of FA market, though. He's not untouchable as a trade piece then.

I think Guhle has more to give though.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I see many posters wanting more offensive numbers about Guhle…
One thing I learnt about Dman playing CHL on their junior years. You better expect the number of goals or points divided by 2 (/2) instead of multiplicated by 2 (x2).
I mean. 19/20 : 11 goals, 40 pts
20-21 : injured
21/22 : 7 goals, 40 pts..

Not all 3D's are created equal though. I'm assuming people would call him a 3d because of the lack of offense. But the lack of offense doesn't affect the defensive end. If he's elite defensively, then he's a huge piece.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I tought Vinny was trying to counter the negativity of the other guy's on the panel yesterday :laugh:

Making Ghule play on his off side so he will be better when going back to his strong side ......looks like.5D coaching at his best to me
I just think Vinny is smarter than most of the panel members we typically get on RDS.

Reactions: CDN24

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Not all 3D's are created equal though. I'm assuming people would call him a 3d because of the lack of offense. But the lack of offense doesn't affect the defensive end. If he's elite defensively, then he's a huge piece.
He has more 5v5 points than Matheson as a 21-22 years old. His offensive game is excellent.

Reactions: 26Mats

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad